This is brilliant!

Simon Mason

Guest
Just copied this breaking news from our local paper:

Police in Haltemprice are asking people to become their new weapon to tackle dangerous driving.
Officers want anyone who spots drivers persistently speeding, using mobile phones or not wearing a
seat belt to give their registration numbers to police.

The vehicle's owner will then receive a letter warning them they have been spotted breaking the law.

Officers hope it will be enough to encourage people to slow down the next time they are out on
the roads.

Inspector Keith Noons, commander for the Haltemprice local policing team (LPT), said: "We will not
tolerate speeding drivers.

"We want residents of Haltemprice to know police officers are keen to work with the community in a
bid to try to make the area a safer place and reduce the number of road accidents.

"We also want to ensure motorists are aware regular enforcement is taking place on the roads by
members in and around Haltemprice."

The initiative, the first time members of the public have been encouraged to shop speeding drivers,
is part of the LPT's drive safe policy.

Officers are concerned about hot spots of dangerous driving in Willerby, Kirk Ella and Anlaby.

Already, West Ella Road, Kirk Ella, has been identified as a speeding trouble spot by residents.

Although the information from residents cannot be used as evidence towards convictions, it could be
used to guide the LPT's use of resources.

The idea of sending warning letters to motorists has already been tried when people have been
spotted breaking the law by police officers.

Officers believe it is an effective deterrent and are confident members of the public will help
improve safety on roads in the area.

When particular hot spots are identified, enforcement campaigns could be introduced to tackle
the problems.

Anyone who wants to tell police about a driver speeding, using a mobile phone or not wearing a seat
belt should ring the LPT on (01482) 307213.

An answering machine operates when no one is available.

> Police in Haltemprice are asking people to become their new weapon to
tackle
> dangerous driving. Officers want anyone who spots drivers persistently speeding, using mobile
> phones or not wearing a seat belt to give their registration numbers to police.

I've really wanted to do this around where I am. Carry a pencil and jot down details of the ones
that are obviously a danger to others. Sort of an early-warning system as to who's going to cause
the accidents/run over the kids. Mostly cagers are OK,and you can easily pick who's not safe.

Not sure if they'd pay any attention in West London. Might supply my results to the local
constabulary along with details of this scheme.

"Johnny Klunk" <johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Police in Haltemprice are asking people to become their new weapon to
> tackle
> > dangerous driving. Officers want anyone who spots drivers persistently speeding, using mobile
> > phones or not wearing a seat belt to give their registration numbers to police.
>
> I've really wanted to do this around where I am. Carry a pencil and jot down details of the ones
> that are obviously a danger to others. Sort of
an
> early-warning system as to who's going to cause the accidents/run over the kids. Mostly cagers are
> OK,and you can easily pick who's not safe.
>
> Not sure if they'd pay any attention in West London. Might supply my results to the local
> constabulary along with details of this scheme.

Try a citizens arrest from a bicycle .. lol ;)

It's already easy enough to get someone pulled in a car "He's got a gun" ...

We should be educating people in this form of transport ....

Nick

p.s. I have to be up at 5am ... it's 1am .. and then i'm away for a few days ... pardon my tardiness
in response ...

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote ...
> Just copied this breaking news from our local paper:
>
> Police in Haltemprice are asking people to become their new weapon to
tackle
> dangerous driving. Officers want anyone who spots drivers persistently speeding, using mobile
> phones or not wearing a seat belt to give their registration numbers to police.
>
> The vehicle's owner will then receive a letter warning them they have been spotted breaking
> the law.

<snip>

Ideally they would follow this up by checking the registraion when they do stop someone for some
reason, and say something along the lines of "I see you've had N warning letters about your diving,
so this time I'm nicking you"

Andrew

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:39:39 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just copied this breaking news from our local paper:
>
>Police in Haltemprice are asking people to become their new weapon to tackle dangerous driving.
>Officers want anyone who spots drivers persistently speeding, using mobile phones or not wearing a
>seat belt to give their registration numbers to police.

Does Haltemprice still exist? I thought it was now a part of the "Borough of Beverley" - but then I
did move away from the area in 1973!!!

