This (Halfords Apollo TdF) seems like good value but...

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=19251&type=0&cat=92

> Decathlon do something similar but the only have one shop and its in
> London. I liked the Giant OCR 3 but no mudguard clearance.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks.

Decathlon have stores in Sheffield, Stockport and some other places in
the UK that are not in London. Sorry no opinion on the bikes, its been
a long long time since I did any research on new machines.

Michael Green wrote:
> The Halfords Apollo TdF seems like good value and it has mudguard
> clearances, but its only a 'double' and a seven at that:

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=19251&type=0&cat=92

> Decathlon do something similar but the only have one shop and its in
> London. I liked the Giant OCR 3 but no mudguard clearance.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks.

I saw the Decathlon (7.1??) one recently, looked better than the
Apollo. The Carrera Vanquish in halfords for 499 is very good value,
has a 105 groupset.

Michael Green composed the following;:
> The Halfords Apollo TdF seems like good value and it has mudguard
> clearances, but its only a 'double' and a seven at that:
> http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=19251&type=0&cat=92
>
> Decathlon do something similar but the only have one shop and its in
> London.

Nope, there are a few shops outside London, such as Nottingham, Stockport
and Sheffield that I know of. Indeed I used to live within walking distance
of the Nottingham shop, and have recently visited the Sheffield shop ..

> I liked the Giant OCR 3 but no mudguard clearance.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks.

Decathlon bikes, based mainly on their mountain and childrens bike ranges,
are extremely good quality and value, IMHO. ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

in message <[email protected]>, Michael
Green ('[email protected]') wrote:

> The Halfords Apollo TdF seems like good value and it has mudguard
> clearances, but its only a 'double' and a seven at that:
> http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=19251&type=0&cat=92

Ah, happy days. I've ridden literally tens of thousands of miles on
Apollo bikes with, I'm fairly sure, the model name 'TdF'. They weren't
great, but they were cheap and they worked - and I'm fairly sure I've
still done more miles on the second one I had than all other bikes put
together.

> Decathlon do something similar but the only have one shop and its in
> London. I liked the Giant OCR 3 but no mudguard clearance.

Get the one which feels better when you ride it. If they both feel the
same, get the lighter one. If you get the Giant get a pair of SKS race
blades (mudguards which don't need clearance - I use them on my winter
bike).

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Michael Green wrote:
> > The Halfords Apollo TdF seems like good value and it has mudguard
> > clearances, but its only a 'double' and a seven at that:
> >

> http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=19251&type=0&cat=92
> >
> > Decathlon do something similar but the only have one shop and its in
> > London. I liked the Giant OCR 3 but no mudguard clearance.
> >
> > Suggestions? Thanks.

> Decathlon have stores in Sheffield, Stockport and some other places in
> the UK that are not in London. Sorry no opinion on the bikes, its been
> a long long time since I did any research on new machines.

Oops, my mistake, the Decathlon web site suggests only a store in
London. Birmingham, Sheffield, Stockport and Nottingham apparently.

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nope, there are a few shops outside London, such as Nottingham,

Everything you need for a day out: Decathlon, Ikea, American Adventure and
a book "wholesaler" open to the public, all within a stones throw.

Pete

Peter B composed the following;:
> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Nope, there are a few shops outside London, such as Nottingham,

> Everything you need for a day out: Decathlon, Ikea, American Adventure
> and a book "wholesaler" open to the public, all within a stones throw.

I am _so_ glad we moved .. weekends were terrible for leaving the village,
and even worse trying to get back .. ;)

Unless you were on a cycle, of course. Then it was fun .. ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

snip
> same, get the lighter one. If you get the Giant get a pair of SKS race
> blades (mudguards which don't need clearance - I use them on my winter
> bike).

That seems like a good idea, how does the 'Race Blade' stop crud
getting into your brakes? Perhaps that doesn't matter, deraileurs seem
to be most vulnerable to crud.

Ta.

Michael Green wrote:
> snip
> > same, get the lighter one. If you get the Giant get a pair of SKS

race
> > blades (mudguards which don't need clearance - I use them on my

winter
> > bike).

> That seems like a good idea, how does the 'Race Blade' stop crud
> getting into your brakes? Perhaps that doesn't matter, deraileurs

seem
> to be most vulnerable to crud.

I think it tucks under the rear caliper to keep the spray away. When I
wanted to put guards on a bike before race-blades were sold I just cut
them in half and joined the two halves either side of the forks with a
strip of metal which attached to the brake mounting, wasn't perfect but
seemed as good as blades.

Michael Green wrote:
> snip
> > same, get the lighter one. If you get the Giant get a pair of SKS

race
> > blades (mudguards which don't need clearance - I use them on my

winter
> > bike).

> That seems like a good idea, how does the 'Race Blade' stop crud
> getting into your brakes? Perhaps that doesn't matter, deraileurs

seem
> to be most vulnerable to crud.
>
> Ta.

There are rubber crud-guards that you can buy that wrap around Shimano
derailleurs (front and rear)to stop, well, crud getting into them.
Originated in mountain-biking, happily transferable to commuting,
winter training, etc.

Lin

MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
:> That seems like a good idea, how does the 'Race Blade' stop crud
:> getting into your brakes?

: I think it tucks under the rear caliper to keep the spray away.

Race blades don't protect the brakes at all. They also don't really
protect the mechs since neither front or rear is long enough for
that.

They are however excellent for keeping your bum dry on a race bike
(and I have a pair for this purpose).

Beware running them on carbon fibre rear stays though. If they move
around they can cut through the CF over time (which happened to a
friend of mine)

Arthur

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes