this explains a lot

JD

Guest
New drug acts as marijuana in the brain
MONTREAL, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- A McGill University study suggests a new
anti-depressant drug works by raising levels of endocannabinoids --
similar to
a substance found in marijuana.

The study suggests the new drug, called URB597, might represent a safer

alternative to use of marijuana for treatment of pain and depression,
and open
the door to new and improved treatments for clinical depression.

In pre-clinical laboratory tests researchers found URB597 increased the

production of endocannabinoids by blocking their degradation, resulting

in
measurable antidepressant effects.

"This is the first time it has been shown a drug that increases
endocannabinoids in the brain can improve your mood," said lead
investigator
Dr. Gabriella Gobbi, a researcher at Montreal and McGill Universities.

The researchers, including scientists from the University of
California-Irvine, were able to measure serotonin and noradrenaline
activity
as a result of the increased endocannabinoids.

"The results were similar to the effect we might expect from the use of

commonly prescribed antidepressants, which are effective on only around

30
percent of the population," said Gobbi. "Our discovery strengthens the
case
for URB597 as a safer, non-addictive, non-psychotropic alternative to
cannabis
for the treatment of pain and depression."

Our pal jack, aka sylco must be one of the test dummies in this study.

JD

JD wrote:
> New drug acts as marijuana in the brain
> MONTREAL, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- A McGill University study suggests a new
> anti-depressant drug works by raising levels of endocannabinoids --
> similar to
> a substance found in marijuana.
>
> The study suggests the new drug, called URB597, might represent a safer
>
> alternative to use of marijuana for treatment of pain and depression,
> and open
> the door to new and improved treatments for clinical depression.
>
> In pre-clinical laboratory tests researchers found URB597 increased the
>
> production of endocannabinoids by blocking their degradation, resulting
>
> in
> measurable antidepressant effects.
>
> "This is the first time it has been shown a drug that increases
> endocannabinoids in the brain can improve your mood," said lead
> investigator
> Dr. Gabriella Gobbi, a researcher at Montreal and McGill Universities.
>
> The researchers, including scientists from the University of
> California-Irvine, were able to measure serotonin and noradrenaline
> activity
> as a result of the increased endocannabinoids.
>
> "The results were similar to the effect we might expect from the use of
>
> commonly prescribed antidepressants, which are effective on only around
>
> 30
> percent of the population," said Gobbi. "Our discovery strengthens the
> case
> for URB597 as a safer, non-addictive, non-psychotropic alternative to
> cannabis
> for the treatment of pain and depression."
>

> Our pal jack, aka sylco must be one of the test dummies in this study.
>
> JD

Seems pointless when there's already a natural alternative.

Matt

JD wrote:
> New drug acts as marijuana in the brain
> MONTREAL, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- A McGill University study suggests a new
> anti-depressant drug works by raising levels of endocannabinoids --
> similar to
> a substance found in marijuana.
>
> The study suggests the new drug, called URB597, might represent a safer
>
> alternative to use of marijuana for treatment of pain and depression,
> and open
> the door to new and improved treatments for clinical depression.
>
> In pre-clinical laboratory tests researchers found URB597 increased the
>
> production of endocannabinoids by blocking their degradation, resulting
>
> in
> measurable antidepressant effects.
>
> "This is the first time it has been shown a drug that increases
> endocannabinoids in the brain can improve your mood," said lead
> investigator
> Dr. Gabriella Gobbi, a researcher at Montreal and McGill Universities.
>
> The researchers, including scientists from the University of
> California-Irvine, were able to measure serotonin and noradrenaline
> activity
> as a result of the increased endocannabinoids.
>
> "The results were similar to the effect we might expect from the use of
>
> commonly prescribed antidepressants, which are effective on only around
>
> 30
> percent of the population," said Gobbi. "Our discovery strengthens the
> case
> for URB597 as a safer, non-addictive, non-psychotropic alternative to
> cannabis
> for the treatment of pain and depression."
>

> Our pal jack, aka sylco must be one of the test dummies in this study.
>
> JD

Not that I haven't seen the negative effects of smoking dope, but this
study sounds to me like a lab taking something natural and free,
tweaking it with some synthetic substances, and selling it back to the
population at a premium.

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> JD wrote:
>
>>New drug acts as marijuana in the brain

<snip>

> Not that I haven't seen the negative effects of smoking dope, but this
> study sounds to me like a lab taking something natural and free,
> tweaking it with some synthetic substances, and selling it back to the
> population at a premium.
>
> /s

And the side effects of the natural version are pretty well-known. I
wonder what they'll discover about this stuff after people have been
taking it for a few years.

Matt

Scott Gordo wrote:

> Not that I haven't seen the negative effects of smoking dope, but this
> study sounds to me like a lab taking something natural and free,
> tweaking it with some synthetic substances, and selling it back to the
> population at a premium.

Most drugs are, nothing new. Doesn't eliminate the "natural" product
from the market (like Canibus hasn't been drastically changed from in
wild form). Plus you don't have to smoke it.

Shawn

Anybody else hungry?

news:[email protected]...

MattB wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > New drug acts as marijuana in the brain
> > MONTREAL, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- A McGill University study suggests a new
> > anti-depressant drug works by raising levels of endocannabinoids --
> > similar to
> > a substance found in marijuana.

> Seems pointless when there's already a natural alternative.

Totally, which is why it makes sense that a place that hires janitors
like jack would do something else lame.

