Thomson or Easton

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Banatean, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Banatean

Banatean New Member

I'm nuts,oh well....On my Trek i got an Easton riser bar EA50 and i love it,but then i saw their stems and i thought i gotta have one of those ....untill i saw the Thomson work of art stem,i think it's almost a sculpture :D ....looks that good and feels well made (US made too!).Which stem would you guys get ? the Thomson or the Easton ? (i already bought the Thomson stem and seatpost).
    PS The Easton seatposts have a lot of bad reviews,even the carbon fibre one is made so so :( ,check them out...
    Dan

Tags:

2. jaz

jaz New Member

I prefer the Thomson myself (well I bought one so) I also have that Easton carbon seatpost & I dont know if its typical of the build quality of Easton stuff but I wish I'd bought the matching Thomson seatpost as my stem is way above the quality of the Easton post.
    heres a piccy check it out, you know you want one :p

3. Banatean

Banatean New Member

I have to agree with you Jazz,the Thomson is a magnificent piece of work,i also bought the "regular" Thomson stem and seatpost and i'm very impresed.I noticed that you also have Chris King headset,how do you like it ?,i'm contemplating geting one as well but it's like $ 230 canadian !!!! :mad: ,and if i do my bike i also gotta do wifes bike too,we always get matching stuff .
    Thank you .
    Dan

4. jaz

jaz New Member

Well I replied about the King in the other thread you put up but maybe you missed it, anyway I bought a 2nd hand Chris King headset in 1999 or 2000 (cant remember exactly) & after using it for 5 years or so I can say that it still runs like new.
    I know what you mean about it being expensive & without using it you will think is it worth it but knowing what I know now I would buy a new one if I ever needed one as its so nice, I'm sure I am right when I say Chris King sponsers no riders but if you look at pro riders bikes nearly all of them use King headsets & I think that says it all.

5. Banatean

Banatean New Member

Well now i'm also a proud owner of two headsets by King,bought them last night from a local bike shop for $ 168/ea :p canadian,one red for my Trek and a purple for wifes Specialized,indeed they are very nice (so darn nice it kept me awake last night for a while... :D ,i can't wait till i install them ...thank you Jaz.
    Dan :)

6. jaz

jaz New Member

Sorry Dan I've been off the computer a few days, I'm glad you got them & hope they work out as good for you as mine has for me :D
    $168 each thats a good price as they cost about £110 here (around $260 can $)
    I would like to travel to Canada one day to do some riding as it looks a mountain bikers dream over there :)

7. Banatean

Banatean New Member

You bet,please come over !,i live in Edmonton,capital of Alberta and it's not very far from the Rocky Mountains at all,like 350 Km from Jasper or Banff (check them out on the internet :) ).
    I already installed one King set on whife's Specialized actually i bought her a new stem as well Easton EA50 and it looks sharp,very sharp.Now i can't wait till i install the King set on my Trek but i got a little problem;i think i overtightened one of the bolts on my Thomson stem,i hope i can take it out without damaging it,i'll keep you posted.
    About the Chris King set the guy at LBS told me that they sell easy for $ 210 cnd but regular price is like $ 250 cnd....expensive :eek: !
    Dan

8. jaz

jaz New Member

Lol cheers might take you up on that one day ;)
    I had a look at those places you said & the country looks stunning, I'll tell you something though my real name is actually Jasper, how weird is that :p

9. sungchang

sungchang New Member

Jaz, nice setup. I was looking at Salsa Caballero before purchasing a Titus Racer-X. I found a deal on a new 2003 RX that I just couldn't pass up.

RX is built up with:
    - Thomson stem and seatpost (moved over from my previous bike)
    - Chris King headset
    - Easton EA50 risers

Bike arrived yesterday. I'm dying to try it out this weekend.

10. Banatean

Banatean New Member

Hi Jasper,Scandium frame....nice,really nice (is Scandium lighter and stronger than titanium ?,i guess it's also more expensive;i think i read somewhere that the soviets :mad: <ruskies> developed it,is it true ?).
    Dan

11. Banatean

Banatean New Member

About my overtightend Thomson stem bolts;i phoned the bike shops to ask how they deal with this problem...they usually drill them out,but none of them had the original Thomson stem bolts :mad: ,so i drilled the bolt out without damaging the stem part (caution ..when drilled thru it flew off ...so watch out),then i went to Home Depot to buy the bolts and no luck but i found stainless steel ones over at Rona for 54 cents/each...cheap :) .
    So now i installed the Chris King headset on my Trek and i love it :) .
    Dan

12. jaz

jaz New Member

That Titus looks very nice sungchang :D
    Dan yeah Scandium is lighter than Ti I think, its basicly aluminum mixed with a bit of scandium which makes the alu stronger so less can be used making the frame lighter, it also seems less harsh to ride than an alu frame.
    Its expensive yes but compared to Ti or top of the range alu frames it was quite competitive, my Salsa was £625 for the frame compare this to £700 for a Yeti arc (Scandium & alu tubes) & £700 for an M5 alu S-works so it wasnt too bad.
    I'd have never really bought it if I had to pay for it but seeing as how I got it in an insurance pay off (I was hit by a car on my old 5 year old bike & got the blokes insurance to pay me a lot more than my old bike was worth, well about the price to replace it if it was brand new) so I put a few hundred £ towards it & bought exactly what I wanted.
    But yeah its a very light frame, Salsa says the 18" is 3lb & mines a 16" so its just under 3lb which is about as light as it gets..

13. sungchang

sungchang New Member

Thanks Jaz. Here's initial photos. Swapped out some components and put my old Panaracer Fire XC tires after getting the bike, but I haven't taken photos of it yet.

14. sungchang

sungchang New Member

Probably not the right place, but quick question:

From experience, do you think it would be ok to put on a Easton EC90 MonkeyLite SL handlebar (135g) for a heavy rider, 245lbs, or should I just stay with aluminum bars?

15. jaz

jaz New Member

Hmm not sure if I would go that light with your weight just to save a few grams over a good flat alu bar, but saying that I have carbon bars (185gm risers) on mine & allthough I had doubts about them when I bought them I now have full confidence in them & treat them like I would an alu bar, only thing is I weigh about 70kg (think thats about 150lb so quite a lot lighter than yourself)
    Think someone with more knowledge on carbon bars & heavier riders (no offence ;) lol) should answer your question.

Oh btw your ride looks sweeeet, see you did the right thing & got some Fox forks.

And Dan yes Scandium mixed with aluminum was developed by the Russians in the cold war :p

16. sungchang

sungchang New Member

That seems to be the concensus, and so I have been delaying changing it out. For now, I am planning to stick with my faithful alu bars. I just need to get rid of the MonkeyLite SL.

17. Banatean

Banatean New Member

Neeto :)
    Jaz,do you live in UK ?,you see i'm from Romania but i left long time ago (1986...) but i remember how nice it used to be to ride my soviet made bike i think was called Zyf...near the Danube river :) ...i miss home but i don't mind it here in Canada at all,i fact i think i'll fell strange to be back "home"...
    Dan

18. jaz

jaz New Member

Yeah I live in the UK Dan.