This is well-worth reading

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:02:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Jeez, there's GOT to be an appropriate group for this. In a quick skim
> >or it, I didn't find a recipe or anything to do with cooking or food.

> We've been through this with nancree in the past. She won't post her
> political drivel in a more suitable group. Apparently she figures
> she's accomplishing something here.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Ugh. I know. I usually skip them and don't know what led me to respond
to this one.

New potatoes are in; green peas are in. This is good.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Slovak Pea and Potato Soup

Recipe By : Mom, posted yet again to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 7-6-05
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Slovensky Recepty

2 quarts water
2 cups diced potatoes
1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
1 teaspoon salt
10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons flour

Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to thicken
slightly. Cook until peas are done.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

_____
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/01/05 Sam I Am!

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:37:37 -0700, "The Ranger"
> <[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:
>
> ~nancree <[email protected]> wrote in message
> ~news:[email protected]... ~> The
> following full page ad was placed in the Washington ~> Post by a
> businessman named George J. Esseff, Sr. He ~> paid $104,655.60 to run
> the ad ~[snip remaining ********] ~ ~He should have added in another
> US$44.40 for someone else to ghost write ~it. That work he would have
> been proud of, not the ad he blew his life ~savings on. ~ ~The Ranger
>
> He has a right to say whatever he pleases, and if he pays for the
> privilige, have it printed in the newspaper as an ad. He sounds like
> the sort of people I work with, "who believe in God and Senator Dodd
> and putting old Castro down" and have no desire to think for
> themselves about what the political decisions being made have to do
> with them.

And that's the final problem, isn't it? My experience with these folks
is that they're only too happy to say, "I ain't no fool, I'm a goin' to
school, and I'm working in a defense plant." They live in a world of
distant principles and far-off cataclysms where they know how best you
should live, but their hands are tidy.

> And I doubt that's his life savings.
> http://www.supraalloys.com/PressRelease.htm

Pity. It would mean no more such smug twaddle.

Pastorio

On Wed 06 Jul 2005 09:26:23p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> New potatoes are in; green peas are in. This is good.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Slovak Pea and Potato Soup
>
> Recipe By : Mom, posted yet again to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 7-6-05
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Slovensky Recepty

> 2 quarts water
> 2 cups diced potatoes
> 1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
> 3 tablespoons butter
> 1/3 cup minced onion
> 2 tablespoons flour
>
> Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
> minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
> lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to thicken
> slightly. Cook until peas are done.
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
> NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

Barb, I'm so glad you posted this! My ex's mother used to make this and I
love it, but never managed to find out what she put in it. She was the one
who taught me about zaprashka. :) I'm going to make this after work
tomorrow.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/6/2005 9:32:26 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Slovak Pea and Potato Soup
>
> Recipe By : Mom, posted yet again to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 7-6-05
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Slovensky Recepty

> 2 quarts water
> 2 cups diced potatoes
> 1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
> 3 tablespoons butter
> 1/3 cup minced onion
> 2 tablespoons flour
>
> Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
> minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
> lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to thicken
> slightly. Cook until peas are done.
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
> NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

I bet this would be even better (though no longer "lenten") if you used ham
broth instead of water.

Bob

"Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Slovak Pea and Potato Soup
>>
>> Recipe By : Mom, posted yet again to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 7-6-05
>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Slovensky Recepty
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 2 quarts water
>> 2 cups diced potatoes
>> 1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>> 10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
>> 3 tablespoons butter
>> 1/3 cup minced onion
>> 2 tablespoons flour
>>
>> Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
>> minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
>> lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to thicken
>> slightly. Cook until peas are done.
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
>> NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

> I bet this would be even better (though no longer "lenten") if you used
> ham broth instead of water.
>
> Bob

I think you are a very good chef!
The broth made with ham bone, is very very savoury, but perhaps too salted
and fat. I'll try to make this soup because I picked up some peas from my
vegetable garden!
Cheers
Pandora

nancree wrote:
> The following full page ad was placed in the Washington Post by a
> businessman named George J. Esseff, Sr. <snip>

WHAT I AM is a rather annoyed ng reader who has to wonder about the
integrity and sense of a person who deliberately posts divisive
political material in a cooking ng. Very trollish behavior.
Senseless.

