this really sucks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....

    penny

    Tags:

  2. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    > out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    > that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    > this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....

    Ahhh, I think I know what plan B is. Hopefully it won't go that far. G'luck, Penny.

  3. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    mojo deluxe wrote:
    > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    >> painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know
    >> I"m out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell
    >> me that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait.
    >> If this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >>
    > Ahhh, I think I know what plan B is. Hopefully it won't go that far. G'luck, Penny.

    Lithotrypsy. Trippy, indeed.

    Bill "4 stones; 2 procedures" S.

  4. Gp-Tj

    Gp-Tj Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    > out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    > that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    > this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >
    > penny

    Kidney stones are a pain. I had 5 at one time (3 in one side and 2 in the other). Out of the blue, I
    was in so much pain that I was nauseous. They went in and took one out, that smarted also. One side
    was blocked already so they took it out. They were worried about my kidneys backing up because both
    were involved. They put stints in so that they wouldn't block the ureter. They then scheduled me for
    lithotripsy which is a sonic blast to break them up. The stints came out as they did each side
    separately with a few weeks between each.

    Funny part is the first time was the worst. I've passed about 10 since and the pain was minimal. I
    had the lithotripsy done again on either side once but no stints. I think the body adapts and it
    isn't so bad. Now I know they're coming and I drink lots of water to pass them. My urologist got
    really disturbed when I went back for the 4th lithotripsy. He thought I was intentionally not
    drinking enough water and flipped.

    They analyzed the one they went and took out. It was calcium oxylate. Remedy = drink lots of water
    and watch out for foods high in oxylate. They did other tests also and nothing was found. They test
    your parathyroid hormone.

    I'm sure your urologist will keep you informed of what's going on. It is pretty basic stuff for
    them. I always get nervous filling out insurance forms when they ask about renal problems. I don't
    know if this is a problem or not

  5. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    GP-TJ wrote:
    > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    >> painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know
    >> I"m out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell
    >> me that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait.
    >> If this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >>
    >> penny
    >>

    > Kidney stones are a pain. I had 5 at one time (3 in one side and 2 in the other). Out of the blue,
    > I was in so much pain that I was nauseous. They went in and took one out, that smarted also. One
    > side was blocked already so they took it out. They were worried about my kidneys backing up
    > because both were involved. They put stints in so that they wouldn't block the ureter. They then
    > scheduled me for lithotripsy which is a sonic blast to break them up. The stints came out as they
    > did each side separately with a few weeks between each.
    >
    > Funny part is the first time was the worst. I've passed about 10 since and the pain was minimal. I
    > had the lithotripsy done again on either side once but no stints. I think the body adapts and it
    > isn't so bad. Now I know they're coming and I drink lots of water to pass them. My urologist got
    > really disturbed when I went back for the 4th lithotripsy. He thought I was intentionally not
    > drinking enough water and flipped.
    >
    > They analyzed the one they went and took out. It was calcium oxylate. Remedy = drink lots of water
    > and watch out for foods high in oxylate. They did other tests also and nothing was found. They
    > test your parathyroid hormone.
    >
    > I'm sure your urologist will keep you informed of what's going on. It is pretty basic stuff for
    > them. I always get nervous filling out insurance forms when they ask about renal problems. I don't
    > know if this is a problem or not

    Very similar to my history, although I had the added complication of my body not absorbing calcium
    sufficiently, resulting in low bone density (lots of stress fractures, broken teeth, etc.). Took
    Fosamax to get density back to normal (amazing I never broke any bones during exceptionally steep
    learning curve mt. biking!); still take potassium citrate and HCTZ to keep kidneys flushed out
    (calcium was collecting there, forming stones).

    "Passing" a kidney stone isn't what's painful; it's when it MOVES through the kidney and uretor that
    hurts (those babies are *jagged and sharp*!!!). By the time it reaches the urethra (if it doesn't
    get stuck first), it just washes out with the urine (thus the filters to try and verify its exit).

    Sorry to hear you're going through it, Penny -- just hope it "goes through YOU" ASAP! :)

    Bill "straining to pee thru a strainer sucks" S.

  6. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > mojo deluxe wrote:
    > > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > >> painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know
    > >> I"m out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to
    > >> tell me that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't
    > >> wait. If this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    > >>
    > > Ahhh, I think I know what plan B is. Hopefully it won't go that far. G'luck, Penny.
    >
    > Lithotrypsy. Trippy, indeed.

    That's it, but could not remember the name.

    > Bill "4 stones; 2 procedures" S.

    So far so good. *knocks wood*

  7. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    Yikers Pensters

    Sounds like a whole lot of not a fun.

