THIS IS the optimal TT cadence

TiMan

Sep 29, 2003
Much has been said about optimal TT cadence. Some say if you have great aerobic developement then go for a high cadence.....others say that the more muscular man should use a lower cadence. Others say that you should do whats best for you. I think this is all too much thinking, instead shouldn't we look at those that perform the best in TT efforts and try to learn from them?

Here is my .02

The optimal cadence for TT is what is commonly seen in the top time performers....be they pro or not.

This cadence is between 95 and 110...and most commonly about 98-105.

More proof of this can be seen from the cadences used by HOUR RECORD BREAKERS.

Going back in time here are the record holders and their cadences used for their records.

Boardman.......105

Rominger.........102.2

Indurain.........100.9

Obree............?

Moser.............103.1

MERCKX..........103.9.....the so called big gear masher.

Ritter...........105.4

Bracke...........106.3

ANQUETIL....2nd time 92.7.....the only lowish cadence man

Riviere..........104.7

Anquetil....1st time...104!

Coppi............103.3

So my advice is to build your aerobic engine so that you can grind a BIG GEAR at a high cadence.

Would like to know your source for these data, and how they were collected. (In order to get an average cadence to the nearest 0.1 rpm, did someone count the total number of crank revs in an hour and divide, or just collect a few samples?)

Also, it would be interesting to know how consistent the cadences were over the hour record run, rather than just seeing an average. EG, did Boardman maintain 105 rpm to the nearest whole rpm for the entire hour, vary +/- 5 rpm throughout, or start at 95 rpm and then build to 115 at the end?

dhk said:
Would like to know your source for these data, and how they were collected. (In order to get an average cadence to the nearest 0.1 rpm, did someone count the total number of crank revs in an hour and divide, or just collect a few samples?)

Also, it would be interesting to know how consistent the cadences were over the hour record run, rather than just seeing an average. EG, did Boardman maintain 105 rpm to the nearest whole rpm for the entire hour, vary +/- 5 rpm throughout, or start at 95 rpm and then build to 115 at the end?

I would say it would be average rpm.

Not too difficult to calculate as there are two known elements. The Km's travelled per hour (the object of the exercise) and the fixed single speed gearing. The only estimate would be the roll out distance per crank revolution as this would be determined by the circumference of the tyre/wheel combination.

If you wanted more detail you can find the split times (I recall it to be at 5km distances) to calculate the average rpm per 5km segment. Merckx used a 52x14 (100") in setting the record in 1972 in Mexico City and started out fast breaking the 5k, 10k and 20k records then eased and consolidated to push towards the hour. Obviously, his rpm to 20k would have been higher.