this newsgroup's URL

In article <e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>, [email protected] says...
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that written? My though is that it's:
> news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But that doesn't seem to work.

The news:// hyperlink needs to point to the name of a news server not a news group. Like
news://news.individual.net/ You still need to subscribe to the NG on that server and you still need
access right to the news server.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

previously Steve Fox may have written article <e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04> saying:
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that written? My though is that it's:
> news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But that doesn't seem to work.

That is correct. However you need to have a news server defined. Just tried it with lynx and came
straight here.

Alternatively you can specify an exact server using:
nntp://name_of_newsserver/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

--
Giolla Decair "Missed it the moment to join in the laugh" - George Marsh

previously Bill Anton may have written article
<[email protected]> saying:
> Steve Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>...
>> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that written? My though is that
>> it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But that doesn't seem to work.
[snip]
> Try this URL: http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Peh. That's a link to a web server not to a newsgroup. Just 'cos google provides a web interface to
usenet doesn't make it the correct way to link to usenet. Just as you wouldn't /* I hope */ provide
an e-mail link by linking to hotmail.

--
Giolla "I remember when it wasn't september" Decair "Missed it the moment to join in the laugh" -
George Marsh

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010807040504050609000104 Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Giolla,

I'm trying to direct folks from all over to the group. So, I can't specify a particular
server, can I?

Steve

Giolla Decair wrote:

>previously Steve Fox may have written article <e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04> saying:
>

>>If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that written? My though is that it's:
>>news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But that doesn't seem to work.
>>

>That is correct. However you need to have a news server defined. Just tried it with lynx and came
>straight here.
>
>Alternatively you can specify an exact server using:
>nntp://name_of_newsserver/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

--
Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

--------------010807040504050609000104 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff"> Giolla,<br> <br> I'm trying to direct folks from all over to the
wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
wrap="">previously Steve Fox may have written article <e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04> saying:
how is that written? My though is that it's: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent">news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent</a>. But that doesn't seem to
server defined. Just tried it with lynx and came straight here.

Alternatively you can specify an exact server using: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="nntp-
://name_of_newsserver/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent">nntp://name_of_newsserver/alt.rec.bicycles.rec-
umbent</a>

class="moz-txt-link-freetext"

Giolla Decair <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> previously Bill Anton may have written article
> <[email protected]> saying:
>> Steve Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>...
>>> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that written? My though is that
>>> it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But that doesn't seem to work.
> [snip]
>> Try this URL: http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
>
> Peh. That's a link to a web server not to a newsgroup. Just 'cos google provides a web interface
> to usenet doesn't make it the correct way to link to usenet. Just as you wouldn't /* I hope */
> provide an e-mail link by linking to hotmail.

Umm, the only way to have a web link that goes to a usenet group is to have it go through a web
server for that group. At least, that's the only way _I_ know. If you know of another way,
please, educate the rest of the class. Don't simply say "No, that's wrong" without giving us the
right answer.

What Steve appears to be asking for is a way to point a web user to the group. The only way to do
that is to point that user to a web-based server.

It's much like, you can give a person your email address, but it does them no good without a mail
server to send it from. So, you also give them the address to Hotmail (or Yahoo, or some other web
email service), so they can create an account and then send you email.

-Bill Hamilton

In article <mKB0b.3191$n94.1141@fed1read04>, [email protected] says...
> Giolla,
>
> I'm trying to direct folks from all over to the group. So, I can't specify a particular
> server, can I?

> >>If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that written? My though is that
> >>it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But that doesn't seem to work.
> >>

> >That is correct. However you need to have a news server defined. Just tried it with lynx and came
> >straight here.

Then you really do not understand how Newsgroups work do you?

A news message is just a special email. Instead of being sent to a mail server to be forwarded on to
the mail server of the recipient(s), It is sent to a News Server. That News server passes that
message along to the next news server up the line where it is eventually distributed to all the
other news servers in the known universe.

The news server that you use harvests all messages that it receives from all newsservers and sorts
those messages into news groups like ARBR and alt.rec.**** etc. Your news server will hold the
messages in a queue for a period of time (days or hours) After that time the messages are deleted
from that news server. While the messages are being held on that news server, anyone on the
newsserver's subscription list can log on to that news server and download any messages

You can read news messages from a news server with a news client. That client can be a program like
Microplanet Gravity or Forte's Agent or Outlook. It can even be in a Browser like Opera or Netscape
or Lynx. IE uses Outlook by default as its newsreader. Some web sites like Google manage their own
news server and server up web pages as news clients so no news reader is needed

So, Which news server do you subscribe to? Is it 'news.cox.net' (your ISP) or News.Individual.NET or
do you just use Google to browse news messages?

The 'folks from all over' need a news client to read news messages ant they need to subscribe to a
news server. Some news servers are free like News.Individual.NET or the one managed by Google. Most
cost, like the one you paid for with your ISP Subscription.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

previously Steve Fox may have written article <mKB0b.3191$n94.1141@fed1read04> saying: [snip]
> I'm trying to direct folks from all over to the group. So, I can't specify a particular
> server, can I?