    Pretty soon, all of us around here are going to get very old....hehe.

    Lot of powder has fallen in the last few hours. I got some new body armor from www.rockgardn.com.

    I got the jacket and the shorts. I have injured a few ribs as of late hitting the gap jumps on the
    bike at Buttermilk. I have been getting some pretty good air (20-30 feet!). Enough to hit the
    transitions anyway and get the cheers from the boarders and skiiers.

    The wrecks are hard on my old body though, but at least I am not on the operating table only to be
    left with 3" open wounds next to my asshole!!!! Yikes. I will not leave you with that.. ohhh no!

    The Foes is so cool on the snow, and I am getting better and better. The sensation of being off the
    seat... carving through the powder with handlebars in my hand, AlpineStar boots on. I look like an
    idiot. I like to say that the percieved idiocy ends when I hit the gap without catching the rear
    ski, slide the three picnic tables, and land with a SLAP on the icy run-out.

    I have been riding the X-Games pipe as much as it is open, and I am there. Many people that
    know me say that I will never get air in the pipe. I know this is jelousy. They don't want me
    to get air, but they know I will....hehe. I will get air this year... I will do it if I have to
    huck it up there.

    Anyone can get air in the pipe on anything, but I want to do it right....

    hehe... sure.. I am just scared. They don't know that though. They just think I am really
    getting into the curve of the pipe.. Darsh style... so I can do it right. I hope I do it right
    the first time.

    Tomorrow will be a day off the seat. I get off the seat and pop the rear of the bike where I want in
    powder. I imagine it to be like riding a bull in a rodeo. As you pop in and out of turns, you sort
    of rodeo it. That is what I call it anyway. Sometimes I find myself wanting to lift a hand off the
    bars, over my head, slashing through the snow and the bumps.

    Tomorrow the woods will be awesome. Heavy snow in the trees, and a nice path of singletrack so to
    speak. Buttermilk has a lot of woods runs that are just perfect for a skibike. I am so happy I
    picked up skibiking without foot skis. It really makes you concentrate on what you are doing. Going
    through the woods whooping over the whoops and lifting the front end. It is a lot like
    mountainbiking at that point.

    The thrill involved in just hitting it. There is no stopping. No brakes. The trail is lined in
    trees. There is no twisting the bike to the side for a fast stop. There is no slowing for a near
    tree miss. The trees just come as you go. You have to negociate them, or crash into them. Catch an
    edge, and you are doomed to a solid growing structure. There is no room to slow down, or check a
    trail. You just have to go, and turn with the trial.

    Sounds familiar I know. That is what mountainbiking is.. the flow. the ride.. the trees.. that is
    what skibiking without skis takes. It takes the flow from the get go. If you don't have the flow
    from the get go, you are meat. I have been out of control in the woods. I smashed into a wooden wall
    100 feet after I was out of it. The Azonic body armor saved me from certain paralysis. I know that.

    You will be OK. I know that about you. Figure it out. If you are stone prone, handle it. If you are
    not stone prone, make sure you handle it. You are about a lot of strength.

    I hope I at least made you laugh once! : )

    darsh

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    > out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    > that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    > this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >
    > penny

  8. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Penny S <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    > out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    > that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    > this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >
    > penny

    Sorry to hear of your predicament, Penny. My wife went through a similar bout a few years ago. I was
    out of town and she was home with two kids when they hit. I wasn't high on her favorites list at
    that point. Luckily her folks lived nearby. I know it ain't pretty. I'm just coming off the vicodan
    daze myself after my shoulder surgery. I can't stand being in that state for more than a few days,
    but if beats the alternative.

    Good luck....and go easy on those chickflicks, they'll turn your brain to mush.

    Tom

  9. *

    * Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    > out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    > that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    > this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >
    > penny

    Cry me a river.

  10. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    * wrote:
    > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    >> painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know
    >> I"m out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell
    >> me that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait.
    >> If this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....

    > Cry me a river.

    Better she should pee you one.

    Bill "replying to Ass Terrisk" S.

  11. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Penny S wrote:
    > The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    > out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    > that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    > this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >
    > penny

    I remember my best friends mom waking us up at about 2:30am, screaming. Next to a peacock scream, it
    was the loudest sound I ever heard.

    Hope yours isn't so traumatic.

