this looks painful

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by byron27, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
  2. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    I forgot my gloves once in a crit. I crashed at speed after a couple of laps, and it was _very_ painful. Interestingly enough, I've never forgotten them since...

    Regards,

    Suzy

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

  4. On 2004-12-06, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hey, I ain't stupid enough to put my hands down first. Gloves ain't
    > gonna stop that broken wrist, either!

    Reminds me of back in my goal umpiring days (Aussie Rules -- VAFA
    matches, if anybody really cares.) I was running backwards (as you do)
    to get under the flight of the ball (as goal umpires are supposed to do,
    so they know if it's a goal or a point). Hit some uneven ground, went
    over backwards, put my (left) hand out to save myself, and broke the
    scaphoid in the process.

    Six weeks in plaster. Not fun.

    This was during my final year of university. The time in plaster
    basically put me out as an umpire for the rest of the season. For some
    reason, I didn't go back to that job after the bone healed. :) (That
    had more to do with the money than the injury, though, to be fair. A
    Saturday, essentially wiped, for less than fifty bucks? No thanks.)

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2004/dec04/southbank04/Bgarde-fall2_3335

    > Hey, I ain't stupid enough to put my hands down first. Gloves ain't
    > gonna stop that broken wrist, either!

    I'm not so nimble/swift-of-mind to know what the hell
    my hands are doing - I'm pretty sure I stick 'em out at
    every oppurtunity.. stupid I know.. but, I'd rather have
    a busted wrist 'without' the need to scrub gravel out of
    the attached palm as well..
    I'm nowhere near perfect - I forgot my gloves on the
    track the other week. Lucky it was track and I was
    already worried :)

    hippy

  6. xisle

    xisle New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2004
    The only time I don't try and put my hands down first is when I'm better served by the tuck-head-in-and-summersault technique.

    I figure as long as you don't land with a stiff arm you're better off hitting the ground with a padded glove and trying absorb some of the impact.

  7. "xisle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The only time I don't try and put my hands down first is when I'm better
    > served by the tuck-head-in-and-summersault technique.
    >
    > I figure as long as you don't land with a stiff arm you're better off
    > hitting the ground with a padded glove and trying absorb some of the
    > impact.
    >

    > --
    > xisle

    Everyone talks about this tuck -and-roll method for falling off a bike but
    I've seen a lot of crashes in my time and I've NEVER seen anyone do anything
    like that. Usually they've slammed onto the ground before they know what's
    happening. How do you tuck and roll when you're clipped into your pedals.
    Are there any video clips that demonstrate this?

    Marty

  8. oely

    oely New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2004
    Watch some Jackass video clips?

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Marty Wallace wrote:
    > > Everyone talks about this tuck -and-roll method for falling off a bike

    but
    > > I've seen a lot of crashes in my time and I've NEVER seen anyone do

    anything
    > > like that.

    > You have to train yourself to say roll, roll stupid, roll {:)
    > It works, so long as that is all you DO.

    I just don't think that any amount of practise rolling on grass (for me)
    would help when I'm doing 50kph, about to cough up a lung, heart
    and last night's dinner and the rider in front clips a wheel or something
    and I hit him.. I'd be tarmac-toast before I know what's happened..
    Some crashes I reckon the roll thing would work - the long, drawn
    out, over the bars, 'look ma I'm flying" kinda ones.. others.. well
    maybe if I'd paid more attention in gymnastics lessons.. :)

    > > Usually they've slammed onto the ground before they know what's
    > > happening. How do you tuck and roll when you're clipped into your

    pedals.

    > Rip yourself out fast!

    ...and when you're practically bolted to the bike when track racing??

    hippy

  10. Huw

    Huw Guest

    >> You have to train yourself to say roll, roll stupid, roll {:)
    >> It works, so long as that is all you DO.

    Apparently, judo is good for this. You spend a lot of time learning how to be thrown, until landing safely is instinctive.

  11. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Yep, I did judo as a kid and have survived many crashes with nothing more than scars on top of the scars which are already there (and show up every summer because they tan much darker). It's because every time we'd be somersaulting over up to 10 people (and then having to land). They teach you to fall first because after that you spend a lot of time getting thrown onto the floor. It becomes an automatic response, which I'm glad to have, but I doubt anyone can do it consciously (if you have time to think, avoid the crash).