JD

MattB wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:
>>
>>> New drug acts as marijuana in the brain

> <snip>
>

>> Not that I haven't seen the negative effects of smoking dope, but this
>> study sounds to me like a lab taking something natural and free,
>> tweaking it with some synthetic substances, and selling it back to the
>> population at a premium.
>> /s
>>

> And the side effects of the natural version are pretty well-known. I
> wonder what they'll discover about this stuff after people have been
> taking it for a few years.
>
> Matt

Nothing major, just irreversible baldness, your penis shrivels to to
size of a baby carrot (and that's erect) and you sprout a vagina that
oozes a yellow/greenish pus for the rest of your days on this planet.
_____
Slack

Slack wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> Scott Gordo wrote:

>> <snip>
>>

>>> Not that I haven't seen the negative effects of smoking dope, but this
>>> study sounds to me like a lab taking something natural and free,
>>> tweaking it with some synthetic substances, and selling it back to the
>>> population at a premium.
>>> /s
>>>

>> And the side effects of the natural version are pretty well-known. I
>> wonder what they'll discover about this stuff after people have been
>> taking it for a few years.
>>
>> Matt

> Nothing major, just irreversible baldness, your penis shrivels to to
> size of a baby carrot (and that's erect) and you sprout a vagina that
> oozes a yellow/greenish pus for the rest of your days on this planet.
> _____
> Slack

Wow, a vagina? Cool...

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Slack wrote:
> > MattB wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> And the side effects of the natural version are pretty well-known. I
> >> wonder what they'll discover about this stuff after people have been
> >> taking it for a few years.
> >>
> >> Matt

> > Nothing major, just irreversible baldness, your penis shrivels to to
> > size of a baby carrot (and that's erect) and you sprout a vagina that
> > oozes a yellow/greenish pus for the rest of your days on this planet.
> > _____
> > Slack

> Wow, a vagina? Cool...
>
> Matt

hee!

/s

> MattB wrote:
>> JD wrote:
>> > New drug acts as marijuana in the brain
>> > MONTREAL, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- A McGill University study suggests a new
>> > anti-depressant drug works by raising levels of endocannabinoids --
>> > similar to
>> > a substance found in marijuana.

>> Seems pointless when there's already a natural alternative.

> Totally,

Nuff said. Here:

Homepage of truth: the Anti-drugwar by Brian C. Bennett

www.briancbennett.com

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Not that I haven't seen the negative effects of smoking dope, but this
> study sounds to me like a lab taking something natural and free,
> tweaking it with some synthetic substances, and selling it back to the
> population at a premium.

You didn't have to think to figure that otu Scott? PLEASE say *no*...

Shaun aRe

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scott Gordo wrote:
>> JD wrote:
>>
>>>New drug acts as marijuana in the brain

> <snip>
>>

>> Not that I haven't seen the negative effects of smoking dope, but this
>> study sounds to me like a lab taking something natural and free,
>> tweaking it with some synthetic substances, and selling it back to the
>> population at a premium. /s
>>

> And the side effects of the natural version are pretty well-known. I
> wonder what they'll discover about this stuff after people have been
> taking it for a few years.

Uhhhmm, that it's poorer than WAYYYYY overpriced schwag?

Shaun aRe

"Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Nothing major, just irreversible baldness, your penis shrivels to to size
> of a baby carrot (and that's erect) and you sprout a vagina that oozes a
> yellow/greenish pus for the rest of your days on this planet.

That was /genetics/ did that to you Slack.

Shaun aRe

"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Plus you don't have to smoke it.

Uhhhm, WTF?!?!?!?!?

> Shawn

Shawn - meet cannabis - cannabis? - Shawn.

Shaun eataRe

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Plus you don't have to smoke it.

> Uhhhm, WTF?!?!?!?!?

OK Shaun, go take a liter of water. Inhale, yup, yup, the whole thing.
There ya go. That's what a bad asthma attack feel like, at least for
me. Smoke bad, bad.

> Shawn - meet cannabis - cannabis? - Shawn.

Met it long ago. A few pleasant meetings, never really hit it off.

Shawn

"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>> "Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>>>Plus you don't have to smoke it.

>> Uhhhm, WTF?!?!?!?!?

> OK Shaun, go take a liter of water. Inhale, yup, yup, the whole thing.
> There ya go. That's what a bad asthma attack feel like, at least for me.
> Smoke bad, bad.
>

>> Shawn - meet cannabis - cannabis? - Shawn.

> Met it long ago. A few pleasant meetings, never really hit it off.
>
> Shawn

The point I was damncing around is concerned with this statement: "Plus you
don't have to smoke it." - you do not have to smoke pot, you can eat it, no
bother, no problem - it's good, it works. I was rather stoned last night,
heheheheh...

Cheers Shawn.

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe wrote:

> The point I was damncing around is concerned with this statement: "Plus you
> don't have to smoke it." - you do not have to smoke pot, you can eat it, no
> bother, no problem - it's good, it works. I was rather stoned last night,
> heheheheh...

Well yeah, I got that part. Just not interested. Hell, and I just
don't need the extra calories. ;-)

Shawn

Shaun aRe wrote:
> I was rather stoned last night,

You friggin' stoners...

JD

"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>
> > The point I was damncing around is concerned with this statement: "Plus

you
> > don't have to smoke it." - you do not have to smoke pot, you can eat it,

no
> > bother, no problem - it's good, it works. I was rather stoned last

night,
> > heheheheh...

> Well yeah, I got that part.

Then that was enough then.