this weather is just killing my riding

izatt82

Mar 19, 2007
its like 33 here and 20 mph winds sucks i guess tommorow will be like 50 but still 20 mph steady winds gusts up to 40 man it just to rough for me man i ran in this **** for five years i just dont do it any more end up getting sick and what not

I made peace with the wind when I realized how much stronger it made me. Now I think of it as a training partner.

I was glad that I had once I started bike commuting. If I weren't willing to ride in the weather there have been many days that I wouldn't be able to go home.

izatt82 said:
its like 33 here and 20 mph winds sucks i guess tommorow will be like 50 but still 20 mph steady winds gusts up to 40 man it just to rough for me man i ran in this **** for five years i just dont do it any more end up getting sick and what not
Tell me about it...:mad: It's even colder up here, and snowed a couple of inches last night. How devastating is that when it was 75 degrees the other week.

Man, how I wish I could live farther south. No offense to those people but, you almost have to take that weather for granted if you live somewhere where it is warm year round.

Also is tough for training because I don't have an indoor trainer.:(

me either man me either it sucks and i live in a small town too so theres a gym but small

I got this week off, was plannin to ride all the time, now it's gonna snow all week, be freezing out, etc. It's so annoying:mad:

I'm in a temp job in Houston TX and it's 68 to 82 F these days. But I don't know of any real nice bike paths that can compare to Chicago's Lake Shore drive. Guess I'll just have to risk it biking in the streets.

I'd rather be in Chicago where it's colder because Chicago is an awesome bikeable city with great bike paths.

izatt82 said:

Haha.. it's unbelievable, central finland is warmer right now.

-bikeguy

izatt82 said:

I told myself I wasn't going to get all of that winter stuff out again until next year, but guess what I did it yesterday. It sucks. The wind has been blowing for four days here. The whole weather thing has to make a person nervous - you just don' t know, maybe summer will actually be more like winter someday. Oh well, get the stuff back out and shift to an easier gear and stop complaining.

I went out (just now) for a ride and came back real early .. it started snowing and there was a 40 km/hr wind. Perfectly normal weather for this place, and in general it has been a very warm winter.

-bikeguy

izatt82 said:
No kidding! It snowed last night, 31 degree's on the east coast. totally sucks!

Yeah, the weather here is miserable, too. This is what mornings have been like for a while now........

JTE83 said:
I'm in a temp job in Houston TX and it's 68 to 82 F these days. But I don't know of any real nice bike paths that can compare to Chicago's Lake Shore drive. Guess I'll just have to risk it biking in the streets.

I'd rather be in Chicago where it's colder because Chicago is an awesome bikeable city with great bike paths.
Chicago's lakeshore drive is a wonderful place to ride! Only a slight problem with the huge masses of people in the summer, but it's fun passing people up that are 20 yrs older than me, and on ridiculously expensive bikes (are you one of those people, hmmmm...), and having the feel like you're in a peloton.

Bikelyst said:
Chicago's lakeshore drive is a wonderful place to ride! Only a slight problem with the huge masses of people in the summer, but it's fun passing people up that are 20 yrs older than me, and on ridiculously expensive bikes (are you one of those people, hmmmm...), and having the feel like you're in a peloton.

What, exactly, is a ridiculously expensive bike? Is there some metric for what people are allowed to buy? Or is "ridiculously expensive" determined solely by what some other overly judgemental person thinks you should buy?

Come to Tucson. There are all kinds of people on "ridiculously expensive" bikes that ride ridiculously fast.

Again, I'm completely dumbfounded by people that think they've really won something or made a statement when they've passed a complete stranger on the road.

alienator said:
What, exactly, is a ridiculously expensive bike? Is there some metric for what people are allowed to buy? Or is "ridiculously expensive" determined solely by what some other overly judgemental person thinks you should buy?

Come to Tucson. There are all kinds of people on "ridiculously expensive" bikes that ride ridiculously fast.

Again, I'm completely dumbfounded by people that think they've really won something or made a statement when they've passed a complete stranger on the road.
Here we go again...

Sorry for the terminology, but when I say "ridiculously expensive" I mean anything above $3,000...that's just me, if you don't like it, deal with it dude. I might be overly judgemental...but is there a metric measurement for that as well? :confused:

I have been to Tuscon, 2 weeks ago to be exact. I saw plenty of cyclist, and they didn't seem to be going that fast...:rolleyes:

Dumbfounded, eh? Again....you cannot tell me that you don't feel some sense of victory when you pass someone on the road. Regardless of the fact that you think that it's some sort of absolute tragedy when people try to feel good about the fact that they just passed someone.

