This Forum is not dying

Crankyfeet said:
Nah... I hold my knife and fork in each hand when I eat... I drink more tea than coffee... I stay up after 10:30pm... I play sports more than I watch it... I don't get up at dawn... I still put "mate" on the end of every second sentence... I can catch a ball without needing a glove to do it... I don't cheat at golf... and I know where some other countries are located.

But apart from that... I'm similar to an American I suppose... :D

hmmm I don't use a knife much, since I don't eat much meat, I drink more tea than coffee (well I don't drink any coffee actually), I stay up after 10:30pm, I play more sports than I watch, I don't get up at dawn unless forced too, I don't add mate to any sentences, I don't know about catching a ball without a glove - I suspect that might hurt my girly hands, I don't play golf and therefore have no need to cheat at it, I know where some other countries are located (but yes Africa and its ever changing borders and country names confounds me).

what's that make me ;)

Eden said:
hmmm I don't use a knife much, since I don't eat much meat, I drink more tea than coffee (well I don't drink any coffee actually), I stay up after 10:30pm, I play more sports than I watch, I don't get up at dawn unless forced too, I don't add mate to any sentences, I don't know about catching a ball without a glove - I suspect that might hurt my girly hands, I don't play golf and therefore have no need to cheat at it, I know where some other countries are located (but yes Africa and its ever changing borders and country names confounds me).

what's that make me ;)
I presume that you eat pizza? Do you use a knife and fork, or do you just eat with your hand? I think that alone can be used for characterizing whether you are an American or not. ;)

BTW, just in case someone doesn't get the catching a ball without a glove point, it comes mostly from playing cricket. If there are other sports which contribute to it, Cranky can add to this post...

Edit: I don't quite get the "ever changing borders" of Africa. :confused:

TheDarkLord said:
I presume that you eat pizza? Do you use a knife and fork, or do you just eat with your hand? I think that alone can be used for characterizing whether you are an American or not. ;)

BTW, just in case someone doesn't get the catching a ball without a glove point, it comes mostly from playing cricket. If there are other sports which contribute to it, Cranky can add to this post...

Hey, I'm American and I eat pizza with a knife and fork often. I don't think it's even possible to eat an authentic Chicago deep dish without a fork and knife. ;)

Unless in Chicago, I'm not a real pizza fan anyway. Nothing else compares. While in Chicago I will fly half-baked pizzas home on the plane, by putting them in the overhead compartment, to save in the freezer for later. :D

C'dale Girl said:
Hey, I'm American and I eat pizza with a knife and fork often. I don't think it's even possible to eat an authentic Chicago deep dish without a fork and knife. ;)

Unless in Chicago, I'm not a real pizza fan anyway. Nothing else compares. While in Chicago I will fly half-baked pizzas home on the plane, by putting them in the overhead compartment, to save in the freezer for later. :D
Ok, let's restrict ourselves to pan and thin crust pizza. Anyway, when I first travelled to Italy, I found that they even have special silverware if you're eating pizza - definitely counting on you not eating with your hands!

TheDarkLord said:

seems to me at least, that we never had current maps of Africa when I was in school (you know those big expensive pull down ones). The country names and sometimes even the country borders had changed in the time between when the maps were purchased and when we were looking at them.... in any case more than a handful of the name changes have happened during my lifetime.
for example
Senegal and Gambia split in 1989
Rhodesia became Zimbabwe in 1980
Namibia was given full independence from South Africa in 1990
Zaire became the Democratic Republic of Congo in 1997
Eritrea split from Ethiopia in 1993
and this certainly isn't everything

Eden said:
seems to me at least, that we never had current maps of Africa when I was in school (you know those big expensive pull down ones). The country names and sometimes even the country borders had changed in the time between when the maps were purchased and when we were looking at them.... in any case more than a handful of the name changes have happened during my lifetime.
for example
We learn all this in year 3 in Australia... :rolleyes: :D

(and you are definitely not American... don't worry... I'll keep it a secret... :D :D )

Crankyfeet said:
We learn all this in year 3 in Australia... :rolleyes: :D

(and you are definitely not American... don't worry... I'll keep it a secret... :D :D )

I don't know what Aussies think, but it seems like Brits expect all Americans to sound and act like a stereotype of a southerner.... my husband and I were told more than once when we were in England that we had "soft" American accents...

Eden said:
for example
The same is valid for Europe though with Soviet Union and Yugoslavia breaking up with the most recent change being Montenegro and Serbia parting ways with each other, not to count the current turmoil wth Kosovo.

