This guy is smart...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mark Hill, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Mark Hill

    Mark Hill Guest

    Tags:

  2. Scribe2b

    Scribe2b Guest

    "Hearts of Lions" it aint

    jc

  3. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:32:04 GMT, "Mark Hill" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2003/07/22/fool227.DTL
    >
    >Go ahead...read it. I wish I could get paid to write such tripe.

    I loved this part:

    "My basic premise is that given a couple years training and a cool bike, I could be a professional
    cyclist. I might not be able to compete in the Tour de France, but I'd get close. Come on, pretty
    much everyone can pedal a bike."

    This would make a great reality TV show on OLN. Have Chris Carmichael set up a training program,
    have Trek donate the bike, have Powerbar donate the carbs ... Then put the guy in a Cat 5 race and
    watch him cry like a baby.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  4. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: Lindsay [email protected]

    >"My basic premise is that given a couple years training and a cool bike, I could be a professional
    >cyclist. I might not be able to compete in the Tour de France, but I'd get close. Come on, pretty
    >much everyone can pedal a bike."
    >
    >This would make a great reality TV show on OLN. Have Chris Carmichael set up a training program,
    >have Trek donate the bike, have Powerbar donate the carbs ... Then put the guy in a Cat 5 race and
    >watch him cry like a baby.
    >
    >Lindsay

    Shit I'd bet that even Kunich and I could spank him, and that's pretty sad. Bill C

  5. Here's his e-mail address, if anyone cares to tell him what an idiot he is: [email protected]
    Or maybe we can invite him on a ride up Mt. Diablo or Mt. Hamilton.... We'll even give him a year to
    train for it, since he can become a professional cyclist in that time.... He's the Chronicle's
    version of a troll.

  6. Ian Fan

    Ian Fan Guest

  7. Jjr071160

    Jjr071160 Guest

    I was in the other room when I think I heard on Headline News (6:40 p.m.
    CDT) that Ullrich flunked the drug test and is out? Can anyone confirm?

  8. Steve Litvin

    Steve Litvin Guest

    > "My basic premise is that given a couple years training and a cool bike, I could be a professional
    > cyclist. I might not be able to compete in the Tour de France, but I'd get close. Come on, pretty
    > much everyone can pedal a bike."

    I'm preaching to the choir so I'm not going to go into why this is so inane but I find it funny that
    the average person (or columnist) doesn't feel with a race car and some practice they could win the
    Indy 500 (I don't think I could).

    steve

  9. Lindsay used 100% recycled electrons to write:

    >I loved this part:
    >
    >"My basic premise is that given a couple years training and a cool bike, I could be a professional
    >cyclist. I might not be able to compete in the Tour de France, but I'd get close. Come on, pretty
    >much everyone can pedal a bike."

    Would this not mean that ANY sport has just been rendered pointless? I mean, I do the same for
    basketball, baseball, football, golf... etc, and I might not make the top spot in the sport, but I
    can play at a solid level.

    Not a solid point. Most of his other points aren't either. Just highlighting... -"If it's French, it
    sucks!" Lame argument

    -"There is no strategy. Oh wait, go faster than the other guy." To the untrained eye there isn't
    anything to baseball than hit the ball and run.

    -"You can do it with a broken collarbone." There are numerous examples of players in the big 4
    playing with broken bones, much worse than a collarbone.

    -"There are no balls (insert lame Armstrong testicle joke here) and no scoreboard." Thus the
    Olympics have been rendered not a sport.

    -"You have to go to REI to buy equipment for this hobby. If you can't find it at Big 5, it's not a
    sport." You can get a bike anywhere. A good bike probably has to come from a specialized shop. The
    same is said for golf.

    -"It's on the OLN in the middle of the night." At least it is shown live. NBC kills their coverage
    showing tennis tape delayed.

    -"Millions of Europeans and a handful of Americans are wrong." Ah yes, the popular if we don't get
    it, it sucks.

    So lets see, we have just stated that sports don't exist.....

    Anyway, it was just another in a long line of shock articles. They are old, and more important, the
    say the same thing. Someone needs to come up with something original.

    RonB

    "It is human nature to take shortcuts in thinking"

  10. Bob Bullet

    Bob Bullet Guest

    CONFIRMED.

    KEEP RACIN', BOB BULLET

  11. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:34:55 -0400, BOB BULLET wrote:

    > CONFIRMED.
    >
    > KEEP RACIN', BOB BULLET
    >
    > "jjr071160" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I was in the other room when I think I heard on Headline News (6:40 p.m.
    >> CDT) that Ullrich flunked the drug test and is out? Can anyone confirm?

    Latest I heard (Source: Ultim'ora - La Gazzetta dello Sport) was that they tested 22 riders today
    and that they all were negative for prohibited substances.

    But you never know...................
    --
    Davey Crockett Speed up your computer: del c:/windows/*.* The instructions said "Load WinDoze 95 or
    Better", so I loaded LINUX http://members.rogers.com/worlds2003/linux.jpg

  12. Daniel Lieb

    Daniel Lieb Guest

  13. Velocat

    Velocat Guest

    Reporting on sporting events is not real writing. My basic premise is that anyone, including myself,
    could write a sports column without any prior experience. There is ample evidence of this in just
    about every newspaper. Knowledge of the event being covered is clearly not a prerequisite. Most
    sports reporters are wannabes who dream of playing some the "game" but consider the walk to the bar
    to be their exercise quota for the day.

