this will be the death of me yet

Flutie

Guest
Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep the
heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped by a
car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid eoff the
bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just upbove the
elbow. So either my heart will kill me, or the bike riding to keep it healthy will...

...but I still enjoy riding.

Sorry to hear about your accident, but if you break your arm, it will heal, but if your heart goes,
then it's all over. (The helmet people use a similar argument, substituting brain for heart).

flutie <[email protected]> wrote:
: Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep
: the heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped
: by a car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid
: eoff the bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just
: upbove the elbow. So either my heart will kill me, or the bike riding to keep it healthy will...

: ...but I still enjoy riding.

I feel for you. I broke my radius and unlna last year in a roadbike accident. You will heal, After
about 3 months of misery. Luckily you can sue the **** out of the guy that hit you.

Get better.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

In article <[email protected]>, flutie <[email protected]> wrote:
>Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep
>the heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped
>by a car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid eoff
>the bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just upbove
>the elbow.

I broke my ankle just walking home from work. What a waste of pain! At least you were doing
something fun when it happened! :)

Good luck putting yourself back together.

--Paul

One thing you need to know, especially if you ride in traffic, however distasteful this may sound,
is HOW to fall off the bike. The correct way (as your arm sadly found out.

I know there are classes on this, can anyody here recommend a book, video, or other source in
case that is not an option (i realize reading a book is no substitute fior the "real thing", but
it's a start)?

You're not through with the driver of the car, right? IMHO, people only learn when the reward is
either pleasure or pain, no middle ground. Make sure you're not out one dime when all the med care
is over. You will have helped the driver of the car to lead a better life in the future, and perhaps
save someone else's life. Maybe someone's child. -Doug

"flutie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Had a heart attack last August. After 20 years of no exercise, I now ride the road racer to keep
> the heart pumping healthy now. A few weeks ago riding aon a quiet street, my rear tire was bumped
> by a car coming out of a driveway, my foot caught in the pedal clips, I went flying to the sid
> eoff the bike. My trust left arm went out to break my fall, and of course, broke the bone just
> upbove the elbow. So either my heart will kill me, or the bike riding to keep it healthy will...
>
> ...but I still enjoy riding.

On the other hand...the driver should not be unreasonably punished. If the driver stopped to help,
then they are better people than those who drive off, knowing that they'll be in it for big bucks if
they accept responsibility.

Our litigious culture actually encourages people not to own up when they make a mistake. Let's not
make drivers any more afraid of us than we have to. We're rolling liabilities to them as it is. (Can
you say "manslaughter?")

-Barry

news:[email protected]...

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Lgepa.568800$L1.166578@sccrnsc02...
> On the other hand...the driver should not be unreasonably punished. If
the
> driver stopped to help, then they are better people than those who drive off, knowing that they'll
> be in it for big bucks if they accept responsibility.
>
> Our litigious culture actually encourages people not to own up when they make a mistake. Let's not
> make drivers any more afraid of us than we have to. We're rolling liabilities to them as it is.
> (Can you say "manslaughter?")
>
> -Barry

Yes, each situation should be judged individually. But I see no reason for the victim to have to pay
any of his/her deductibles, whether for med care, or damage to the bike. And, there are people who
really *are* too old to drive. They're not noticed until something nasty happens, and it's a good
opportunity to get them off the road permanently.