    Are these things hereditary or diet?
    --
    Slacker

  12. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Darsh wrote:

    > The Foes is so cool on the snow, and I am getting better and better. The sensation of being off
    > the seat... carving through the powder with handlebars in my hand, AlpineStar boots on. I look
    > like an idiot. I like to say that the percieved idiocy ends when I hit the gap without catching
    > the rear ski, slide the three picnic tables, and land with a SLAP on the icy run-out.
    >
    > The thrill involved in just hitting it. There is no stopping. No brakes. The trail is lined in
    > trees. There is no twisting the bike to the side for a fast stop. There is no slowing for a near
    > tree miss. The trees just come as you go. You have to negociate them, or crash into them. Catch an
    > edge, and you are doomed to a solid growing structure. There is no room to slow down, or check a
    > trail. You just have to go, and turn with the trial.
    >
    > darsh

    Good to hear you're still tearing it up!
    --
    Slacker

  13. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:06:39 -0800, "Penny S"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    > out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    > that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    > this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >
    >penny

    get well soon, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
    the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  14. On 2004-02-29, Penny S penned:
    > The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    > painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know
    > I"m out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell
    > me that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait.
    > If this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....

    Poor penny =/

    I hope they find their way out soon.

    --
    monique

  15. On 2004-02-29, GP-TJ penned:

    > They analyzed the one they went and took out. It was calcium oxylate. Remedy = drink lots of water
    > and watch out for foods high in oxylate. They did other tests also and nothing was found. They
    > test your parathyroid hormone.

    What on earth is oxylate? I've never seen it on a label ...

    > I'm sure your urologist will keep you informed of what's going on. It is pretty basic stuff for
    > them. I always get nervous filling out insurance forms when they ask about renal problems. I don't
    > know if this is a problem or not

    Why would insurance have issues with this?

    --
    monique

  16. On 2004-02-29, Slacker penned:
    > Penny S wrote:
    >> The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    >> painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know
    >> I"m out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell
    >> me that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait.
    >> If this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >>
    >> penny
    >

    > I remember my best friends mom waking us up at about 2:30am, screaming. Next to a peacock scream,
    > it was the loudest sound I ever heard.
    >
    > Hope yours isn't so traumatic.
    >
    > Are these things hereditary or diet? -- Slacker

    According to this site

    http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/index.htm

    They can be influenced by heredity or diet, but sometimes doctors don't even know what caused 'em.
    Some people are more prone than others.

    --
    monique

  17. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Slacker stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :
    > Penny S wrote:
    >> The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    >> painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know
    >> I"m out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell
    >> me that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait.
    >> If this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....
    >>
    >> penny
    >

    > I remember my best friends mom waking us up at about 2:30am, screaming. Next to a peacock scream,
    > it was the loudest sound I ever heard.
    >
    > Hope yours isn't so traumatic.

    I'm sure it would be but for the vioxx + vicodon.

    > Are these things hereditary or diet?

    remains to be seen after they test it, no family history.

    p.

  18. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Monique Y. Herman wrote:
    > On 2004-02-29, GP-TJ penned:
    >
    >>They analyzed the one they went and took out. It was calcium oxylate. Remedy = drink lots of water
    >>and watch out for foods high in oxylate. They did other tests also and nothing was found. They
    >>test your parathyroid hormone.
    >

    > What on earth is oxylate? I've never seen it on a label ...
    >

    >>I'm sure your urologist will keep you informed of what's going on. It is pretty basic stuff for
    >>them. I always get nervous filling out insurance forms when they ask about renal problems. I don't
    >>know if this is a problem or not
    >

    > Why would insurance have issues with this?

    Pre-existing medical condition...

    Kathleen

  19. Tj

    Tj Guest

    > Lithotrypsy. Trippy, indeed.
    >
    > Bill "4 stones; 2 procedures" S.

    Shouldn't it be

    Bill " 4 Stones, 2 Procedures, Shoulda drank more water" S.

    He he he.

    TJ

  20. "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | The only reason I'm feeling no pain is vicodan + vioxx. I've been on a steady diet of DVD's and
    | painkillers for the last few days, interespersed with occasional 'net and tv surfing. You know I"m
    | out of it if chickflicks are the preferred format. It's really sweet of the urologist to tell me
    | that kidney stones are one of the most painful things known to modern medicine, I can't wait. If
    | this thing hasn't gonethrough by Sunday night, on to plan B....

    Gah! I live with a constant dread of getting these with my heavily proteined diet and my addiction
    to Sun Drop.

    A local radio personality ended up having surgery for a stone. He is convinced doing Atkins did it
    to him, as the only other stone he ever had was when he did the diet before.

    I personally don't diet, I just like meat.

    ---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. The Nelson Paradigm
    =^o.o^= http://intergalax.com

    "Aha! Advancing on me only brings you closer to the cold wrath that is my spork!" - Bucky the Katt
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.598 / Virus Database: 380 -
    Release Date: 2/28/2004