    The fact that the Tour gets so little coverage in most newspapers just demonstrates my point.
    Writing about the Tour requires some knowledge about the teams, stragegy, stages, etc. That would
    require some real homework by most reporters and is therefore too much work. It's much easier to
    write some stupid piece like "Cycling isn't a real sport" than it is to really report on the event.
    Real reporters cover events they have no knowledge of everyday. It takes hard work and dedication to
    do it well. Sports reporters don't like to be bothered by such details.

    I recognize that there are several excellent sports reporters who cover cycling events very well. I
    personally am a big fan of rbr's own Jeff Jones. My comments are directed to the vast majority of
    sports reporters who somehow make a living writing crap like the story that started this thread.

    Just my $.02 Dave

  14. Lindsay wrote in message ...
    >On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:32:04 GMT, "Mark Hill" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2003/07/22/fo
    ol227.DTL

    >>Go ahead...read it. I wish I could get paid to write such tripe.
    >
    >I loved this part:
    >
    >"My basic premise is that given a couple years training and a cool bike, I could be a professional
    >cyclist. I might not be able to compete in the Tour de France, but I'd get close. Come on, pretty
    >much everyone can pedal a bike."

    I can throw a baseball 60 feet, 6 inches.

    When do I get to start at Yankee Stadium?

  15. jjr071160 wrote:
    > I was in the other room when I think I heard on Headline News (6:40 p.m.
    > CDT) that Ullrich flunked the drug test and is out? Can anyone confirm?

    I think you didn't hear it right. The news services are reporting that the top riders were all
    tested today and they all passed.

    http://sport.iafrica.com/news/256215.htm http://espn.go.com/oly/tdf2003/s/2003/0722/1584101.html
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_23-7-2003_pg2_8

    --Bill Davidson
    --
    Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

    I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

  16. Bob Bullet

    Bob Bullet Guest

    SORRY. ULLRICH FAILED.

    WEED AND EPO AND XTC.

    BOB BULLET

    "Bill Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > jjr071160 wrote:
    > > I was in the other room when I think I heard on Headline News (6:40 p.m.
    > > CDT) that Ullrich flunked the drug test and is out? Can anyone confirm?
    >
    > I think you didn't hear it right. The news services are reporting that the top riders were all
    > tested today and they all passed.
    >
    > http://sport.iafrica.com/news/256215.htm http://espn.go.com/oly/tdf2003/s/2003/0722/1584101.html
    > http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_23-7-2003_pg2_8
    >
    > --Bill Davidson
    > --
    > Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.
    >
    > I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

  17. Bob Bullet

    Bob Bullet Guest

    WRONG. ULLRICH FAILED. XTC AND WEED AND EPO.

    BOB BULLET

    "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:34:55 -0400, BOB BULLET wrote:
    >
    > > CONFIRMED.
    > >
    > > KEEP RACIN', BOB BULLET
    > >
    > > "jjr071160" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> I was in the other room when I think I heard on Headline News (6:40
    p.m.
    > >> CDT) that Ullrich flunked the drug test and is out? Can anyone
    confirm?

    > Latest I heard (Source: Ultim'ora - La Gazzetta dello Sport) was that they tested 22 riders today
    > and that they all were negative for prohibited substances.
    >
    > But you never know...................
    > --
    > Davey Crockett Speed up your computer: del c:/windows/*.* The instructions said "Load WinDoze 95
    > or Better", so I loaded LINUX http://members.rogers.com/worlds2003/linux.jpg
    > 21:59:02 up 16 days, 15:17, 7 users, load average: 0.94, 0.73, 0.42

  18. Guess Who

    Guess Who Guest

    "VeloCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Reporting on sporting events is not real writing. My basic premise is that anyone, including
    > myself, could write a sports column without any prior experience. There is ample evidence of this
    > in just about every newspaper. Knowledge of the event being covered is clearly not a prerequisite.
    > Most sports reporters are wannabes who dream of playing some the "game" but consider the walk to
    > the bar to be their exercise quota for the day.
    >
    > The fact that the Tour gets so little coverage in most newspapers just demonstrates my point.
    > Writing about the Tour requires some knowledge about the teams, stragegy, stages, etc. That would
    > require some real homework by most reporters and is therefore too much work. It's much easier to
    > write some stupid piece like "Cycling isn't a real sport" than it is to really report on the
    > event. Real reporters cover events they have no knowledge of everyday. It takes hard work and
    > dedication to do it well. Sports reporters don't like to be bothered by such details.
    >
    > I recognize that there are several excellent sports reporters who cover cycling events very
    > well. I personally am a big fan of rbr's own Jeff Jones. My comments are directed to the vast
    > majority of sports reporters who somehow make a living writing crap like the story that started
    > this thread.
    >
    > Just my $.02 Dave

    It was written tongue in cheek, I think.