This Forum is not dying

Crankyfeet said:
No it's more like you forget through habit. He probably tips correctly 90% of the time... but the 10% of the time he forgets... everyone finds out about it on the grapevine.

I had to stand beside my mom all the time while she was over here paying for something in a tipping situation... just to make sure she didn't offend anyone. And when she came to America on a holiday 10 years ago... that's all she could talk about on return... was how she had to tip for everything.
wow, so the evil, coarse, selfish Americans are the only ones who tip...interesting...

Crankyfeet said:
No it's more like you forget through habit. He probably tips correctly 90% of the time... but the 10% of the time he forgets... everyone finds out about it on the grapevine.

I had to stand beside my mom all the time while she was over here paying for something in a tipping situation... just to make sure she didn't offend anyone. And when she came to America on a holiday 10 years ago... that's all she could talk about on return... was how she had to tip for everything.
Hey. I always had to follow in my father's footsteps and throw extra cash on the table behind him, after he started walking away. He actually tried to tip $1 on a $20 pizza where it was a dine in higher end pizzeria. :rolleyes: We got in a fight about it and he thought I was nuts. Obviously, he never had to work in the service industry. Friggin' embarassing.

And, he was American. ;)

Crankyfeet said:
I haven't been calling you a moustache BTW... ;)
Whew...that's a relief...:p

Look, I've become used to the somewhat random choice of expressions Aussies use for things, so now I'm paranoid...LOL

C'dale Girl said:
Hey. I always had to follow in my father's footsteps and throw extra cash on the table. He actually tried to tip $1 on a $20 pizza where it was a dine in higher end pizzeria. :rolleyes: We got in a fight about it and he thought I was nuts. Obviously, he never had to work in the service industry.

And, he was American. ;)
I know a guy who in a group situation will put in a big bill and then take back some change, but I've watched him count back the same amount he put in...:rolleyes: Like he'll put in 10 and then take back a five and five ones...

nns1400 said:
wow, so the evil, coarse, selfish Americans are the only ones who tip...interesting...
They need/are obliged to... because often the tipping is factored into them receiving lower base salaries. In Australia where tipping is less common... tips are not factored into the pay to service employees by employers AFAIK.

I fortunately never had to wait tables myself (tho I worked in a pizza place for a while) but I've lots of friends who were waitresses. That is one suck ass, hard job...especially in bars. People will give a waitress who carried over 4 glass pitchers of beer a quarter but they stuff money in the tip jars for the bartender. I never got that.... I guess they think they'll get stronger drinks that way or something...

Crankyfeet said:
They need/are obliged to... because often the tipping is factored into them receiving lower base salaries. In Australia where tipping is less common... tips are not factored into the pay to service employees by employers AFAIK.
But I bet they make more money overall where they get tipped..don't you think? Or not?

Man, in Mexico you gotta tip for EVERYTHING...but you get great service there too.

nns1400 said:
I fortunately never had to wait tables myself (tho I worked in a pizza place for a while) but I've lots of friends who were waitresses. That is one suck ass, hard job...especially in bars. People will give a waitress who carried over 4 glass pitchers of beer a quarter but they stuff money in the tip jars for the bartender. I never got that.... I guess they think they'll get stronger drinks that way or something...
No... men should be paid more than women...

:p :p :p

Crankyfeet said:
No... men should be paid more than women...

:p :p :p
Ummm, they are...:rolleyes:

But when I said bartender, I was including barmaids...(I don't think anyone uses that term anymore.) Bartenders must make more cash than people waiting tables.

Sometimes I watch that reality show about Coyote Ugly....and how they have to be able to dance on the bar and sing and work the crowd, but they also have to do that stuff where they toss the bottles around like in Cocktail (called "flair" which makes me laugh and think of Office Space), AND they have to know how to mix drinks.

Interesting column I read a while back about "The tipping plague", how everyone these days is expecting a tip and that in many/most cases the tip really has no relation to the quality of service provided ...
Tipping should perhaps be seen as a sort of social epidemic, like squeegee kids — who are, after all, only asking to be tipped for the service they perform. It exists because we tolerate it; it spreads because it can. It does not exist in every society, and it need not exist in ours. Is it not time we all said "No"?

nns1400 said:
Ummm, they are...:rolleyes:

But when I said bartender, I was including barmaids...(I don't think anyone uses that term anymore.) Bartenders must make more cash than people waiting tables.

