This sport is finished

Well you know what that means...

Chances of UCI testing Basso and finding him positive for dope = Z-E-R-O

That's a f#$ken joke.

On one hand they'll crucify one rider and do their utmost to have them never ride again and on the other hand (for the same offence) bring him into the fold with open arms to become a spokesman for them.

Laughable. The UCI must go, it's getting more ridiculous every day.

Trev_S said:
That's a f#$ken joke.

On one hand they'll crucify one rider and do their utmost to have them never ride again and on the other hand (for the same offence) bring him into the fold with open arms to become a spokesman for them.

Laughable. The UCI must go, it's getting more ridiculous every day.
Reminds me of when Lance was donating the UCI money to buy blood testing equipment.

Basso has one particular area of expertise though - he can help with the riders who are planning on doping. Once they've actually doped he is no use as he didn't actually dope himself, just planned it.

With the way the Giro is shaping up to be a battle of the blood bags I can't see how the sport has moved on any since the inital days of Puerto.

Rolfrae said:
Basso has one particular area of expertise though - he can help with the riders who are planning on doping. Once they've actually doped he is no use as he didn't actually dope himself, just planned it.

You're right. The biggest problem is not doping itself by riders who are planning to dope and don't dope. Sounds like the Liquigas deal along with this was done partnership. ie Liquigas tell the UCI we are going to sign Basso no matter what so do you want to look good from this or not ?

Its so funny the UCI bypass there own rules on some riders and make Basso a spokesperson to get around the 4 year ProTour ruling and also they reward anyone who admits to doping but doesn't life the lid on what really goes on.

whiteboytrash said:
You're right. The biggest problem is not doping itself by riders who are planning to dope and don't dope. Sounds like the Liquigas deal along with this was done partnership. ie Liquigas tell the UCI we are going to sign Basso no matter what so do you want to look good from this or not ?

Its so funny the UCI bypass there own rules on some riders and make Basso a spokesperson to get around the 4 year ProTour ruling and also they reward anyone who admits to doping but doesn't life the lid on what really goes on.
Yeah, this is just PR ********. Why wasn't Jorge Jaksche given this role, since he actually got further than "planning" to dope, told all the gory details and should therefore have more expertise?

I know, why don't we save all this bother and fuss and money with the testing malarkey and make Doctor Fuentes the head of anti-doping at the UCI?

whiteboytrash said:

Plus ensure that riders who blow the whistle incriminating others are pushed out of the sport. I don't understand why anyone (sports organizations that is) is still backing the UCI. They are clearly an entity that follows "The new rule is that there are no rules".

TheDarkLord said:
Plus ensure that riders who blow the whistle incriminating others are pushed out of the sport. I don't understand why anyone (sports organizations that is) is still backing the UCI. They are clearly an entity that follows "The new rule is that there are no rules".
The UCI is like Disney, just creating the illusion to paint over the real facts of cycling. As long as it looks on the surface like all is well and they use the passport to make sure that nobody unexpectedly tests positive all is well - even if the rotten core of a fake sport still dominates.

Rolfrae said:
The UCI is like Disney, just creating the illusion to paint over the real facts of cycling. As long as it looks on the surface like all is well and they use the passport to make sure that nobody unexpectedly tests positive all is well - even if the rotten core of a fake sport still dominates.
Then, fire McQuaid and hire someone who can at least be subtle about it. Right now, they are announcing that this is their policy through loudspeakers...

TheDarkLord said:
Then, fire McQuaid and hire someone who can at least be subtle about it. Right now, they are announcing that this is their policy through loudspeakers...
How about David Blaine master illusionist as new boss at the UCI?

Rolfrae said:
Yeah, this is just PR ********. Why wasn't Jorge Jaksche given this role, since he actually got further than "planning" to dope, told all the gory details and should therefore have more expertise?

I know, why don't we save all this bother and fuss and money with the testing malarkey and make Doctor Fuentes the head of anti-doping at the UCI?

Jesus Manzano was/is treated like a pyrrhia.

The UCI's double standards just get worse.
Playing a blinder, Pat.

limerickman said:
Jesus Manzano was/is treated like a pyrrhia.

The UCI's double standards just get worse.
Playing a blinder, Pat.
Cycling was in a hole. What's the UCI's answer? Did a deeper hole and jump into it.

One thing is clear: FLandis needs to brush up on his Italian. The UCI has completely abandoned even the illusion of trying to stop doping. The ProTour is dead. How can the UCI complain about a ProTour team hiring FLandis when the UCI is backing Basso? The ASO may not want FLandis at the TdF, but there is nothing stoping him from racing the Giro. Basso will be at next year's race, and the RSA doesn't mind if Bruyneel's gaggle of dopers is there, even if none of them are Italian. FLandis needs to start feeling out teams that can get an invite to the Giro.

I think this is perhaps one of the things that really bugs me, the sheer inconsistencie of the treatment of the athletes. I mean Basso, caught red handed, gets away with pretending that he only tried to dope and then is made spokesman on anti-doping. David Millar dopes, makes a full confession (eventually) and then is welcomed back. Jaksche dopes, makes a full confession, then is shunned by everyone. Contador and Valverde are clearly implicated in Puerto but are allowed to continue racing.

I mean, what the hell. You can't really make any sense of that.

Bout time the UCI cracked down on all the anti doping going on. I'm sure Basso will get in there and "attempt" to do something:rolleyes:
Make Contador the deputy spokesman, that'll seal things up a bit.

Bikelux said:
Bout time the UCI cracked down on all the anti doping going on. I'm sure Basso will get in there and "attempt" to do something:rolleyes:
Make Contador the deputy spokesman, that'll seal things up a bit.
Given that McQuaid has said that he is willing to go to court to defend Contador, that may not be too far off the horizon.

So what. We all knew McQuaid and the UCI were retarded. It's just another nail in the coffin of the ProTour. The sport will survive, Pat won't.