This is the Bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [Not Responding], Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, MSeries
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > [Not Responding] wrote:
    >> I reckon I've found it. As discussed earlier I've decided I need my
    >> first road bike but don't want anything too race-like. So here, is
    >> what I'm looking at now:
    >>
    >> http://www.tifosi-cycles.co.uk/frames/ck7.html
    >>
    >> Not knowing anything about Shimano vs Campag etc, what wheels and
    >> finishing kit should I be thinking of?

    > I'd recommend Shimano groupset with downtube shifters. Less weight
    > than STi/Ergo. No handlebar/cable mess AT ALL.

    In other words, just like a Campag groupset with Ergo shifters, except
    you have to grope around on the downtube to change gear.

    ... a mild, inoffensive sadist...

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I'd recommend Shimano groupset with downtube shifters. Less weight than
    : STi/Ergo. No handlebar/cable mess AT ALL. can be switched to friction
    : mode if needed to give un limited trimming, much cheaper and more reliable.

    Argh. No!

    Arthur

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  3. Simonb wrote:
    > [Not Responding] wrote:
    >
    >>I reckon I've found it. As discussed earlier I've decided I need my
    >>first road bike but don't want anything too race-like. So here, is
    >>what I'm looking at now:
    >>
    >>http://www.tifosi-cycles.co.uk/frames/ck7.html
    >>
    >>Not knowing anything about Shimano vs Campag etc, what wheels and
    >>finishing kit should I be thinking of?

    > The only thing I don't like about Tifosi is the name -- a bit silly
    > methinks. It's a nice bike all the same; I've seen one in GA Cycles in
    > Southampton. It's a nice shade of blue.

    Assuming prices are comparable, where's best; GA or Scivyer Cycles?
    Looking at the map, GA is easier to get to; a short walk from Soton
    station whereas Sciyer is a convoluted bus trip or a ride up the Big Hill.

  4. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, MSeries
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    >> [Not Responding] wrote:
    >>
    >>>I reckon I've found it. As discussed earlier I've decided I need my
    >>>first road bike but don't want anything too race-like. So here, is
    >>>what I'm looking at now:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.tifosi-cycles.co.uk/frames/ck7.html
    >>>
    >>>Not knowing anything about Shimano vs Campag etc, what wheels and
    >>>finishing kit should I be thinking of?

    >>I'd recommend Shimano groupset with downtube shifters. Less weight
    >>than STi/Ergo. No handlebar/cable mess AT ALL.

    > In other words, just like a Campag groupset with Ergo shifters, except
    > you have to grope around on the downtube to change gear.

    Err no, there is no cable on the handlebar, shorter cable and less
    weight. Downtube shifters are nothing like Ergo shifters. No I am not
    recommending a Campag groupset.

  5. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : I'd recommend Shimano groupset with downtube shifters. Less weight than
    > : STi/Ergo. No handlebar/cable mess AT ALL. can be switched to friction
    > : mode if needed to give un limited trimming, much cheaper and more reliable.
    >
    > Argh. No!
    >
    > Arthur

    Why not, you just know it makes sense. STi/Ergo is a solution looking
    for a problem for most cyclists. It really is no big deal taking a hand
    from the handlebar to change gear, one does it all the time to signal,
    drink, blow nose, eat, pick nose, remove ear wax - don't we ?

  6. MSeries wrote:
    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> in message <[email protected]>, MSeries
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >>> I'd recommend Shimano groupset with downtube shifters. Less weight
    >>> than STi/Ergo. No handlebar/cable mess AT ALL.

    >> In other words, just like a Campag groupset with Ergo shifters, except
    >> you have to grope around on the downtube to change gear.
    >>

    > Err no, there is no cable on the handlebar, shorter cable and less
    > weight. Downtube shifters are nothing like Ergo shifters. No I am not
    > recommending a Campag groupset.

    I think I'll settle for Campag for the following reasons:

    1. However much the retro look and feel of downtubes may appeal, I'm
    trying to limit the amount of time without both hands on the bars.

    2. Greater (if not infinite) trimmability; I'm going for a triple
    however inelegant some may say this is.

    3. Less cable at the handlebars is both neater and more bar bag friendly.

    4. Given the choice, I'll usually default to buying European[1].
    Besides, bike components are _supposed_ to come from Italy.

    All I need do now is get down to the LBS and clear it all with She Who
    Notices Cash Withdrawals. Can't afford to hang about though, as my
    recovery programme requires a half century in January.

    [1] Must have a word with the other half. Found some Israeli tomatoes in
    the fridge yesterday. Out of season. Lots of food miles. And the rest.
    Where do I begin?

  7. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Not Responding wrote:

    > I think I'll settle for Campag for the following reasons:
    >
    > 1. However much the retro look and feel of downtubes may appeal, I'm
    > trying to limit the amount of time without both hands on the bars.

    better get a Camelbak too in that case. ;-)

    > 2. Greater (if not infinite) trimmability; I'm going for a triple
    > however inelegant some may say this is.

