This may sound like a stupid question...

sesdayi

Mar 5, 2012
Hey guys,

I just got given an old bike by my neighbour. I got the lock too (and the key). Now, the thing is, I can't open it!

It's a U-shaped, 'Cannondale' lock, and no matter what I twist, turn and pull, there isn't even a place to put a key!

Am I missing something extremely obvious?? Or could perhaps be a matter of needing lubricant?

I've never used a lock like this before. Any ideas?

Yours sincerely,

A concerned cyclist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Generic_u-lock.jpg

The key goes in the end of the large bar at the bottom--either from the left or right in the photo I linked above.

Maybe a picture or two of the lock in question would help explain the mystery.....

Attachments

• DSC01591.JPG
    DSC01591.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC01591.JPG
    DSC01591.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC01592.JPG
    DSC01592.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC01593.JPG
    DSC01593.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC01594.JPG
    DSC01594.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC01595.JPG
    DSC01595.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
Looks like you have to spin that silver band until the hole lines up with the keyhole.

Yeah, that's what I thought but it seems to be stuck. Not even rusty or anything, just absolutely won't budge all the way round. The hole remains closed.

Time for a new lock maybe?

You might try saturating the part that supposed to move in WD-40 or Liquid Wrench overnight, then wack it against the curb several times.

If that doesn't loosen it up enough to be able to unlock it, then I'd probably pitch it and buy something else.

Thanks for all your help! My super-strong boyfriend managed to twist the lock around :) I will definitely try WD-40 or graphite powder to loosen the lock.