This time they really mean business, they’ve hired a “consultant”!!!!

Fausto Coppied

Aug 17, 2006
Oh God…,here we go again.

This time they really mean business, they’ve hired a “consultant”!!!! (see below)

The Canadian Cycling Association (CCA) wants to improve its marketing and branding!!! Remember this is the same organization that walked away from a $15 million (fifteen million dollar) investment in the sport in 2003 WITHOUT ONE NEW SPONSOR!!!!!

Asked about it at the time the former president of the CCA and still a Director-at Large Bill Kinash said he didn’t think at the time it was important to have a marketing director in place for the 2003 Worlds. He left the position empty for 18 months. Sheer stupidity.

The Canadian Cycling Association’s list of sponsors is pathetic and laughable, they have had the same two, and only two, for a decade: Louis Garneau and Tim Horton’s, both give a pittance to the sport. Their contribution is so small and pathetic neither the CCA nor TH or LG will admit to it. The national championships are the CCA’s most important events and I think they have $250,000 or less to run all four of them. They should have at least that to run EACH one. Garneau's contribution is so small that some athletes going the World Championships in some cycling disciplines and age groups have to buy their own, ask Hall of Fame cycling star Gord Singleton when he went to the UK not too long ago.

Things are unlikely to get any better under current CEO Greg Mathieu, that guy was at the wrestling association for 15 years or so, and in a sport he knew, and their sponsorship was even weaker than that of the CCA.

Listen to what Mathieu had to say, ““It will be imperative for the organization to leverage the momentum generated by these prestigious events and parlay them into new relationships and opportunities for the CCA,” said Greg Mathieu,

Leverage these prestigious events? All four!!!??? Does Mathieu realize there used to 20 or more prestigious events in all disciplines of the sport? Does he have any clue what he is talking about?

As for this guy Cosentino, when you get a comment like, ““Cycling is a part of the fabric from which this country is woven (stolen directly for Heritage Canada*). Learning to ride a bike is a landmark moment in nearly every Canadian’s life”, you can immediately realize he understand nothing about the sport. And has little to say about it. His marketing contribution will probably be bells for kids bikes while they learn to use hands signal.

The CAA is doomed to failure because it is committed to hiring people who know nothing about the sport.

They keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Mr. Cosentino, what does this mean, “the CCA has strong value-based programs for consumers and potential sponsors that will get refreshed and relaunched.” Can you walk into a crowd board room and seriously deliver that lien without a laugh???

“Relaunched”? Do you even know when it was “launched for a first time or how that was done”?

DEC spots seems very important, “their” web site (DEC Sports & Entertainment Marketing ) consists of one page! Yup, this guy is marketing whiz!!!!

You can’t make this stuff up…..

Good luck fellas……

Best regards,
Ed Arzouian
607-343-1859

info_pin.gif

A fabric is woven of many threads. Those of us who speak English and those of us who speak French—ourselves made up of many different elements—have joined together to weave a social fabric called Canada. The golden fabric at the centre symbolizes the meeting place of our two linguistic communities and the richness of the dialogue between them.

06.17.10 - CCA commits to Business Development, new Marketing and Branding platforms
The Canadian Cycling Association (CCA) announced Thursday its further commitment to building the Business Development Program to match the already strengthened High Performance Program within the National Sport Organisation (sic).

The CCA has hired DEC Sports & Entertainment’s Peter Cosentino to design and implement a plan that will enhance the CCA brand, Communications and Value Offerings to potential partners as the 2012 Games in London, England edge closer.

“There is tremendous upside within the CCA Properties tool kit,” says Cosentino from his Toronto office “Cycling is a part of the fabric from which this country is woven. Learning to ride a bike is a landmark moment in nearly every Canadian’s life. From grassroots to high performance programs, the CCA has strong value-based programs for consumers and potential sponsors that will get refreshed and relaunched.
Sponsors of Canada’s National Cycling Teams will receive opportunities that will make the most out of driving a strong return on investment. National broadcasts and webcasts for major events will be negotiated to provide a blanket of strong national media impressions, combined with experiential marketing programs that will provide meaningful promotional fulfillment as well as VIP Hospitality.

Another focus of the Business Development plan will be to enhance the brand image across the country, based on four key strategies: Building stars; National pride; Be cutting edge; and Create memories. These marketing strategies will provide the platform around which all marketing programs will be based.
In an effort to enhance the communications and media relations, Guy Napert-Frenette of PerformancePR has joined the Business Development team to build a media protocol for athletes, ensure the media are well informed and athletes are prepared for pre and post race media opportunities.