    And the crashes I'km talking about are track crashes, commuting through the air at speed and landing in a cafe, mountain bike crashes (apparently your front wheel stops when it hits a 1m deep hole full of mud) and the inevitable sliding out the back wheel in the wet going around a corner crashes that happen every 6 months or so.

  12. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    It is. I did judo as a kid and the tuck and roll thing is instinctive for me. I still got scraped up a bit the couple of times I've fallen because even though getting out of the pedals wasn't a problem, the bike is still between your legs. Having said that, I'm willing to bet I would have gotten scraped a lot worse had I just put out the hand and slid along the asphalt.

  13. "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Apparently, judo is good for this. You spend a lot of time learning how
    > > to be thrown, until landing safely is instinctive.

    > Yep, I did judo as a kid and have survived many crashes with nothing
    > more than scars on top of the scars which are already there (and show
    > up every summer because they tan much darker). It's because every time
    > we'd be somersaulting over up to 10 people (and then having to land).
    > They teach you to fall first because after that you spend a lot of time
    > getting thrown onto the floor. It becomes an automatic response, which
    > I'm glad to have, but I doubt anyone can do it consciously (if you have
    > time to think, avoid the crash).
    >
    > And the crashes I'km talking about are track crashes, commuting through
    > the air at speed and landing in a cafe, mountain bike crashes
    > (apparently your front wheel stops when it hits a 1m deep hole full of
    > mud) and the inevitable sliding out the back wheel in the wet going
    > around a corner crashes that happen every 6 months or so.
    >

    > --
    > Shabby

    I've done Karate and gymnastics (third in the state) as a kid, I've ridden
    mad horses, I've done the Avon Descent canoe race three times and didn't
    fall out once in the last one (in a pretty tippy kayak) and I've done a huge
    amount of mountain bike riding and I've even done some road racing. So I
    reckon I've got pretty good good reflexes. And I reckon that except for when
    you do a bit of a nose dive on a mountain bike, or get thrown over the top
    when you forget to keep pedaling on a track bike, for all other cases you
    could probably forget about the tuck-roll. I'm assuming you're clipped in to
    your pedals too, since most serious riders use clips these days.
    I have to admit I saw Danny do a somersault on his road bike (don't forget
    to wipe the oil of the rim after spraying your chain !) but that was after
    hitting a kerb dead on at 60 km/h, and he stayed clipped in through the
    whole crash. That was exceptional circumstances. He was left with a
    permanent sagging shoulder after that.

    Marty

  14. hippy wrote:

    > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Marty Wallace wrote:
    > > > Everyone talks about this tuck -and-roll method for falling off a bike

    > but
    > > > I've seen a lot of crashes in my time and I've NEVER seen anyone do

    > anything
    > > > like that.

    > > You have to train yourself to say roll, roll stupid, roll {:)
    > > It works, so long as that is all you DO.

    > I just don't think that any amount of practise rolling on grass (for me)
    > would help when I'm doing 50kph, about to cough up a lung, heart
    > and last night's dinner and the rider in front clips a wheel or something
    > and I hit him.. I'd be tarmac-toast before I know what's happened..

    That is why I emphasise that it has to be something you have trained
    yourself to just do and you don't stop and think about. You start into a
    roll (drop shoulder and twist) so that when you hit the ground (and
    hopefully nothing else) your body tends to keep rolling rather than play
    cheese grater with the ground. I certainly are not going to practise on
    my local side street {:-(.

    You really are trying to minimise the damage, both short term and long
    term. In my experience any crash is going to hurt. More so if you try to
    stop rather than roll.

    I've never been in a racing crash (because I don't race/never have), but
    on the other occassions, when I've gone for a roll I've certainly come
    off better than when I haven't. (Thinks of current tendancy to bash
    knees into gravel when mtb slides out)

  15. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Marty Wallace wrote:
    > > > Everyone talks about this tuck -and-roll method for falling off a bike

    > but
    > > > I've seen a lot of crashes in my time and I've NEVER seen anyone do

    > anything
    > > > like that.

