Thomson X4 handle bar stem (90 degree), where to buy in Melbourne?`

RoadCyclist

Guest
Greetings all

I need a 90-degree (i.e. dead straight) O/S 31.8mm road stem to fit my Deda
Newton O/S handle bars. This is for a road bike (Trek Madone), not MTB.

I was recommended a Thomson X4 90-degree stem. My question is: where do I
buy it in Melbourne?

Any other alternatives for 90-degree O/S road handle-bar stems?

thanks in advance

"RoadCyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings all
>
> I need a 90-degree (i.e. dead straight) O/S 31.8mm road stem to fit my

Deda
> Newton O/S handle bars. This is for a road bike (Trek Madone), not MTB.
>
> I was recommended a Thomson X4 90-degree stem. My question is: where do I
> buy it in Melbourne?
>
> Any other alternatives for 90-degree O/S road handle-bar stems?
>
> thanks in advance

A few weeks ago I bought a Thomson Elite MTB stem from a guy on US Ebay for
$85AU. It cost about $20AU to post to Aust so I ended up getting it for
$105AU. The cheapest I saw them in Aust bike shops was about $190 or so.
It arrived within 10 days or so of me buying it.

The same guy also sells the zero degree Thomson X4 road stems in various
lengths.

http://tinyurl.com/nx78x

Gags

RoadCyclist wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> I need a 90-degree (i.e. dead straight) O/S 31.8mm road stem to fit my Deda
> Newton O/S handle bars. This is for a road bike (Trek Madone), not MTB.
>
> I was recommended a Thomson X4 90-degree stem. My question is: where do I
> buy it in Melbourne?
>
> Any other alternatives for 90-degree O/S road handle-bar stems?

Why do you need it? You can get (almost definatly, unless someone went
stupid with the hacksaw on your steerer tube) the same position with
spacers and a normal bent stem. Straght stems are rare because they're
a lot less versatile than a bent stem.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> RoadCyclist wrote:
>> Greetings all
>>
>> I need a 90-degree (i.e. dead straight) O/S 31.8mm road stem to fit my
>> Deda
>> Newton O/S handle bars. This is for a road bike (Trek Madone), not MTB.
>>
>> I was recommended a Thomson X4 90-degree stem. My question is: where do I
>> buy it in Melbourne?
>>
>> Any other alternatives for 90-degree O/S road handle-bar stems?

> Why do you need it? You can get (almost definatly, unless someone went
> stupid with the hacksaw on your steerer tube) the same position with
> spacers and a normal bent stem. Straght stems are rare because they're
> a lot less versatile than a bent stem.

thanks folks

I bought it at chainreactioncycles.com for ~AUD$150 delivered from UK in 4
days. Local distributor wants AUD$239(!) and quoted at least 1 week
delivery. Probikekit does not sell Thomson stems AFAIK.

The reason I wanted 0 degree stem is that I already have 30mm(!) of spacers
and a flipped up +8 stem, I do not want any more spacer (looks odd) and a
flipped up stem also looks odd to me too. So a 0-stem is a good compromise
since when I tried -8 stem it was too low for my bad back and -5 would not
make much difference in bar height and +5 still looks a bit odd. So the
closest is a straight 0 stem. I had this Thomson X4 0 stem installed now and
it seems to fit ok, not too high, not too low and looks better that a +n
flipped up stem although not as good as a -n flipped down stem would.

Stay upright.