Sometimes I watch that reality show about Coyote Ugly....and how they have to be able to dance on the bar and sing and work the crowd, but they also have to do that stuff where they toss the bottles around like in Cocktail (called "flair" which makes me laugh and think of Office Space), AND they have to know how to mix drinks.
I'm thinking about the psychology... and I actually think customers may respect the bartenders more subconsciously... and perhaps want to impress them (and the other customers perhaps) by standing out amongst the other customers at the bar with a larger tip. The waitresses who roam the bar-room perhaps have less status (they go to you... whereas you go to the bartender's office). I'm just speculating.

confusedfan said:
Interesting column I read a while back about "The tipping plague", how everyone these days is expecting a tip and that in many/most cases the tip really has no relation to the quality of service provided ...
Oh...oh...I'm sorry, I have to take issue with a lot of that. The fee you pay for the haircut goes to the salon and the stylist only gets some of it. And only a bloody fool doesn't tip their stylist...OMG...this person cuts your hair.. you're at their mercy. I tip mine a lot...and she always makes time for me, does extra for me, stays late for me if I can't get there...it's worth it. And she's great.

Anyway...the same with a lot of services they mention...the masseuse doesn't get the fee...the spa gets it. If you find someone good it's worth it to tip them and well. If someone expects a tip as an entitlement they probably suck at what they do anyway.

And ****, if you can afford massages you can afford to tip...

confusedfan said:
I don't like the guys who almost impose a small service on you and then demand a tip. Like in airports and hotels. I've taken luggage out of the trunk of a taxi at an airport departure area and turned round to find a guy holding my luggage going "Which airline sir?"

nns1400 said:
Oh...oh...I'm sorry, I have to take issue with a lot of that. The fee you pay for the haircut goes to the salon and the stylist only gets some of it. And only a bloody fool doesn't tip their stylist...OMG...this person cuts your hair.. you're at their mercy. I tip mine a lot...and she always makes time for me, does extra for me, stays late for me if I can't get there...it's worth it. And she's great.

Anyway...the same with a lot of services they mention...the masseuse doesn't get the fee...the spa gets it. If you find someone good it's worth it to tip them and well. If someone expects a tip as an entitlement they probably suck at what they do anyway.

That's the rub... in most other countries of the world... the service staff are paid a full salary... and if you give a small tip... they are so appreciative. In America... the tip is often a major percentage (sometimes all) of their remuneration.

Crankyfeet said:
I don't like the guys who almost impose a small service on you and then demand a tip. Like in airports and hotels. I've taken luggage out of the trunk of a taxi at an airport departure area and turned round to find a guy holding my luggage going "Which airline sir?"
Agreed...that's ridiculous.

nns1400 said:

I think the point in part that he was making was that if wages/salary were appropriate in the first place there should be no need to tip, not that people don't deserve the money in the end. (and I didn't say I agreed with him, just that it was an interesting point of view) :).

But, I do actually have an issue with tipping for health care services - maybe it's the difference in health care systems, but to tip any sort of health care worker here (ie. registered massage therapist working in a medical/health-related practice rather than in a spa) comes across as if you're trying to get priority treatment and can be considered inappropriate.

Crankyfeet said:
That's the rub... in most other countries of the world... the service staff are paid a full salary... and if you give a small tip... they are so appreciative. In America... the tip is often a major percentage (sometimes all) of their remuneration.
Yeah, but what does "full salary" mean? I'm just wondering, not being argumentative. Who do you think makes more money in the end? Personally I like tipping for service, because it gives the person incentive to give you some. In three trips to Mexico I've only gotten bad service once, in the one place where the gratuity was "included." And the service was not...;)

I actually like the tipping culture... in moderation... because the service generally is better I've found when an employee's pay can fluctuate depending on your current "customer approval rating". In areas where tipping is not prevalent... service can be more lax I've found.

My original point was that unless you grew up in America's (and Canada's) tipping culture... you could easily offend American service staff by not tipping for something (that you wouldn't tip for in your own country) where a tip is expected... or not tip enough.

Post edit - I kinda repeated the points you made above, Tash. I didn't see your post.

Oh, and North Americans need to watch out in restaurants in France, if the bill says "SC" or "service compris" on it then they've already added an amount for a gratuity onto the prices listed and therefore you aren't expected to tip more. (we learned this after our first meal where our server seemed incredibly surprised, then we read about this in a guidebook and noticed on our bill that in effect they got a double tip ... :eek:).