>The vehicle's owner will then receive a letter warning them they have been spotted
>breaking the law.
>
>Officers hope it will be enough to encourage people to slow down the next time they are out on
>the roads.
>
>Inspector Keith Noons, commander for the Haltemprice local policing team (LPT), said: "We will not
>tolerate speeding drivers.
>
>"We want residents of Haltemprice to know police officers are keen to work with the community in a
>bid to try to make the area a safer place and reduce the number of road accidents.
>
>"We also want to ensure motorists are aware regular enforcement is taking place on the roads by
>members in and around Haltemprice."
>
>The initiative, the first time members of the public have been encouraged to shop speeding drivers,
>is part of the LPT's drive safe policy.
>
>Officers are concerned about hot spots of dangerous driving in Willerby, Kirk Ella and Anlaby.
>
>Already, West Ella Road, Kirk Ella, has been identified as a speeding trouble spot by residents.

Is Wolfreton Road\Aston Road still used as a "rat run"?

--

Keith (born and brought up in Wolfreton Road, Anlaby, now living in Lancashire)

Andrew Sweetman <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Police in Haltemprice are asking people to become their new weapon to
> tackle
> > dangerous driving. Officers want anyone who spots drivers persistently speeding, using mobile
> > phones or not wearing a seat belt to give their registration numbers to police.
> >
> > The vehicle's owner will then receive a letter warning them they have been spotted breaking
> > the law.
> >
> <snip>
> >

> Ideally they would follow this up by checking the registraion when they do stop someone for some
> reason, and say something along the lines of "I see you've had N warning letters about your
> diving, so this time I'm nicking you"

The police will get fed up after a while, it sounds to me like a bunnyboilers wet dream!

"Keith Midgley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> Does Haltemprice still exist? I thought it was now a part of the "Borough of Beverley" - but then
> I did move away from the area in 1973!!!

It disappeared when Humberside was created, only to reappear as Alan B'Stard's mythical
constituency in "The New Statesman" and when Humberside was abolished, it came back again.

> >Officers are concerned about hot spots of dangerous driving in Willerby, Kirk Ella and Anlaby.
> >
> >Already, West Ella Road, Kirk Ella, has been identified as a speeding trouble spot by residents.
>
> Is Wolfreton Road\Aston Road still used as a "rat run"?

No, they are now 20 mph zones and the humps are vicious, so everyone avoids these areas. Hull
itself is now 25% 20 mph zones.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

<snip>
> Try a citizens arrest from a bicycle .. lol ;)
>
> It's already easy enough to get someone pulled in a car "He's got a gun" ...

Don't count on it! Last year I was driving when a passenger in the car in front stuck a shotgun out
of the window (not at anyone/anything as far as I could see). Moments later I pulled over and called
the police, they turned up nearly an hour later to take the license details (even though I'd given
them over the phone).

I've also been held up at gun point many years ago, I got a speedy response from the militray police
(I ran away into a local army base), normal plod took about an hour again. I also managed to get the
transport police involved (they'd caught a guy with a gun on a train soon after I'd reported the
incident). Not bad, getting all three forms of UK police involved :-/ (or are they any others?)

Have fun! (and look out for nutters with weapons of any kind!)

Graeme

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:36:49 -0000, Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've also been held up at gun point many years ago, I got a speedy response from the militray
>police (I ran away into a local army base), normal plod took about an hour again. I also managed
>to get the transport police involved (they'd caught a guy with a gun on a train soon after I'd
>reported the incident). Not bad, getting all three forms of UK police involved :-/ (or are they
>any others?)

Don't BNFL (or whatever they're called this week - the nuclear power station people) have their own?

Tim

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:36:49 -0000, Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >I've also been held up at gun point many years ago, I got a speedy
response
> >from the militray police (I ran away into a local army base), normal
plod
> >took about an hour again. I also managed to get the transport police involved (they'd caught a
> >guy with a gun on a train soon after I'd reported the incident). Not bad, getting all three forms
> >of UK police involved :-/ (or are they any others?)
> >

> Don't BNFL (or whatever they're called this week - the nuclear power station people) have
> their own?

They do. My Trade Union (Now Prospect, formed from a merger of IPMSD and EMA) ran a story about them
a few months (years?) ago in their member's journal .

--
MatSav

Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:36:49 -0000, Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:
>><snip> Not bad, getting all three forms of UK police involved :-/ (or are they any others?)
>>

> Don't BNFL (or whatever they're called this week - the nuclear power station people) have
> their own?

Damn! In the unlikely event of it ever happening again I must remember to say "Honestly officer, he
was holding a glowing fuel rod in his other hand."

ho hum...

Graeme

Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:

> I also managed to get the transport police involved (they'd caught a guy with a gun on a train
> soon after I'd reported the incident). Not bad, getting all three forms of UK police involved :-/
> (or are they any others?)

The MP's are military personel, but three are also the MOD police, not suprising called MODPLODs, so
you didn't get a full set.

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/