It's human nature....get used to it.

Bikelyst said:
Here we go again...

Sorry for the terminology, but when I say "ridiculously expensive" I mean anything above $3,000...that's just me, if you don't like it, deal with it dude. I might be overly judgemental...but is there a metric measurement for that as well? :confused:

Deal with your ignorance? I guess we have no choice. I guess it's always the small minded folks that think they have some inside knowledge that allows them to decide who should have what. Note that "small minded" applies to you here.

Bikelyst said:
I have been to Tuscon, 2 weeks ago to be exact. I saw plenty of cyclist, and they didn't seem to be going that fast...:rolleyes:

Given your 'tude, I'd be surprised if you were able to find anyone to ride with you.

Bikelyst said:
Dumbfounded, eh? Again....you cannot tell me that you don't feel some sense of victory when you pass someone on the road. Regardless of the fact that you think that it's some sort of absolute tragedy when people try to feel good about the fact that they just passed someone.

Actually, I don't. It's the people like you that think that there is some unspoken agreement to "race." And it's the real small minded turds that think they've really accomplished something based on what some other person was riding. I mean, how presumptuous and stupid can you get? Is it really an accomplishment to pass someone that has no interest in what you're doing? Is it really an accomplishment to pass someone of whom you know nothing about what they've done so far that day, what sort of training they might do?

Wow. You're life must really suck to get a feeling of accomplishment from such a worthless event, passing a total stranger on the road.

You must truly be a stud.

alienator said:
Deal with your ignorance? I guess we have no choice. I guess it's always the small minded folks that think they have some inside knowledge that allows them to decide who should have what. Note that "small minded" applies to you here.

Given your 'tude, I'd be surprised if you were able to find anyone to ride with you.

Actually, I don't. It's the people like you that think that there is some unspoken agreement to "race." And it's the real small minded turds that think they've really accomplished something based on what some other person was riding. I mean, how presumptuous and stupid can you get? Is it really an accomplishment to pass someone that has no interest in what you're doing? Is it really an accomplishment to pass someone of whom you know nothing about what they've done so far that day, what sort of training they might do?

Wow. You're life must really suck to get a feeling of accomplishment from such a worthless event, passing a total stranger on the road.

You must truly be a stud.
What the hell is your problem? Is it some sort of tragedy that I enjoy being competitive. I could care less about someones training intervals, schedule...is it a sin if I enjoy passing people? I honestly don't have an interest in what you think...

What ever happened to the quality of someones opinion? Is it terrible that I have opinions about someone's bike? However I would never dare go loathing about what I think someone should have...

That's what small minded folk do ;)

I am sick of wasting my time arguing about totally irrelavent arguments with people who are obviously expecting some arrogant reaction (although this post was kind of arrogant, mind you) Don't expect a reply back...

Bikelyst said:
What the hell is your problem? Is it some sort of tragedy that I enjoy being competitive. I could care less about someones training intervals, schedule...is it a sin if I enjoy passing people? I honestly don't have an interest in what you think...

What ever happened to the quality of someones opinion? Is it terrible that I have opinions about someone's bike? However I would never dare go loathing about what I think someone should have...

That's what small minded folk do ;)

I am sick of wasting my time arguing about totally irrelavent arguments with people who are obviously expecting some arrogant reaction (although this post was kind of arrogant, mind you) Don't expect a reply back...

See ya!

That's nice: one less **** going on about expensive bikes that others ride and getting off because they passed a stranger.

The vibe is already getting much better here.

Bikelyst said:
Didn't you mention you were a teenager in another post, dude? When you grow up and get a real job you might find that $3K just is not that much money. $10K is not much money, especially if you spend it on something you enjoy and spend a lot of time doing.

Some of us did that whole poor thing when we were in college. Now that we can afford what we always wanted, we're damn well going to spend the money.

Heck, I have more than $3K worth of Assos bibs. :D

man this kind of turned into a real rant oh well yeah i need to get me some winter stuff to ride in. but im doind the poor thing good ole college. so one of these days. got to pay the bills first.

Bikelyst said:
Here we go again...

$3,000 is actually about average for a bike these days. A decent bike that is if you plan to ride a lot. You kind of get what you pay for in the biking world, thats what I have found.