this guy thinks HGH is performance enhancing...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by gym gravity, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    Tags:

  2. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    gym gravity wrote:
    > get a load of this:
    >
    > Three important doping substances to consider are erythropoietin (EPO),
    > growth hormone (GH), and the anabolic steroid testosterone.
    >
    > http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7039.0.html

    (he also thinks EPO is produced in bacteria)

  3. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    gym gravity wrote:

    > gym gravity wrote:
    >
    >> get a load of this:
    >>
    >> Three important doping substances to consider are erythropoietin
    >> (EPO), growth hormone (GH), and the anabolic steroid testosterone.
    >>
    >> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7039.0.html

    > (he also thinks EPO is produced in bacteria)

    also found this while fishing around on the Amgen website. I saw
    something on 60 minutes a few years ago about it too:

    http://tinyurl.com/5z5xx
    http://tinyurl.com/4rtn9

    but here's an official Amgen press release with photos of the
    counterfeit boxes that were displayed on the 60 minutes boxes:

    http://www.amgen.com/news/news02/release020506.html

    Gym (raising awareness, that all you cheatin' US domestic pros are
    ripping off 12 year olds with kidney disease) Gravity.

  4. gym gravity wrote:
    > gym gravity wrote:
    >
    >> get a load of this:
    >>
    >> Three important doping substances to consider are erythropoietin
    >> (EPO), growth hormone (GH), and the anabolic steroid testosterone.
    >>
    >> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7039.0.html

    > (he also thinks EPO is produced in bacteria)

    He doesn't specifically mention that growth hormone is
    performance-enhancing.
    He does mention Chinese hamster ovaries as a source of EPO, which is
    more amusing than the two examples you quote...

  5. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Stewart Fleming wrote:
    > He does mention Chinese hamster ovaries as a source of EPO, which is
    > more amusing than the two examples you quote...

    Hmm, this makes me feel just a little suspicous of Laffery's recently
    deceased pet hamster. Do I discern echoes of the late lamented Tugboat
    here ?

  6. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    Stewart Fleming wrote:

    > gym gravity wrote:
    >
    >> gym gravity wrote:
    >>
    >>> get a load of this:
    >>>
    >>> Three important doping substances to consider are erythropoietin
    >>> (EPO), growth hormone (GH), and the anabolic steroid testosterone.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7039.0.html

    >> (he also thinks EPO is produced in bacteria)

    > He doesn't specifically mention that growth hormone is
    > performance-enhancing.
    > He does mention Chinese hamster ovaries as a source of EPO, which is
    > more amusing than the two examples you quote...

    Wow, I *swear* on the life of my tropical fish and the grave of the pet
    garter snake I had as an 8 year old...Velonews edited that article. It
    first said bacteria.

    Really, CHO cells are more interesting than people stealing EPO,
    skimming off the full strength drug, diluting the rest and reselling it
    on the open market so sickly folks with liver and kidney disease can suffer?

  7. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    Stewart Fleming wrote:

    > gym gravity wrote:
    >
    >> gym gravity wrote:
    >>
    >>> get a load of this:
    >>>
    >>> Three important doping substances to consider are erythropoietin
    >>> (EPO), growth hormone (GH), and the anabolic steroid testosterone.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7039.0.html

    >> (he also thinks EPO is produced in bacteria)

    > He doesn't specifically mention that growth hormone is
    > performance-enhancing.
    > He does mention Chinese hamster ovaries as a source of EPO, which is
    > more amusing than the two examples you quote...

    And Procrit too...

    http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00877.html

    Coincidence?

  8. Mike Connair

    Mike Connair Guest

    Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > gym gravity wrote:
    > > gym gravity wrote:
    > >
    > >> get a load of this:
    > >>
    > >> Three important doping substances to consider are erythropoietin
    > >> (EPO), growth hormone (GH), and the anabolic steroid testosterone.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7039.0.html

    > > (he also thinks EPO is produced in bacteria)

    > He doesn't specifically mention that growth hormone is
    > performance-enhancing.
    > He does mention Chinese hamster ovaries as a source of EPO, which is
    > more amusing than the two examples you quote...

    Engineered Chinese Hamster Ovary CELLS are used in biotechnology to
    produce protein products. That way they are more likely properly
    glycosylated and folded than if produced in bacteria engineered for
    protein production. There is also less prblem with endotoxins during
    purification and production. In other words they don't use hamsters
    they use a hamster cell line.

  9. On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 07:50:23 +1200, Stewart Fleming wrote:
    > This will really bake your noodle:
    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6122116/

    That's just great. Now I can never sign my posts "ED" again.

    E.