Thompson Seatposts

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tbf, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Tbf

    Tbf Guest

    Yo everyone...

    Hope all you Winter challenged riders have been able to get
    out the past 3 weeks while the weather has gotten better. I
    did for one ride but managed to bend my seatpost.

    Anyways... I replaced it today with Thompson SP-E113.

    I probably should have asked for opinions on the part
    before throwing $100 at it, but my LBS has always treated
    me right. So when my main man told me it was the best he
    had I went for it.

    The old post on my rig was a Kalloy, which I really never
    liked much anyway. It always slipped into the frame and
    never gave me much confidence, so I was waiting for an
    excuse to dump it.

    Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my return
    date passes?

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    TBF wrote:
    > Yo everyone...
    >
    > Hope all you Winter challenged riders have been able to
    > get out the past 3 weeks while the weather has gotten
    > better. I did for one ride but managed to bend my
    > seatpost.
    >
    > Anyways... I replaced it today with Thompson SP-E113.
    >
    > I probably should have asked for opinions on the part
    > before throwing $100 at it, but my LBS has always treated
    > me right. So when my main man told me it was the best he
    > had I went for it.
    >
    > The old post on my rig was a Kalloy, which I really never
    > liked much anyway. It always slipped into the frame and
    > never gave me much confidence, so I was waiting for an
    > excuse to dump it.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my return
    > date passes?

    Basically, Thomson is the Cadillac of all seatpost; Loved
    and adored by XC'ers and DH'ers.
    --
    Slacker

  3. TBF wrote:
    > Yo everyone...
    >
    > Hope all you Winter challenged riders have been able to
    > get out the past 3 weeks while the weather has gotten
    > better. I did for one ride but managed to bend my
    > seatpost.
    >
    > Anyways... I replaced it today with Thompson SP-E113.
    >
    > I probably should have asked for opinions on the part
    > before throwing $100 at it, but my LBS has always treated
    > me right. So when my main man told me it was the best he
    > had I went for it.
    >
    > The old post on my rig was a Kalloy, which I really never
    > liked much anyway. It always slipped into the frame and
    > never gave me much confidence, so I was waiting for an
    > excuse to dump it.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my return
    > date passes?

    Love mine. Apart from it being very good at what it's made
    for it is also very good at adjustments. Just make sure you
    get the right lenght seatpost and ponder whether you need a
    setback seatpost or not. You'll notice that the saddle is
    positioned squarely on top of the seatpost whereas many
    other seatposts have the saddle positioned a little further
    back. This might bring you a little further forward than you
    were on your old seatpost. Then again it might not or even
    if it does it might be perfect.

    --
    Perre

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...<snip>
    > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my return
    > date passes?

    Never heard of Thompson seatposts.

    JD

  5. JD says:

    >Never heard of Thompson seatposts.

    ;-P

    (couldn't resist.....)

    Steve

  6. D H

    D H Guest

    > > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my
    > > return date passes?
    > >

    > Basically, Thomson is the Cadillac of all seatpost; Loved
    > and adored by XC'ers and DH'ers.
    > --
    > Slacker

    True. And a fine company to deal with. They still know
    what the words Customer SERVICE mean. I doubt you'll
    ever find any better company to deal with. Our race
    series always includes posts donated by Thompson. They
    are one of the safest items you can grab because if you
    get a wrong size, Thompson will almost certainly be glad
    to exchange it for whatever size you need instead. And
    as Slacker implied, they are top quality.
    --
    D N I E T S Off to R the M __, D H

    Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

  7. JD wrote:
    > "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3E2-
    > [email protected]>.-
    > ..<snip>
    >> Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my return
    >> date passes?
    >
    > Never heard of Thompson seatposts.
    >
    > JD

    Dang it. You are absolutely correct. I wonder should I
    cancel the review I submitted?

    --
    Perre

  8. "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yo everyone...
    >
    > Hope all you Winter challenged riders have been able to
    > get out the past 3 weeks while the weather has gotten
    > better. I did for one ride but managed
    > bend my seatpost.
    >
    > Anyways... I replaced it today with Thompson SP-E113.
    >
    > I probably should have asked for opinions on the part
    > before throwing $100 at it, but my LBS has always treated
    > me right. So when my main man told me it was the best he
    > had I went for it.
    >
    > The old post on my rig was a Kalloy, which I really never
    > liked much
    anyway.
    > It always slipped into the frame and never gave me much
    > confidence, so I
    was
    > waiting for an excuse to dump it.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my return
    > date passes?

    I didn't get on with mine, I had two and both were
    slightly undersized. I swapped it for a Race Face XY which
    works fine.

    Steve.

  9. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my return
    > date passes?

    We will only use Thomson seatposts on our bikes. They are
    indestructible. Period.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  10. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]
    com>...<snip>
    > > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my
    > > return date passes?
    >
    > Never heard of Thompson seatposts.
    >
    > JD

    If there really is a Thompson brand, it's probably some
    cheap Chinese company trying to get a free ride off the
    Thomson name.

    Dave

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    > > "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3E2-
    > > [email protected]>.-
    > > ..<snip>
    > >> Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my
    > >> return date passes?
    > >
    > > Never heard of Thompson seatposts.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Dang it. You are absolutely correct. I wonder should I
    > cancel the review I submitted?

    Your review was of Thomson, who indeed make excellent
    seat posts.

    JD

  12. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > So when my main man told me it was the best he had I
    > went for it.

    Good shop. Have one on my FS and it is excellent the way
    king headsets are, you never notice or think about it as it
    always does its job flawlessly.

    Per http://lowdin.nu

  13. Tbf

    Tbf Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3E25c.-
    > [email protected]
    > > Yo everyone...
    > >
    > > Hope all you Winter challenged riders have been able to
    > > get out the past
    3
    > > weeks while the weather has gotten better. I did for one
    > > ride but
    managed
    > > bend my seatpost.
    > >
    > > Anyways... I replaced it today with Thompson SP-E113.
    > >
    > > I probably should have asked for opinions on the part
    > > before throwing
    $100
    > > at it, but my LBS has always treated me right. So when
    > > my main man told
    me
    > > it was the best he had I went for it.
    > >
    > > The old post on my rig was a Kalloy, which I really
    > > never liked much
    > anyway.
    > > It always slipped into the frame and never gave me much
    > > confidence, so I
    > was
    > > waiting for an excuse to dump it.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my
    > > return date passes?
    >
    > I didn't get on with mine, I had two and both were
    > slightly undersized. I swapped it for a Race Face XY which
    > works fine.
    >
    > Steve.

    Well seems unanimous...rare for this bunch!

  14. "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message
    > > > Anyone have any thoughts on the Thompson before my
    > > > return date passes?
    > >
    > > I didn't get on with mine, I had two and both were
    > > slightly undersized.
    > > swapped it for a Race Face XY which works fine.
    > >
    > > Steve.
    > >
    > Well seems unanimous...rare for this bunch!

    ???