TheDarkLord said:
The same is valid for Europe though with Soviet Union and Yugoslavia breaking up with the most recent change being Montenegro and Serbia parting ways with each other, not to count the current turmoil wth Kosovo.

True enough - I don't know that I'd do terribly well pointing to the smaller countries on a map on any continent, even the ones that have been there for a long time. I never did make any claims to be a geography expert... , but I will claim to be more knowledgeable than your typical American. I also tend to know more about countries than specifically where they are on an unmarked map.

Eden said:
rub it in why not.... sigh.... its another rainy day in the lower 50's here....
Like I said, that post was a little late, for me anyway. It was a scorching and friggin' humid 98 on Sunday and not much better yesterday. But nasty storms came through with a cool front last night and this morning and we're back to the perfect 70s with sun. :) (Sorry you can't say likewise. :eek: )

So I had my phone stolen a little while ago. It's a pay as you go, so I figured all my minutes were gone and I just got a new phone today. I decided I'd check to see if I could at least get my old phone number back. Turned out I could get my phone number and the minutes left back... so of course I did. Boy oh boy, I got to listen to all the voice mail of my thief.... not real smart.
I know her name now and that her boyfriend apparently like to steal bigger things (someone was going to turn him in for stealing a van). 3 messages were someone muttering in an Asian language. 3 from someone who wanted Tricia to pick up and spoke about such lovely things as picking not wanting to pick up her kids from the "hoe neighborhood". One from someone who had to get to court. Such lovely folks thieves are.
I intend to play with them if they keep calling me. Maybe if its a guy I'll say- oh sorry Tricia can't answer the phone right now, she's too busy giving a blow job for $5.... (can't tell I'm a little angry about this can you)

nns1400 said:
Oh, yeah...I love the suburbs...:rolleyes: I love reliving high school every day of my life...

I actually had a nice time with all the football parents...but there was one lady...the one with tattoos, like...gang tattoos, and four inch long fingernails with dollar signs on them...niiiiice...:p

Speaking of the "nice" suburbs, last weekend, my son had a baseball tourney in one of the tonier areas in STL...most new neighborhoods going up have houses starting in the 600's going into 1 mil plus..so it's quality people there ;) :rolleyes:

As in unsupervised, cash-loaded, druggies... We were visiting a friend out there between games (this is where I grew up) and he's got horses and a barn, etc, oh and 3 teenage boys...so anyway he's telling us about how he keeps catching kids partying in his barn, only they're like 18 yr old "kids" and bigger than he is, and the biggest guy had a showdown with him and refused to leave. So he went and called the cops, and had to point a gun at this guy to get him to leave. The cops come and they're like, well we didn't see anybody...

Anyway, he's like I'll show you, and we go out to his barn, and open the door and there's 2 kids right there smoking dope! And another one climbing his fence to get in...
A song for the suburbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PDXDShoN7Q

Eden said:
So I had my phone stolen a little while ago. It's a pay as you go, so I figured all my minutes were gone and I just got a new phone today. I decided I'd check to see if I could at least get my old phone number back. Turned out I could get my phone number and the minutes left back... so of course I did. Boy oh boy, I got to listen to all the voice mail of my thief.... not real smart.
I know her name now and that her boyfriend apparently like to steal bigger things (someone was going to turn him in for stealing a van). 3 messages were someone muttering in an Asian language. 3 from someone who wanted Tricia to pick up and spoke about such lovely things as picking not wanting to pick up her kids from the "hoe neighborhood". One from someone who had to get to court. Such lovely folks thieves are.
I intend to play with them if they keep calling me. Maybe if its a guy I'll say- oh sorry Tricia can't answer the phone right now, she's too busy giving a blow job for $5.... (can't tell I'm a little angry about this can you)
Okay... I don't see JTE83 in Houston... who doesn't really have a clue who we are... as a threat... but I see these people that have left messages on your phone...and could call you... as a big threat. Who knows what info they got on you after stealing your phone and checking your messages and calls for you that came in? And they don't sound like the principled, moral types. And they don't live far way.

Just a bit concerned for you.

Oh and Eden... on that American thing... I also don't have the involuntary urge to sing a national anthem at any sporting event with over 200 spectators... :p

And I do think you are an American lady of course... just a tea drinkin' one (they would have shot you during and just after the War of Independence.. :eek: )... :D

Hey Malkmus is a tea drinker too... 230 years must be long enough that it doesn't carry a "colonial" stigma now... :D. Mind you... those once monopolistic Brits don't control the world's tea trade nowadays.