Nope you'll need to use the: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent format, but not every browser is
capable of displaying news groups, so for some it might not work.

So you might want to point people at google as well, as it'll probably make your life easier, even
though it's not ideal.

--
Giolla Decair "Missed it the moment to join in the laugh" - George Marsh

previously Bill Hamilton may have written article
<[email protected]> saying:
> Giolla Decair <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
[snip]
>>> Try this URL: http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
>> Peh. That's a link to a web server not to a newsgroup. Just 'cos google provides a web interface
>> to usenet doesn't make it the correct way to link to usenet. Just as you wouldn't /* I hope */
>> provide an e-mail link by linking to hotmail.
> Umm, the only way to have a web link that goes to a usenet group is to have it go through a web
> server for that group. At least, that's the

Not true, same way as a mailto: url doesn't go to a web page but instead invokes you mail client, an
news: url should invoke your news reader. /* ditto for telnet: */ Browsers with associated news
readers will do this, e.g. Netscape and lynx possibly also mozzila.

> only way _I_ know. If you know of another way, please, educate the rest of the class. Don't simply
> say "No, that's wrong" without giving us the right answer.

The thing about URL's is they are a standard way of specifying a resource on the internet, most
commonly this is a web page, but the URL specification covers far more protocols than just http. In
theory the appropriate program will be called to deal with the URL being accessed.
E.g. you click on a http: url in your mail client your web browser start you click on a mailto: url
in your web browser your mail client starts, telnet: url your telnet client starts a news: url
should start your news reader, sendingit directly to it's local news server.

> What Steve appears to be asking for is a way to point a web user to the group. The only way to do
> that is to point that user to a web-based server.

That depends on thier browser, and as there is a proper way of specifying a newsgroup within the URL
specificationit's better practice to use that. For people with browsers that can handle news: URLs
it will provide far faster and more convenient access as it will be going to a more local resource.

> It's much like, you can give a person your email address, but it does them no good without a mail
> server to send it from. So, you also give them the address to Hotmail (or Yahoo, or some other web
> email service), so they can create an account and then send you email.

On the other hand why tell people they have to use a hotmail account to send e-mail when there are
many alternatives and they probably have an e-mail address already?

See RFC 1738 for more details about what URLs are and what they can and can't do.

ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/doc/rfc/rfc1738.txt

--
Giolla Decair "Missed it the moment to join in the laugh" - George Marsh

Respectfully to everyone,

Giolla is correct. As long as your browser can handle news URLs properly, you should be able to
click on a hypertext link specifying a news url and it should fire up your default news reader. In
my case, I clicked on Giolla's message (quoted below), and it fired up my Outlook News client
(Outlook Express 6 for Windoze).

Try pasting this line of code in a HTML page:

If it doesn't fire up, you may have to configure your default newsreader. (IE6 for Windoze: tools,
options, programs)

--
o o Chris Champion .\_-.\_-.o Vision R40 SWB ( ) () Double Vision R85

> Nope you'll need to use the: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent format, but not every browser is
> capable of displaying news groups, so for some it might not work.

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050003040302090801080506 Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

And Chris is right. His link brings you straight here. Many thanks Giolla and Chris!

Steve

Chris Champion wrote:

>Respectfully to everyone,
>
>Giolla is correct. As long as your browser can handle news URLs properly, you should be able to
>click on a hypertext link specifying a news url and it should fire up your default news reader. In
>my case, I clicked on Giolla's message (quoted below), and it fired up my Outlook News client
>(Outlook Express 6 for Windoze).
>
>Try pasting this line of code in a HTML page:

>If it doesn't fire up, you may have to configure your default newsreader. (IE6 for Windoze: tools,
>options, programs)
>
>--
> o o Chris Champion .\_-.\_-.o Vision R40 SWB ( ) () Double Vision R85
>

>>Nope you'll need to use the: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent format, but not every browser is
>>capable of displaying news groups, so for some it might not work.

--
Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

--------------050003040302090801080506 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff"> And Chris is right. His link brings you straight here.
type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">Respectfully to everyone,

Giolla is correct. As long as your browser can handle news URLs properly, you should be able to
click on a hypertext link specifying a news url and it should fire up your default news reader. In
my case, I clicked on Giolla's message (quoted below), and it fired up my Outlook News client
(Outlook Express 6 for Windoze).

Try pasting this line of code in a HTML page:

href="news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent">"news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent"</a>>Recumbent
Newsgroup</a>

If it doesn't fire up, you may have to configure your default newsreader. (IE6 for Windoze: tools,
options, programs)

--
o o Chris Champion .\_-.\_-.o Vision R40 SWB ( ) () Double Vision R85

class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent">news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent</a> format, but not every