This year's Vuelta: Worst GT route ever?

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
Okay, ever is a long time, but looking at this year's route it really looks like a pathetic route with limited opportunities for the GC contenders, especially in the second half. Combined with a lackluster field I find it hard to get excited about this year's race.

Bro Deal said:
Okay, ever is a long time, but looking at this year's route it really looks like a pathetic route with limited opportunities for the GC contenders, especially in the second half. Combined with a lackluster field I find it hard to get excited about this year's race.
100% right. This year the Vuelta route was idiotically put together where there's waaaay too much time between stages that have an effect on GC. So anyone interested in the GC watches for 2 days then waits 10 days, watches for 1 day and then waits almost another 10 days before there's anything relevant again. What were they thinking?

donrhummy said:
100% right. This year the Vuelta route was idiotically put together where there's waaaay too much time between stages that have an effect on GC. So anyone interested in the GC watches for 2 days then waits 10 days, watches for 1 day and then waits almost another 10 days before there's anything relevant again. What were they thinking?
Unipublic were thinking that since Heras' Epo bust and the likelihood that the Astana dastardley duo were juiced last year, they didn't want any doping scandals. Their way round doping was to make an 'easier' route. The way to get it right is keep the hard route but do enough specific testing to prevent the doping - whether that is possible or not I don;t know and can;t wait for Heinz' cowblood related reply.

Sadly it seems that more and more, cycling is becoming all about one race each year.

Bro Deal said:

agreed. dead boring. no places for attacks or for riders to gain an advantage. anyone know whats happening in the monster truck pull in Colorado ?

I agree BD.

I think Unipublic got it wrong this year, in terms of the route/stages.
The past few years the Vuelta has been superb - but this year's race lacks stages where the results could really alter GC.
Perhaps that explains the lacklustre interest.

The organizers perhaps cave to the pressure of sponsors for flat stage win opportunities. There are many more sponsors who think they can win a stage, than think they can win the GC (how many teams wear the GC jersey on the podium throughout the race compared to stage winners).

The same goes for race leaders. The teams are almost random in flat stage breakaways, but on hill stages, the same half dozen guys are nearly always the leaders, getting the exposure.

Sponsors want attention IMO and quantity of time with their guy(s) on the TV screen. Problem is alot of spectators are interested in the developing GC race.

limerickman said:
I agree BD.

I think Unipublic got it wrong this year, in terms of the route/stages.
The past few years the Vuelta has been superb - but this year's race lacks stages where the results could really alter GC.
Perhaps that explains the lacklustre interest.

Rolfrae said:
Unipublic were thinking that since Heras' Epo bust and the likelihood that the Astana dastardley duo were juiced last year, they didn't want any doping scandals. Their way round doping was to make an 'easier' route. The way to get it right is keep the hard route but do enough specific testing to prevent the doping - whether that is possible or not I don;t know and can;t wait for Heinz' cowblood related reply.
Easier routes do't stop doping, it just stops enjoyment. As long as there is money and career advancement involved, they're gonna try everything they can to win, even if it's an "easy" route. They'll just try and do the easy route faster than some other guy. I really don't understand why they think the "toughness" of the route is what makes them dope. That has nothing to do with it. Guys dope to WIN not to make the race easier.

All about the Giro these days.............

I've sort of given up on the Vuelta, might watch the last mountain top finish, but that's the only stage really worth it.

donrhummy said:
Easier routes do't stop doping, it just stops enjoyment. As long as there is money and career advancement involved, they're gonna try everything they can to win, even if it's an "easy" route. They'll just try and do the easy route faster than some other guy. I really don't understand why they think the "toughness" of the route is what makes them dope. That has nothing to do with it. Guys dope to WIN not to make the race easier.
100% agree with that.

Even the route of this year's TDF was better - harder mountaintop finishes, more climbs and climbing during mountain stages, more stages with hard climbs near the finish.
In order to test Menchov seriously they needed at least one mountaintop finish which is at least as hard as Plateau de Beille. Otherwise they'll just finish all serious stages almost together without any serious gaps.

I totally agree. I think the Giro has its place as the true climbers tour. Just a bunch of really brutal climbs which make it worthwhile. Flat stages can be relatively piano but the giro's mountains are untouchable for what they provide in entertainment. The tour is just the tour. Its got some brutal mountains but what makes it the best race is that it is the most focused on, has the best riders on their best form, and is absolutely balls to the wall racing every time the wheels are on the pavement (although I believe there were a few more relaxed stages this year than in the past due to uncertainty).

The vuelta just sucks. The scenery is lame, the climbs are there, but the preceding stage was so boring that it generally is just a 150 strong peloton firing up the final climb and a very short race of attrition on a single climb

tommyadrian5 said:
I totally agree. I think the Giro has its place as the true climbers tour. Just a bunch of really brutal climbs which make it worthwhile. Flat stages can be relatively piano but the giro's mountains are untouchable for what they provide in entertainment. The tour is just the tour. Its got some brutal mountains but what makes it the best race is that it is the most focused on, has the best riders on their best form, and is absolutely balls to the wall racing every time the wheels are on the pavement (although I believe there were a few more relaxed stages this year than in the past due to uncertainty).

The vuelta just sucks. The scenery is lame, the climbs are there, but the preceding stage was so boring that it generally is just a 150 strong peloton firing up the final climb and a very short race of attrition on a single climb
yeah, I don't understand why they don't realize that if they tried harder, this thing could be a huge draw for people from outside spain. I mean, everyone wants to go to spain anyways but if it had an exciting race every day, it's another reason to go there. Instead, they're the after-thought grand tour for just about everyone (including some spainards).

tommyadrian5 said:
I don't agree. The Vuelta has had some cracking good races. In recent years it has been a toss up between the Giro and Vuelta as to which one will have the best race. They have both had good and bad years. Last year's Giro with Basso's domination was a bore. In 2004 no one showed up to the Giro; Peta won nine stages and the GC fight was between two members of the same team.

This year's Vuelta route is just a poor one. When combined with the lack of participation or lack of motivation of riders like Valverde, the race has been rather dull.

Bro Deal said:
Okay, ever is a long time, but looking at this year's route it really looks like a pathetic route with limited opportunities for the GC contenders, especially in the second half.
It's the first time I can remember that the Tour didn't have the most boring parcours of the 3 GTs. This Vuelta would have been a good one for somebody to poach, but as it stands the strongest guy in the race is going to win it. There has only been 1 really selective day of the 3 mountain stages so far and only 1 potentially selective stage remaining.

Wayne666 said:
It's the first time I can remember that the Tour didn't have the most boring parcours of the 3 GTs. This Vuelta would have been a good one for somebody to poach, but as it stands the strongest guy in the race is going to win it. There has only been 1 really selective day of the 3 mountain stages so far and only 1 potentially selective stage remaining.
Judging by his comments to the press Sastre feels the same - although as a pure climber that's unsurprising. Just like this year's Tour, this year's Vuelta will be one to forget - although for admittedly different reasons.