This one went clunk, grind, judder to a stop.

Martin Dann

Guest
On the way home from work, takeing a long route, I got to a hill and
stopped due to some traffic lights. As I pulled away I changed down, to
the sound of some very crunchy noises from the back of my bike. I found
that the rear derailuer hanger had snapped. As it was 17:00 I rushed to
the LBS and bought a new hanger.

I have fitted the new one, reinstalled the chain and wheel, however I
find that the wheel has a bent spoke, and is out of true at that point.
The spoke is also a lot looser than any other spokes on the drive side
Is this wheel safe to cycle on, or should I replace it with the rear
wheel from my other bike (same size, number of gears etc.)
I would be unable to replace a spoke tonight.

Martin.

In article <[email protected]>,
Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

|> I have fitted the new one, reinstalled the chain and wheel, however I
|> find that the wheel has a bent spoke, and is out of true at that point.
|> The spoke is also a lot looser than any other spokes on the drive side
|> Is this wheel safe to cycle on, or should I replace it with the rear
|> wheel from my other bike (same size, number of gears etc.)
|> I would be unable to replace a spoke tonight.

It depends entirely on the weight of rim, weight of rider and how
bad the road is. At one extreme, you could ride Westwood rims with
half-a-dozen spokes missing if they weren't all together. But some
super-lightweight ones might crumple the first time you hit a
bump if you did that.

Sorry, but ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Martin Dann wrote on 02/05/2007 23:05 +0100:

> I have fitted the new one, reinstalled the chain and wheel, however I
> find that the wheel has a bent spoke, and is out of true at that point.
> The spoke is also a lot looser than any other spokes on the drive side
> Is this wheel safe to cycle on, or should I replace it with the rear
> wheel from my other bike (same size, number of gears etc.)
> I would be unable to replace a spoke tonight.
>
> Martin.

If its just one spoke on a normal (32+ spoke wheel) it should be fine
for a short time till you can get it fixed. Just check the other spokes
though to make sure it wasn't the derailleur going into the spokes and
damaging them first.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Martin Dann wrote:
> however I
> find that the wheel has a bent spoke, and is out of true at that point.
> The spoke is also a lot looser than any other spokes on the drive side
> Is this wheel safe to cycle on, or should I replace it with the rear
> wheel from my other bike (same size, number of gears etc.)
> I would be unable to replace a spoke tonight.
>
> Martin.

You've got a spare wheel, but swapping it to much trouble?

btw if it a steel spoke with a bend in the middle it should be ok to
leave it. But the wheel obviously needs truing
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Martin Dann wrote:

Do I detect a passing reference to St. Custards?

BugBear

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Martin Dann wrote on 02/05/2007 23:05 +0100:
>>
>> I have fitted the new one, reinstalled the chain and wheel, however I
>> find that the wheel has a bent spoke, and is out of true at that point.
>> The spoke is also a lot looser than any other spokes on the drive side
>> Is this wheel safe to cycle on, or should I replace it with the rear
>> wheel from my other bike (same size, number of gears etc.)
>> I would be unable to replace a spoke tonight.
>>
>> Martin.

> If its just one spoke on a normal (32+ spoke wheel) it should be fine
> for a short time till you can get it fixed. Just check the other spokes
> though to make sure it wasn't the derailleur going into the spokes and
> damaging them first.

Also check the derailleur cage isn't bent, and check that the low limit
screw is correctly adjusted so it doesn't happen again.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

On May 2, 11:24 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just check the other spokes though to make sure it wasn't the
> derailleur going into the spokes and damaging them first.

Certainly sounds like that's what happened, doesn't it?

--
Dave...

M-gineering wrote:
> Martin Dann wrote:
>> however I find that the wheel has a bent spoke, and is out of true at
>> that point.
>> The spoke is also a lot looser than any other spokes on the drive side
>> Is this wheel safe to cycle on, or should I replace it with the rear
>> wheel from my other bike (same size, number of gears etc.)
>> I would be unable to replace a spoke tonight.
>>
>> Martin.

> You've got a spare wheel, but swapping it to much trouble?

The wheel is from my other bike, which is in pieces at the moment.
However I did swop it when I got in from work tonight.

> btw if it a steel spoke with a bend in the middle it should be ok to
> leave it. But the wheel obviously needs truing

I am going to replace the spoke, and check the rim and hub for damage.

For the other replies, I have check the derailleur, do other spokes seem
damaged, the lower limit screw is OK etc.

Martin.

In article <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
[email protected] says...
> M-gineering wrote:
> > Martin Dann wrote:
> >> however I find that the wheel has a bent spoke, and is out of true at
> >> that point.
> >> The spoke is also a lot looser than any other spokes on the drive side
> >> Is this wheel safe to cycle on, or should I replace it with the rear
> >> wheel from my other bike (same size, number of gears etc.)
> >> I would be unable to replace a spoke tonight.
> >>
> >> Martin.

> > You've got a spare wheel, but swapping it to much trouble?

> The wheel is from my other bike, which is in pieces at the moment.
> However I did swop it when I got in from work tonight.
>
> > btw if it a steel spoke with a bend in the middle it should be ok to
> > leave it. But the wheel obviously needs truing

> I am going to replace the spoke, and check the rim and hub for damage.

I'd be inclined to slacken all the spokes to check if the rim is warped
but being held straight(ish) by spoke tension - if it is then it may
caause problems in the future because of uneven spoke tension.