This explains a lot about the world



bkaapcke

New Member
May 3, 2006
131
0
0
Here's how bad it really is. When I first started practicing law, our firm required us to do court appointed misdemeanor cases, as a way to get some real world experience. In the 3 to 4 years I was in the program, I represented about 300 people. They ALL couldn't read. Except for a few immigrants, they all had sat through 10-12 years of public school. They had been passed along until they either quit or 'graduated'. Several converstaions with kother defense attorneys revealed that they were running into the same thing.

This is why the school establishment is so dead set against high school exit exams. They are afraid the public will find out what a crappy job they are doing with our money. bk
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
2
0
bkaapcke said:
This is why the school establishment is so dead set against high school exit exams. They are afraid the public will find out what a crappy job they are doing with our money. bk
True. When universities have remedial reading and math classes you know the system is farked up.

But it is the incompetent people who are under the impression that they are much more competent than they are that I find fascinating. In the article they describe how people who scored at the highest levels in grammar rated themselves lower than they actually were. When they had a chance to examine other people's work, they realized they were much better than they had rated themselves. Yet people who had scored at the lower end of the spectrum overrated--by ludicrous amounts--their ability, and examining other people's work did not change their assessment of themselves. So it is not just a matter of ignorance or lack of knowledge, like the inability to read; it is true stupidity, just a total lack of critical thinking.

It makes you think about how it applies to more complex skills, like the bad surgeon who thinks he is good, the horrible manager unable to realize he is an jerk, the imbecile politician who thinks he is a great president, etc.
 

slovakguy

Active Member
Mar 17, 2006
1,898
33
0
bkaapcke said:
This is why the school establishment is so dead set against high school exit exams. They are afraid the public will find out what a crappy job they are doing with our money. bk

having seen the intensity some students bring to their own education first hand, i'd say you are expecting far too much of educators. the horse to water cliche. don't scapegoat the teacher when the entire system is failing.
 

bkaapcke

New Member
May 3, 2006
131
0
0
You're right, the whole system is failing. Yet, my daughter, who soaks up education like a sponge did quite well in public school. She knewthat you only get out what you put in, so she put in a lot.

M best guesstimate, after dealing with a large cross section of the local population as a lawyer is this; 70-75% are at various levels in the incompetent range, 15% are plodders (work and pay their bills, but aren't going anywhere) and the rest is split between the above averagers and the wizards. I saw so much incompetence, and barely competent, that it is frightening. The top 25-30% ar pulling the wagon for all. bk
 

weedvspeed

New Member
Jul 16, 2007
54
0
0
bkaapcke said:
You're right, the whole system is failing. Yet, my daughter, who soaks up education like a sponge did quite well in public school. She knewthat you only get out what you put in, so she put in a lot.

M best guesstimate, after dealing with a large cross section of the local population as a lawyer is this; 70-75% are at various levels in the incompetent range, 15% are plodders (work and pay their bills, but aren't going anywhere) and the rest is split between the above averagers and the wizards. I saw so much incompetence, and barely competent, that it is frightening. The top 25-30% ar pulling the wagon for all. bk
Are you taking the ****? 70%(incomp.)+15%(plod.)+25%(top)=110%
I've used your lowest figures and still come out at an impossible number ! :eek:
Good job lawyers need english more than math.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
2
0
weedvspeed said:
Are you taking the ****? 70%(incomp.)+15%(plod.)+25%(top)=110%
I've used your lowest figures and still come out at an impossible number ! :eek:
Good job lawyers need english more than math.
City of Los Angeles
High School Math Proficiency Exam
Name: _______________________
Gang: _______________________

1. Dwayne has an AK47 with a 30 round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive by shooting, how many drive by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?

2. If Jose has two ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8 ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn’t cut it?

3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus can pay for his $800 per day crack habit?

4. Jarome wants to cut his 1/2 pound of Heroin to make 20% more profit. How many ounces of cut will he need?

5. Willie gets $200 for stealing a BMW, $50 for a Chevy and $100 for a 4×4. If he has stolen 2 BMW’s and 3 4×4’s, how many Chevy’s will he have to steal to make $800?
 

Crankyfeet

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
10,817
0
36
Bro Deal said:
City of Los Angeles
High School Math Proficiency Exam
Name: _______________________
Gang: _______________________

1. Dwayne has an AK47 with a 30 round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive by shooting, how many drive by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?

2. If Jose has two ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8 ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn’t cut it?

3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus can pay for his $800 per day crack habit?

4. Jarome wants to cut his 1/2 pound of Heroin to make 20% more profit. How many ounces of cut will he need?

5. Willie gets $200 for stealing a BMW, $50 for a Chevy and $100 for a 4×4. If he has stolen 2 BMW’s and 3 4×4’s, how many Chevy’s will he have to steal to make $800?
ROTFL. Paradoxically, if they worded math problems in class like this, a lot more kids would listen and learn.

Thanks for the article. Although it has destroyed my self-confidence. I previously assumed people didn't laugh at my attempted humor because they just didn't get it. I am now faced with the more plausible reality that I am just not funny.

Ignorance was bliss. Damn you Bro Deal.:(
 

Gus Riley

New Member
Jan 12, 2004
58
1
0
slovakguy said:
having seen the intensity some students bring to their own education first hand, i'd say you are expecting far too much of educators. the horse to water cliche. don't scapegoat the teacher when the entire system is failing.

... and teachers tend to be easy scapegoats for those with bad parenting skills.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
2
0
Gus Riley said:
... and teachers tend to be easy scapegoats for those with bad parenting skills.
The education issue has veered off the meaning of the article, but I think the education problem is mainly cultural. Many segments of society do not place the proper value on education. Other segments do and their members do very well for themselves in general. The parents can only do so much when the child is immersed in a culture giving him opposite signals.

It is a bad sign when the football coach is usually the highest paid person at a university. It is an even worse sign when the sports programs are funded at a level many times that of the library.

Whether we want government attempting to mold culture is a huge question. Big corporations already do that with their pervasive advertising though.
 

Crankyfeet

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
10,817
0
36
Bro Deal said:
The education issue has veered off the meaning of the article, but I think the education problem is mainly cultural. Many segments of society do not place the proper value on education. Other segments do and their members do very well for themselves in general. The parents can only do so much when the child is immersed in a culture giving him opposite signals.

It is a bad sign when the football coach is usually the highest paid person at a university. It is an even worse sign when the sports programs are funded at a level many times that of the library.

Whether we want government attempting to mold culture is a huge question. Big corporations already do that with their pervasive advertising though.
Well...do you think the alumni are going to be more proud of their ****-hot college football team or their ****-hot college library?

At least the library offers immortality with naming rights I suppose.

But the education system hasn't changed enough to mirror a more specialized society. When everyone's learning advanced algebra....but only about 2% actually need it, the system is more about ensuring jobs for algebra teachers than adapting to a less generalized market-place.

I know this contradicts the paradigm that we need to focus more on math in the US. But I think we lose a lot of people who drop out of high school because they are forced to pass math at a level way beyond their life needs.