Thompson Setback Post

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by fdpiper, Jan 9, 2008.

1. fdpiper

fdpiper New Member

Anyone else find that there isn't enough "setback" on the Thompson seatpost. I love the looks, strength, and lightness of the post but can't get the saddle back far enough.... Is it just me??

Thanks.

Tags:

2. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Are you talking about the post with the bend in the tube? I would agree that you're going to have trouble getting enough setback with the straight tube - I've got one of those on my MTB, but I don't think many roadies are going to be comfortable with it. I'm thinking about getting one of the "setback" Thomson posts for my road bike, but I'll think again, maybe. What is your seat tube angle?

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Setback is determined by your fit needs on a given bike, so if one post doesn't give you enough setback, then you need to find another one that offers more. If you look at the various amounts of setback that different posts offer, you'll find 10mm, 15mm, 18mm, 25mm, 45mm, and anything possibly in between.

What you first need to do is figure out how much setback you need on your current frame. Then search out the post that fits those needs. There is also another option: Albert Bold, of Bold Precision, will not only make seatposts of custom length, but he we also make seatposts with custom setback. Frankly, in the world of metal seatposts, no one makes a better seatpost than Albert, not even Thompson. Albert's seatposts are beautiful and damned near works of art. They're also not terribly expensive.

4. dosedependent

dosedependent New Member

What about a Profile Design Fast Forward seat post flipped into the reverse direction?

BTW - I use a Thompson Masterpiece setback. It rocks. But I have also found that it depends on the rail length on the saddle I use. When I recently switched saddles, I found that one of saddles had rails about 1cm to 2 cm shorter than the other model.

DoseDependent

http://www.alvinstewart.com/2008/bike.php