This sport is finished

Bro Deal said:
One thing is clear: FLandis needs to brush up on his Italian. The UCI has completely abandoned even the illusion of trying to stop doping. The ProTour is dead. How can the UCI complain about a ProTour team hiring FLandis when the UCI is backing Basso? The ASO may not want FLandis at the TdF, but there is nothing stoping him from racing the Giro. Basso will be at next year's race, and the RSA doesn't mind if Bruyneel's gaggle of dopers is there, even if none of them are Italian. FLandis needs to start feeling out teams that can get an invite to the Giro.

Nah you see you have to admit to doping and say sorry but also state you acted alone.... Basso got it right & so did Miller. Landis & Tyler didn't admit guilt so they can't come back. However never admit to everything like the Sink & JJ just say that you were on your own then you can come back. You see you have to say sorry to Daddy or he won't let you play.

The sport that once existed is finished, but we just need to sit back and enjoy this new entertainment. Some additional proposals for cycling:

1. All riders have to trash talk prior to the race
2. They must compete for each other's girlfriends
3. Trophys now must come in the form of an enormous belt with a big gold badge
4. It's televised on Spike TV. The TV sponsor must be limited to "Girls Gone Wild" commercials
5. All racers must have a pseudonym. For instance Lance "The Uniballer" Armstrong. Cadel "I'm a wheelsucking *****" Evans, etc...

There seems to be a few possible/likely factors IMHO affecting the UCI acting above board, and being honest and straight about the doping issue.

1. They fear that the truth will kill the sport
2. They fear that the truth will open Pandora's box and that their past/present malfeasance/corruption will be exposed
3. They lose their influence over the peloton if everyone is treated fairly and there is no opportunity to corruptly influence testing and treatment of guilty cyclists
4. They like being the Lord of the Omerta
5. They are a bunch of liars/cheats who employ and promote people that are like them and that they trust will not blow the whistle.

Eldrack said:
I think this is perhaps one of the things that really bugs me, the sheer inconsistencie of the treatment of the athletes. I mean Basso, caught red handed, gets away with pretending that he only tried to dope and then is made spokesman on anti-doping. David Millar dopes, makes a full confession (eventually) and then is welcomed back. Jaksche dopes, makes a full confession, then is shunned by everyone. Contador and Valverde are clearly implicated in Puerto but are allowed to continue racing.

I mean, what the hell. You can't really make any sense of that.
Exactly.

This has to be one of the crazier things I've heard in awhile. Yet another fine example of the blatant politics going on within the sport.

So far I cannot find this story at any news site other than the Eurosport link at the beginning of this thread. The story is so absurd that it seems like an April Fools joke. I'm beginning to doubt it's even true.

huboon said:
So far I cannot find this story at any news site other than the Eurosport link at the beginning of this thread. The story is so absurd that it seems like an April Fools joke. I'm beginning to doubt it's even true.
I cannot imagine who else would be a better anti-doping spokeswoman for the UCI than Basso. What a pretty girl she is......OH.......wrong Basso.......THAT Basso???!!! WTF are they thinking?

Bikelux said:
Bout time the UCI cracked down on all the anti doping going on. I'm sure Basso will get in there and "attempt" to do something:rolleyes:
Make Contador the deputy spokesman, that'll seal things up a bit.
And they should take Valverde with them and go for a tour around the world to promote clean cycling. For old times sake, why not add Ullrich and Bjarne Riis. They could have a stand at every major race where they hand out leaflets on anti-doping work.

RdBiker said:
Millar is speaking out:
http://www.velonews.com/article/76019/david-millar-says-ivan-basso-is-neither-a-hero-nor-a-victim

I don't exactly think that Millar is 100% clean but he is a better model than Basso. Well, anyone is :rolleyes:
In my opinion the best role model would be a rider who we can be 100% certain he hasn't doped. But that is almost impossible.

Charming ! David "I only admit to doping when I have the baton of a French Policeman in my ****" Miller has a good point. Although he took his time to admit to doping at least he gave up a few titles & medals in his admission. Basso really has to give back the 2006 Giro before he can be belived by anyone.

whiteboytrash said:
Charming ! David "I only admit to doping when I have the baton of a French Policeman in my ****" Miller has a good point. Although he took his time to admit to doping at least he gave up a few titles & medals in his admission. Basso really has to give back the 2006 Giro before he can be belived by anyone.
Millar also only admitted doping on about 3 occasions, or was it only twice.

Utter ********.

He never came clean.

Crankyfeet said:
Well you know what that means...

Chances of UCI testing Basso and finding him positive for dope = Z-E-R-O
Basso will win a ton of races...as long as he doesn't get caught at the border.