This is IT - the FIX for PUNCTURES !! ;-)

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
I read about a guy who had a great idea to stop getting punctures.
I told a friend about it who on his 38 km daily commute was getting on average 3 punctures a week.
He did the fix and in about 3 months has had one puncture - a builder's staple went through the tyre!!

This is the FIX.
Say you've got 700 x 23mm tyres(and hey, who hasn't !). Get an old 700 x 23(i.e. the same size), cut the beading off and fit it inside the good original tyre on the rim then fit the tube, etc as usual.
You're going to end up with a heavier tyre/wheel combo sure but its a bullet proof solution for training and commuting.
My friend only did the back wheel as he (like the rest of us) mostly seems to get flatties there and is very impressed.
He still takes the glass out of the tyres every weekend - there is a similar amount to pre the FIX.

Happy puncture free riding:)

Good idea, but now we are going to have to hear about all of the brands of bulletproof tires that are out there again:rolleyes: .

kdelong said:
Good idea, but now we are going to have to hear about all of the brands of bulletproof tires that are out there again:rolleyes: .
Don't be sad. Why not list them and save everyones pain?

I'll start you off with my favourite: Dutch Perfect. :D

Come on Fruitcakes - this ISN'T ABOUT TYRES its a way of avoiding punctures.

Read my first post and think - hey I could try that...or not.

Bananabikeboy:)

Bigbananabike said:
Come on Fruitcakes
Bananabikeboy:)
That reminds me, Christmas is not that far off! Must start thinking about making Banana Nut Bread(ouch):D !

I don't know what they're called, but years ago I bought a hard rubber strip for my hybrid that goes between the inner and outer tube to eliminate flats.

I don't ride my hybrid very much anymore, but since I installed this thing, I have never had a flat on that bike.

Yojimbo_ said:
I don't know what they're called, but years ago I bought a hard rubber strip for my hybrid that goes between the inner and outer tube to eliminate flats.

I don't ride my hybrid very much anymore, but since I installed this thing, I have never had a flat on that bike.
mr. tuffy liners?

3 punctures a week? !!. Unless he's riding over broken glass everyday, he's doing something wrong....or has got very crappy tyres.

I think I can manage 2000K between punctures and the roads here are far from perfect.

Maybe he's having pinch flats?. Maybe the nail is still on the tyre and he's not checking everytime he changes a tube?

PS: I know the purpose of the thread is to present the flat-proof protection, but still....3 punctures /week is not normal.

I had great luck with only 2 flats this year in 4000 miles so far. Last week I just wanted to take a short breakfast ride so I rode my old Colnago with sewups. Guess what? I ran through glass and flatted both tires! Why does it always have to be the expensive tires instead of a $5 tube?:confused:

ovalbackmarker said:
I had great luck with only 2 flats this year in 4000 miles so far. Last week I just wanted to take a short breakfast ride so I rode my old Colnago with sewups. Guess what? I ran through glass and flatted both tires! Why does it always have to be the expensive tires instead of a $5 tube?:confused:
Because expensive tires are generally overpriced rubbish?

bobbyOCR said:
You don't race do you.
Actually, yes I do. :) Generally long distance stuff like 100km & 24h MTB. As for road did the PBP in August, so obviously did a fair few long road rides to get to qualify for entry and as practice.

Hence, I'm really hard on kit, and overpriced rubbish gets spotted very quickly.:D

threaded said:
Actually, yes I do. :) Generally long distance stuff like 100km & 24h MTB. As for road did the PBP in August, so obviously did a fair few long road rides to get to qualify for entry and as practice.

Hence, I'm really hard on kit, and overpriced rubbish gets spotted very quickly.:D
PBP...well done. Fair enough, but for road races under 100km, Vittoria Corsa make life really nice, apart from all of the pain screaming from your legs.

24h solo? That's my dream at some point. But for now, I'm hoping I can get down to the Northcliffe night 6 hour (best technical trail I've ridden)

XmisterIS said:
Hmmmm ..... I have the perfect fix for punctures! - Fill your tyres with cement :D:D:D

:p
I can't remember where I saw it but I read an article about a year ago about a new tire that was coming out that would be filled with a light weight foam instead of an inner tube and air. Sounded like a good thing but I haven't heard any more about it. Does any one else recall this?

kdelong said:
I can't remember where I saw it but I read an article about a year ago about a new tire that was coming out that would be filled with a light weight foam instead of an inner tube and air. Sounded like a good thing but I haven't heard any more about it. Does any one else recall this?
Yes, this idea has been tried over and over. If you can get a wheel designed to use this kind of tire as it puts way more stress on the wheel, then it might be a good idea. Otherwise no.

Look at it this way: the tube in a tire is a big bubble, and the sidewalls flex as the wheel goes around, this is the major component of rolling resistance. If you fill the tire with lots of little bubbles, then the overall area of sidewall increases, thereby increasing rolling resistance.