This is the lung buster!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by ..::Tbf::.., Apr 19, 2003.

  1. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    Tags:

  2. Kent

    Kent Guest

    "..::TBF::> It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that snap
    > from is only halfway, the rest is a piece of cake though.

    Time for a uphill trail deathmatch. I am gonna publish piccys and OS maps of the gradients on some
    of my baddist climbs. Maybe my worst being the climb from Glasdstry to Hergest Ridge ( UK
    Herefordshire ). A crappy 1st gear spin for 22 mins. All you other mad climbers do the same and lets
    get a site of horrendous climbs around the world. Send them in and I'll put them on a site.

  3. On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:08:13 +0100, "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote:

    |"..::TBF::> It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took
    |that snap
    |> from is only halfway, the rest is a piece of cake though.
    |
    |Time for a uphill trail deathmatch. I am gonna publish piccys and OS maps of |the gradients on some
    of my baddist climbs. Maybe my worst being the climb |from Glasdstry to Hergest Ridge ( UK
    Herefordshire ). A crappy 1st gear spin |for 22 mins.

    Only 22 minutes?

    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:08:13 +0100, Kent wrote:
    > "..::TBF::> It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that snap
    >> from is only halfway, the rest is a piece of cake though.
    >
    > Time for a uphill trail deathmatch.

    Here's what I ride for an everyday workout:

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5049103&e=515234&s=25

    Lotsa brown lines! The trail is the dotted blue line (roughly). Takes a good bit more than 22
    minutes, too.

  5. Mr Chris

    Mr Chris Guest

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Time for a uphill trail deathmatch. I am gonna publish piccys and OS maps of the gradients on some
    > of my baddist climbs. Maybe my worst being the climb from Glasdstry to Hergest Ridge ( UK
    > Herefordshire ). A crappy 1st gear spin for 22 mins.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....22 minutes

    > All you other mad climbers do the same and lets get a site of horrendous climbs around the world.
    > Send them in and I'll put them on a site.

    You need to get out more.

    JD

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://groups.msn.com/MTBPhotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
    >

    > It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that snap from is only halfway,
    > the rest is a piece of cake though.

    This one is also somewhat strenuous.

    This is where it starts to get steep (after 8 Mi, 2000 Ft)
    http://mattb.net/images/July%2002/c_creek%20trail%20ahead.jpg

    The last couple of miles and 1000 Ft are kind of tough to clean and often need to be walked.
    http://mattb.net/images/July%2002/c_creek%20matt%20carry.jpg

    Matt (E=MC^2)

  8. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://groups.msn.com/MTBPhotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
    > >

    > > It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that
    snap
    > > from is only halfway, the rest is a piece of cake though.
    > >

    > This one is also somewhat strenuous.
    >
    > This is where it starts to get steep (after 8 Mi, 2000 Ft)
    > http://mattb.net/images/July%2002/c_creek%20trail%20ahead.jpg
    >
    > The last couple of miles and 1000 Ft are kind of tough to clean and often need to be walked.
    > http://mattb.net/images/July%2002/c_creek%20matt%20carry.jpg
    >
    > Matt (E=MC^2)

    Damn, at least you have better scenery!

  9. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    Kent wrote:
    > "..::TBF::> It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that snap
    >> from is only halfway, the rest is a piece of cake though.
    >
    > Time for a uphill trail deathmatch. I am gonna publish piccys and OS maps of the gradients on some
    > of my baddist climbs. Maybe my worst being the climb from Glasdstry to Hergest Ridge ( UK
    > Herefordshire ). A crappy 1st gear spin for 22 mins. All you other mad climbers do the same and
    > lets get a site of horrendous climbs around the world. Send them in and I'll put them on a site.

    OH NO. What have you done man?

