this will be the death of me yet

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Flutie, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Flutie

    Flutie Guest

    Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep the
    heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped by a
    car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid eoff the
    bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just upbove the
    elbow. So either my heart will kill me, or the bike riding to keep it healthy will...

    ...but I still enjoy riding.

    Tags:

  2. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Sorry to hear about your accident, but if you break your arm, it will heal, but if your heart goes,
    then it's all over. (The helmet people use a similar argument, substituting brain for heart).

    flutie wrote:

    > Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep
    > the heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped
    > by a car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid
    > eoff the bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just
    > upbove the elbow. So either my heart will kill me, or the bike riding to keep it healthy will...
    >
    > ...but I still enjoy riding.

  3. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    flutie <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep
    : the heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped
    : by a car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid
    : eoff the bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just
    : upbove the elbow. So either my heart will kill me, or the bike riding to keep it healthy will...

    : ...but I still enjoy riding.

    I feel for you. I broke my radius and unlna last year in a roadbike accident. You will heal, After
    about 3 months of misery. Luckily you can sue the crap out of the guy that hit you.

    Get better.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

  4. In article <[email protected]>, flutie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep
    >the heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped
    >by a car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid eoff
    >the bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just upbove
    >the elbow.

    I broke my ankle just walking home from work. What a waste of pain! At least you were doing
    something fun when it happened! :)

    Good luck putting yourself back together.

    --Paul

  5. One thing you need to know, especially if you ride in traffic, however distasteful this may sound,
    is HOW to fall off the bike. The correct way (as your arm sadly found out.

    I know there are classes on this, can anyody here recommend a book, video, or other source in
    case that is not an option (i realize reading a book is no substitute fior the "real thing", but
    it's a start)?

  6. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    You're not through with the driver of the car, right? IMHO, people only learn when the reward is
    either pleasure or pain, no middle ground. Make sure you're not out one dime when all the med care
    is over. You will have helped the driver of the car to lead a better life in the future, and perhaps
    save someone else's life. Maybe someone's child. -Doug

    "flutie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep
    > the heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped
    > by a car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid
    > eoff the bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just
    > upbove the elbow. So either my heart will kill me, or the bike riding to keep it healthy will...
    >
    > ...but I still enjoy riding.

  7. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    On the other hand...the driver should not be unreasonably punished. If the driver stopped to help,
    then they are better people than those who drive off, knowing that they'll be in it for big bucks if
    they accept responsibility.

    Our litigious culture actually encourages people not to own up when they make a mistake. Let's not
    make drivers any more afraid of us than we have to. We're rolling liabilities to them as it is. (Can
    you say "manslaughter?")

    -Barry

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You're not through with the driver of the car, right? IMHO, people only learn when the reward is
    > either pleasure or pain, no middle ground. Make sure you're not out one dime when all the med care
    > is over. You will have helped the driver of the car to lead a better life in the future, and
    > perhaps save someone else's life. Maybe someone's child. -Doug
    >
    > "flutie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep
    > > the heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was
    > > bumped by a car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to
    > > the sid eoff the bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the
    > > bone just upbove the elbow. So either my heart will kill me, or the bike riding to keep it
    > > healthy will...
    > >
    > > ...but I still enjoy riding.

  8. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On the other hand...the driver should not be unreasonably punished. If
    the
    > driver stopped to help, then they are better people than those who drive off, knowing that they'll
    > be in it for big bucks if they accept responsibility.
    >
    > Our litigious culture actually encourages people not to own up when they make a mistake. Let's not
    > make drivers any more afraid of us than we have to. We're rolling liabilities to them as it is.
    > (Can you say "manslaughter?")
    >
    > -Barry

    Yes, each situation should be judged individually. But I see no reason for the victim to have to pay
    any of his/her deductibles, whether for med care, or damage to the bike. And, there are people who
    really *are* too old to drive. They're not noticed until something nasty happens, and it's a good
    opportunity to get them off the road permanently.