    > > You have to train yourself to say roll, roll stupid, roll {:)
    > > It works, so long as that is all you DO.

    > I just don't think that any amount of practise rolling on grass (for me)
    > would help when I'm doing 50kph, about to cough up a lung, heart
    > and last night's dinner and the rider in front clips a wheel or something
    > and I hit him.. I'd be tarmac-toast before I know what's happened..
    > Some crashes I reckon the roll thing would work - the long, drawn
    > out, over the bars, 'look ma I'm flying" kinda ones.. others.. well
    > maybe if I'd paid more attention in gymnastics lessons.. :)
    >
    > > > Usually they've slammed onto the ground before they know what's
    > > > happening. How do you tuck and roll when you're clipped into your

    > pedals.
    > >
    > > Rip yourself out fast!

    > ..and when you're practically bolted to the bike when track racing??
    >
    > hippy

    You know those ?Adidas? ads that say things like "Running makes you a
    better soccer player" etc... well they were print ads... well anyway

    Circus makes you a better falling-off-you-bike person...

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Huw wrote:

    > >> You have to train yourself to say roll, roll stupid, roll {:)
    > >> It works, so long as that is all you DO.

    > Apparently, judo is good for this. You spend a lot of time learning how to be thrown, until landing safely is instinctive.

    (Okay I confess it's not really circus that makes me good at landing...)

  17. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Obviously need to keep hands on bars and not outstretched - SPD type devices to keep gloves and handlebars in close attachment?

    My road crashes have involved the bike and me sliding, so no real opportunity to roll. On the other hand, as a pedestrian I was hid by a courier van. I flew into the air and whilst suspended mid air (or that's what it felt like) I knew I had to roll when I hit the road (and get to my feet and off the road so I would not be pavement pizza under the wheels of the oncoming cars). Judo through school and uni worked for me on that occasion. Perhaps the Rugby that I played at that time also helped me survive being hit by the van (honestly, ref, I never provoked him :) )

    SteveA

  18. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    SteveA wrote:

    <snip>
    > My road crashes have involved the bike and me sliding, so no real
    > opportunity to roll. On the other hand, as a pedestrian I was hid by a
    > courier van. I flew into the air and whilst suspended mid air (or
    > that's what it felt like) I knew I had to roll when I hit the road (and
    > get to my feet and off the road so I would not be pavement pizza under
    > the wheels of the oncoming cars). Judo through school and uni worked
    > for me on that occasion. Perhaps the Rugby that I played at that time
    > also helped me survive being hit by the van (honestly, ref, I never
    > provoked him :) )

    Most of my bike stacks have been low speed - e.g. hitting a corner too
    fast and finding wet, slimy cement as I rode out of the building on my
    MTB, sliding etc; however I did have one good one out in the Glasshouse
    Mtns. We were heading out along the road and a logging truck came to
    pass us so we pulled over as far as we could. I didn't have a helmet,
    because I'd forgotten it, and didn't want to drive 3 hours to get it and
    get back there. This meant I was going a bit slower than I would've
    normally, I guess, but it still would've been about 30 km/h. I dropped
    off the edge of the road onto the gravel so stayed there, looking for
    somewhere to pop back up. Brand new MTB, and I didn't know that the
    store hadn't set it up very well, and it felt a bit shaky. I found my
    spot, turned the wheel far and pushed it up over the lip, only to
    discover that my new tyres were fatter than on my old bike, so I didn't
    make it. And I stacked it. As I came off, I rolled forwards and to the
    right, kind of diagonally along the handlebars, kept rolling down from
    shoulder to opposite hip. Next thing I know, I'm standing at the side of
    the road with my team mates staring stunned at me... what did I do?
    They said "you grabbed your bike!" and I had no idea what they were on
    about. As it turns out, my instinct was to roll to standing, grab my
    bike and step off the road. I think the reason I grabbed my bike was
    that it was blocking the shortest path off the road. Either way, it was
    a good move and a fast one. The next logging truck missed me by about a
    metre.