Canada plays host to four major events in the 2010 calendar year: Two UCI Pro Tour one day road race events in Quebec City and Montréal, the 2010 UCI Mountain Bike and Trial World Championships in Mont- Sainte-Anne, QC, and the 2010 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships in Baie-Comeau, QC.
“It will be imperative for the organization to leverage the momentum generated by these prestigious events and parlay them into new relationships and opportunities for the CCA,” said Greg Mathieu, Chief Executive Officer and Secretary General of the Canadian Cycling Association. “The key for us is to creatively develop marketing initiatives for our partners around current and new CCA programs so the organization can continue to grow and meet the ever expanding financial requirements.

Peter Cosentino responds, sort of..., he still cannot tell us if he had ever been to a bike race prior to being hired, so I doubt he had been:

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:03 PM

Subject: Re: OH BOY! Now they mean business.., really, no, I'm serious....

Thanks for shooting first and asking questions later. Class act.

Looking forward to meeting you. Really.

Cheers,

Peter

On 10-06-23 9:42 AM:
Dear Mr. Cosentino,

In reference to your email above, no, problem.

I have 35 years in the sport, ran the best team in Canadian history, 200 or 300 pages of press clipping per year for five years or so, hours of TV coverage in all major Canadian markets. The team was a household name in Quebec right after the Canadiens and the Expos. We routinely raced for $10,000 to $20,000 per weekend IN CANADA!!! Airport custom guards used to wave us through when we return to Montreal from abroad. I’ve seen guys like you come and go for decades without doing a damn thing….

Tell me I’m wrong in 6, 12 or 18 months…

You think you will promote the governing body of competitive sport by saying learning to ride a bike is a landmark moment??? The Sprockids program is a total failure. Every grass root effort, like those espoused by Lister Farrar and others has failed. It has failed in soccer. The glory days of cycling came not when we had kiddy programs but big-time, downtown, pro road races. That inspires kids, not watching their dads and other grown men ride around a 5km square circling a corn field with minivans parked in ditches. That brings out sponsors and advertisers.

Do you think the NHL promotes the league by referring to when kids learn to skate??? No, they promote action, hard-hitting, speed and excitement.

Tell me in a nutshell what you know of competitive cycling.

Had you even been to a race prior to being hired?

You have a one-page web site. I conduct corporate research all the time. I go to your website, which should be all about marketing and I see something elementary school kids could do, without the least bit of information. I Google you and I get zip. I’m not inspired neither will potential sponsors or advertisers be interested.

But prove me wrong, I’d be happy for the sport if you did if you did.

Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: OH BOY! Now they mean business.., really, no, I'm serious....

Thanks for the second rant.

Instead of doing nothing we will be doing something. I trust that is ok with you.

As for my website, it is unfortunately down right now. That happens with websites from time to time. Hopefully the technical problems will be fixed shortly.

And yes, learning to ride a bike is a landmark moment in any child’s life – especially in Canada where winters are long and summers are cherished. I still remember my dad teaching me to ride a bike – I will never forget it. The millions of kids who do learn to ride have a chance to go into out funnel of talent identification for development teams and the national team. It is perhaps the single most important factor – if kids don’t learn to ride, we don’t have much from which to choose.

I am not a fly by night sports marketer. I have been in the business for many years. I was in marketing for the Blue Jays during the glory years and worked there for eleven years. I have also worked with Canada’s National Snowboard Team for seven years and we have managed to increase their budget by over 600% providing high performance athletes with the opportunity to focus on training, competing and winning.

Funny, I too Googled you and found quite a bit. I hope I am never as bitter as you, but I do hope we get a chance to meet some time soon.

Cheers ,

Peter

Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:31 AM
To: 'Peter Cosentino'
Subject: RE: OH BOY! Now they mean business.., really, no, I'm serious....

You didn’t answer the question, have you ever been to a cycling race?

Your “million kids” argument is bogus.

We have millions of kids playing soccer in Canada but the pro scene sucks and there is little sponsorship outside of Saputo in Montreal.

The “Golden Ages” of cycling in Canada were in the 1930s and the late 1980s-early 1990s, they had nothing to do with grassroots, that had everything to do with pro races and pro riders and big events.

The CCA had a $15 million dollar investment in the sport and had nothing to show for it thanks to their mismanagement and corruption. Grass roots Sprockids program for the most part have failed verywhere and especially in the Hamilton-Toronto area where after the worlds they managed to get about 20 kids in the program from a population of over 500,000 in the area.

I’ll give you a break, you know nothing about the sport or its history in Canada or anywhere else for that matter. Do your homework and you’ll learn.

As for your website it is not “down”. Your single home page comes up just fine. Welcome to niche

There are no other links or tabs to refer to, so don’t lie to about it.

(Note: after this last email changes were made to the DEC sports web site and they now have a few more pages....)