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This one is also somewhat strenuous.
    >
    > This is where it starts to get steep (after 8 Mi, 2000 Ft)
    > http://mattb.net/images/July%2002/c_creek%20trail%20ahead.jpg
    >
    > The last couple of miles and 1000 Ft are kind of tough to clean and often need to be walked.
    > http://mattb.net/images/July%2002/c_creek%20matt%20carry.jpg

    You forgot to factor in the altitude being over 12,000 ft msl. The air up there is pretty damn thin.
    The downhill sure is worth the little bit of hoofing on that ride. That second photo looks very
    similar to the shot I got of you on that climb.

    JD now *that's* a climb

  11. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, JD wrote:

    > You forgot to factor in the altitude being over 12,000 ft msl. The air up there is pretty damn
    > thin. The downhill sure is worth the little bit of hoofing on that ride. That second photo looks
    > very similar to the shot I got of you on that climb.
    >
    > JD now *that's* a climb

    Lucky bastards. There's nothing remotely like that in this city. Our climbs are all on the order of
    5 or 6 minutes at most. I guess I need to get out to the mountains more.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  12. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

  13. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Bill Porter wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:01:17 GMT, "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>http://groups.msn.com/MTBPhotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
    >>

    >>It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that snap
    >
    >>from is only halfway, the rest is a piece of cake though.
    >

    > The HARDing Truck Trail in Orange County CA is a climb can get to grinding on legs and lungs
    > http://www.mountainbikebill.com/Harding.htm

    In the LA area I don't think anything beats Bulldog Mtwy at Malibu Creek St Park. It's only 2 miles
    or so but just goes straight up.

    Greg

  14. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:08:21 -0600, MattB wrote:

    > This one is also somewhat strenuous.

    Pictures do a lousy job of showing climbs. It looks like you're barely going uphill...nevermind that
    the camera is pointed up toward the sky to make it look that way!

    A topo shows it better; even better than that is one of those line-graphs of the elevation change.
    Saw one of those from Greg Laprade a month or so ago that looked like some sort of death march!

  15. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

  16. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > http://groups.msn.com/MTBPhotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
    >

    > It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that snap from is only halfway,
    > the rest is a piece of cake though.
    >

    > --
    > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/

    Ahh, but the more common type of lung buster this time of year (for the northern folks anyway), is
    any hill at all. I plan to take my first ride of the season in a bit. just a quicky. mostly to see
    if the new wrong- sized BB will work or not (and to see if my now flabby legs will work or not).

    I am expecting some mud, so i will be sure to bring my new shoes to break them in (just too much
    white anyway).

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  17. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  18. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://groups.msn.com/MTBPhotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
    > >

    > > It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that
    snap
    > > from is only halfway, the rest is a piece of cake though.
    >
    > TBF, you must be joking. That is the trailhead to the Don, it used to take me about 25 seconds to
    > climb that and make my way inside...
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    LOL I didn't say it couldn't be ridden canadian gal, just that you feel it right after. Just about
    everyone I ride with around here can do that in no time flat.....still hurts!

  19. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://groups.msn.com/MTBPhotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
    >

    > It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that snap from is only halfway,
    > the rest is a piece of cake though.
    >
    > --
    > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/

    This isn't the steepest or toughest I've ridden but happens to be one that I have some photos of.
    Not the best of pics but you can kinda get the idea.

    http://www.pbase.com/image/15756387

    A nice view from 3/5 of the way up. You ride up into forest after this before hitting the ridge top
    at 1300ft. and riding back down another 8km the other side to meet 'proper' gravel roads.

    http://www.pbase.com/image/15756410

    --
    Westie

  20. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://groups.msn.com/MTBPhotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
    > >

    > > It may not look like much, but from the road to the spot I took that
    snap
    > > from is only halfway, the rest is a piece of cake though.
    > >
    > > --
    > > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/
    > >

    > This isn't the steepest or toughest I've ridden but happens to be one that
    > have some photos of. Not the best of pics but you can kinda get the idea.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/15756387
    >
    > A nice view from 3/5 of the way up. You ride up into forest after this before hitting the ridge
    > top at 1300ft. and riding back down another 8km
    the
    > other side to meet 'proper' gravel roads.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/15756410
    >
    > --
    > Westie

    Nice scenery, I have to travel an hour in any direction to get a view like that!