    DT levers are your friend here, without a shadow of a doubt. I;-)

    > 3. Less cable at the handlebars is both neater and more bar bag friendly.

    You'll love DT levers for this reason. Less cables around the stem and
    headset area too. ;-)

    > 4. Given the choice, I'll usually default to buying European[1].
    > Besides, bike components are _supposed_ to come from Italy.

    Suppose I could allow Campag DT levers, they do still do them don't
    they ? or buy second hand from a European that way those nasty Japs
    didn't get YOUR money. ;-)

    > All I need do now is get down to the LBS and clear it all with She Who
    > Notices Cash Withdrawals. Can't afford to hang about though, as my
    > recovery programme requires a half century in January.

    Your wife will prefer DT levers, they are cheaper. ;-)

    > [1] Must have a word with the other half. Found some Israeli tomatoes in
    > the fridge yesterday. Out of season. Lots of food miles. And the rest.
    > Where do I begin?

  8. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Not knowing anything about Shimano vs Campag etc, what wheels and
    > > finishing kit should I be thinking of?

    > I'd recommend Shimano groupset with downtube shifters. Less weight than
    > STi/Ergo. No handlebar/cable mess AT ALL. can be switched to friction
    > mode if needed to give un limited trimming, much cheaper and more

    reliable.

    A lot of modern frames lack the brazeons for DT shifters - they have cable
    stops for ergo/sti/bar ends. This Tifosi frame is no exception.

    I still reckon it's worth looking at the kinesis racelight-T frame - I think
    in practice it will be very similar to the tifosi, but the headset is 1 1/8
    rather than 1".

    cheers,
    clive

  9. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

  10. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries <skankm[email protected]> wrote:

    : Why not, you just know it makes sense. STi/Ergo is a solution looking
    : for a problem for most cyclists.

    Not for me it's not. Being able to change gear while climbing standing
    is a big win for the riding I do.

  11. On 2004-12-16 11:33 +0000, Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    >> Bar bags aren't practical with Shimano STI levers.

    > I use bar bags on my tourer, which has STI levers. I use the Klickfix
    > system with an extender. I've used both an Agu and a Karrimor bag with
    > no problems at all.

    A cheaper alternative is to use a pair of v-brake noodles to route the
    shifter cables down the side of the bar bag. It's a little less
    practical, as you have fewer clicks available in the downshift, but it
    works for me with an Altura bar bag and an unextended Klickfix fitting.

    --
    Andrew Chadwick

  12. Simon Brooke

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    >> MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> : I'd recommend Shimano groupset with downtube shifters. Less weight
    >> : than STi/Ergo. No handlebar/cable mess AT ALL. can be switched to
    >> : friction mode if needed to give un limited trimming, much cheaper
    >> : and more reliable.
    >>
    >> Argh. No!

    > Why not, you just know it makes sense. STi/Ergo is a solution looking
    > for a problem for most cyclists. It really is no big deal taking a
    > hand from the handlebar to change gear, one does it all the time to
    > signal, drink, blow nose, eat, pick nose, remove ear wax - don't we ?

    That's what I thought before I made the change.

    Anagram: I'm soon broke.

  13. Clive George wrote:
    > "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >>>Not knowing anything about Shimano vs Campag etc, what wheels and
    >>>finishing kit should I be thinking of?

    >>I'd recommend Shimano groupset with downtube shifters. Less weight than
    >>STi/Ergo. No handlebar/cable mess AT ALL. can be switched to friction
    >>mode if needed to give un limited trimming, much cheaper and more

    > reliable.
    >
    > A lot of modern frames lack the brazeons for DT shifters - they have cable
    > stops for ergo/sti/bar ends. This Tifosi frame is no exception.
    >
    > I still reckon it's worth looking at the kinesis racelight-T frame - I think
    > in practice it will be very similar to the tifosi, but the headset is 1 1/8
    > rather than 1".

    (Apologies for continued exhibition of ignorance) Apart from 1/8" (3mm?)
    what is the difference between the two? Supplementaty question; why are
    there so many "standards" for bike components?

  14. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:
    > A quick glance at the Campag site implies that triples aren't offered
    > in all their ranges. I'll probably go for the Veloce.

    There is a triple version of every range but they don't all seem to be
    offered by Tifosi Cycles.

    - - - -
    ps. Sorry for the incorrect info about STIs and bar bags.

    ~PB

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > It's also worth pointing out that the Centaur rear mech comes in three
    > cage lengths.

    So do all the other groups now.

    ~PB

  16. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > Why not, you just know it makes sense. STi/Ergo is a solution looking
    > for a problem for most cyclists. It really is no big deal taking a
    > hand
    > from the handlebar to change gear, one does it all the time to signal,
    > drink, blow nose, eat, pick nose, remove ear wax - don't we ?

    I change gear more often than doing any of that... Well, when I'm riding
    a bike, that is.

    ~PB