Mac

Pandora replied:

> "Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> Slovak Pea and Potato Soup
>>>
>>> Recipe By : Mom, posted yet again to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 7-6-05
>>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Slovensky Recepty
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 2 quarts water
>>> 2 cups diced potatoes
>>> 1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>> 10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
>>> 3 tablespoons butter
>>> 1/3 cup minced onion
>>> 2 tablespoons flour
>>>
>>> Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
>>> minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
>>> lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to thicken
>>> slightly. Cook until peas are done.
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
>>> NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

>> I bet this would be even better (though no longer "lenten") if you used
>> ham broth instead of water.
>>
>> Bob

> I think you are a very good chef!
> The broth made with ham bone, is very very savoury, but perhaps too salted
> and fat. I'll try to make this soup because I picked up some peas from my
> vegetable garden!

Thank you for the very kind compliment, but I would never call myself a
chef: Those hard-working and talented people who *deserve* to be called
"chef" received extensive training for the privilege of that title. By
contrast, I have received no training at all. I just know how to prepare
food that I like.

Regarding the amount of salt in the soup, I'd certainly expect to omit the
teaspoon of salt if I were using ham broth, and maybe I'd dilute the broth
with some water or I'd increase the amount of potatoes being used.

If you're concerned about fat in the broth, you can always chill it and
scrape the fat off the top before you begin cooking with it. Personally, I
think the fat adds a great deal of flavor, and I'd probably leave it in.

Bob

In article <[email protected]>, "Bob"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > Slovak Pea and Potato Soup

(particulars snipped)
> > NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

> I bet this would be even better (though no longer "lenten") if you
> used ham broth instead of water.

> Bob

Dunno, Bob. :-0) I often add a bit of chicken base (powder) to the
liquid when I'm cooking the spuds.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/01/05 Sam I Am!

In article <[email protected]>, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed 06 Jul 2005 09:26:23p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > New potatoes are in; green peas are in. This is good.
> >
> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
> >
> > Slovak Pea and Potato Soup
> >
> > Recipe By : Mom, posted yet again to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller 7-6-05
> > Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> > Categories : Slovensky Recepty
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 2 quarts water
> > 2 cups diced potatoes
> > 1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
> > 1 teaspoon salt
> > 10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
> > 3 tablespoons butter
> > 1/3 cup minced onion
> > 2 tablespoons flour
> >
> > Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
> > minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and brown
> > lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to thicken
> > slightly. Cook until peas are done.
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
> > NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

> Barb, I'm so glad you posted this! My ex's mother used to make this
> and I love it, but never managed to find out what she put in it. She
> was the one who taught me about zaprashka. :) I'm going to make
> this after work tomorrow.

Well, I don't know about your former MIL, but this is the way Mom made
it. Cheap was the key here. I know that Mom didn't use any chicken
broth/bouillon cube/chicken base, but I sometimes do. The most
important of the seasoning, besides the zaprashka, is the FRESH parsley.
Don't even *think* about using dried parsley.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/01/05 Sam I Am!

In article <[email protected]>,
nancree <[email protected]> wrote:

> WHAT I AM .. is a former democrat who now understands that it
> is the
> soldier
> and not the reporter that guarantees us our freedoms of press,
> speech and
> dissent.

Ah. So the pen is NOT mightier than the sword. Pass the ammo.

"Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> Thank you for the very kind compliment, but I would never call myself a
> chef:

Ok. So a connoisseur!

Those hard-working and talented people who *deserve* to be called
> "chef" received extensive training for the privilege of that title. By
> contrast, I have received no training at all. I just know how to prepare
> food that I like.

You are too humble!

> Regarding the amount of salt in the soup, I'd certainly expect to omit the
> teaspoon of salt if I were using ham broth, and maybe I'd dilute the broth
> with some water or I'd increase the amount of potatoes being used.

Because you are a connoisseur :))) Good!

> If you're concerned about fat in the broth, you can always chill it and
> scrape the fat off the top before you begin cooking with it.

Yes, we could!

Personally, I
> think the fat adds a great deal of flavor, and I'd probably leave it in.

