This is probley a dumb question

Sparky511

Feb 16, 2004
And rather embarassing. But..... I have a century ride this weekend, and I have a gut feeling that I will end up getting my monthly either that day or before. (UGH!!!!) I know usually when I am "having my monthly" I get headaches and bad cramps. Do you think that will effect my performance on the bike? Should I avoid taking anything for pain, say if I have it on the day of my ride?

Originally posted by Sparky511
And rather embarassing. But..... I have a century ride this weekend, and I have a gut feeling that I will end up getting my monthly either that day or before. (UGH!!!!) I know usually when I am "having my monthly" I get headaches and bad cramps. Do you think that will effect my performance on the bike? Should I avoid taking anything for pain, say if I have it on the day of my ride?

No. I was on mine the last century, and I'm gonna be on mine this upcoming one too (drat it all). First time around, just took two motrin to start, and two at lunch time. No sweat. For some reason, things just don't flow all that much.. might have to do with the adrenaline, or I could have been somewhat dehydrated.

If you want to stop having cramps, try this: stop eating beef. If you're not a beef eater, then I dunno... It takes about 3 months off beef for the cramps to stop hurting so bad, and I'm not sure if the source of the beef means anything (like, I used to eat free range beef once or twice a month and it was fine, but plain ol' store-bought stuff--forget it). But don't take my word for it: try it, and after all, you can go right back to eating beef if it doesn't do anything for you.

Originally posted by Sparky511

No dumb question -

I think maybe your performance may be a bit sluggish if that is how you get - I know I do - not up to my normal speed. I am pretty lucky that I don't get mood swings or headaches; but, darn it I get incredible "munchie" problems which may be good if you are sweating it out for 100 miles. I don't get cramps - if you work out when cramping does it usually go off? I just feel like a huge great blimp - ready for take-off. Maybe a lot of sports drinks for hydration and plenty of food to keep your strength up!

Good luck in your Century ride!!!!!!!!!!!