....if you aren't on a diet...
Yes fat is better!
See you later Bob!
Pandora

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

<snip>
> > a great read!
> > ____

> <snip political manifesto>
>
> It would have been a LOT easier to read the forwarded self-aggrandizing
> twaddle if you'd bothered to format it so that the text didn't have all
> those line breaks at inappropriate places. Please think about netiquette
> before pushing the "Send" button.
>
> Bob

If the troll gave a happy rat's rear end about netiquette it wouldn't
have pushed the "Send" button at all.

Regards,
Dave W.

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

Regardless of what doesn't happen, there's always someone who knew it wouldn't.
R. Henry

maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:37:37 -0700, "The Ranger"

<[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:
> ~ nancree <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:[email protected]...
> ~ > The following full page ad was placed in the Washington
> ~ > Post by a businessman named George J. Esseff, Sr. He
> ~ > paid $104,655.60 to run the ad
> ~ [snip remaining ********]
> ~
> ~ He should have added in another US$44.40 for someone else
> ~ to ghost write it. That work he would have been proud of, not
> ~ the ad he blew his life savings on.
> ~
> He has a right to say whatever he pleases, and if he pays for the
> privilige, have it printed in the newspaper as an ad. He sounds
> like the sort of people I work with, "who believe in God and
> Senator Dodd and putting old Castro down" and have no desire
> to think for themselves about what the political decisions being
> made have to do with them.

I agree with you (although it might not sound like it.) He does have the
right to waste his money and spew his nonsensical dogma however he
likes. He also has the right to stop thinking while others continue to
make decisions that his short-term thinking blinds him to his future.

> And I doubt that's his life savings.
> http://www.supraalloys.com/PressRelease.htm

That's disturbing...

The Ranger

Debbie wrote:
> nancree wrote:
>
>>>The following full page ad was placed in the Washington Post by a
>>> businessman named George J. Esseff, Sr.
>>> He paid $104,655.60 to run the

> I remember reading something very similar to this (not in this newsgroup).
> Wish I could put my finger on it. Makes me suspect that either it is
> recycled material or plagiarized material.
>
> Debbie

It ran in the Washington Post on Wednesday, October 20th, 2004 and has
been freely circulating on the Internet since then.

Best regards,
Bob

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Curly Sue wrote:
>
> > We've been through this with nancree in the past. She won't post her
> > political drivel in a more suitable group. Apparently she figures
> > she's accomplishing something here.

> Yup Sue, it's called "getting into more folks' killfiles"...

Yeah, I that was it for me, in she goes.

Brian

nancree wrote:

No, it isn't worth reading. At the very least you could have put OT in
the heading so we'd have known not to click on it. -aem

zxcvbob wrote:
>> Debbie wrote:

>>> I remember reading something very similar to this (not in this
>>> newsgroup). Wish I could put my finger on it. Makes me suspect
>>> that either it is recycled material or plagiarized material.
>>>
>>> Debbie
>>>

>> It ran in the Washington Post on Wednesday, October 20th, 2004 and
>> has been freely circulating on the Internet since then.

Thanks, glad to know my memory isnt' 100% faulty! :)

Debbie

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:02:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Jeez, there's GOT to be an appropriate group for this. In a quick
>>> skim or it, I didn't find a recipe or anything to do with cooking
>>> or food.

>> We've been through this with nancree in the past. She won't post her
>> political drivel in a more suitable group. Apparently she figures
>> she's accomplishing something here.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> Ugh. I know. I usually skip them and don't know what led me to
> respond to this one.
>

> New potatoes are in; green peas are in. This is good.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Slovak Pea and Potato Soup
>
> Recipe By : Mom, posted yet again to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller
> 7-6-05 Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Slovensky Recepty

> 2 quarts water
> 2 cups diced potatoes
> 1/3 cup chopped FRESH parsley
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 10 ounce pkg frozen peas (or 2 cups fresh)
> 3 tablespoons butter
> 1/3 cup minced onion
> 2 tablespoons flour
>
> Bring water to boil; add potatoes, parsley and salt and cook for 10
> minutes. Stir in peas. Brown onion in butter, stir in flour and
> brown lightly (this mixture is called "zaprashka"); stir into soup to
> thicken slightly. Cook until peas are done.
> NOTES : Cheap to make and very tasty! A lenten favorite.

Sounds great, Barb! You know me and soup :) I'll give this a try.

Jill