Thorn-resistant tubes

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Michael Evans, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Everyone,

    I think I've seen this question before, and apologize for rehashing an old thread, but I need
    advice on thorn-resistant tubes.

    It's goat-head thorn season here in Colorado USA, and they're MEAN! I'm looking to put
    thick-walled thorn-resistant tubes in my tires. I know they're heavy, but I use my bike
    primarily for commuting, so with my clothes, shoes, and work bag my bike is pretty heavy
    already ;-)

    My problem is that I've got a 20"x1.75" tire (Tioga Comp Pool) in
    the front, and a 700Cx37C tire (Conti Top Touring 2000) in the back, and
    can't find any thick-walled tubes for those sizes in my local bike shop.

    Can anyone recommend a good maker of these tubes, and let me know where to get them on-line? At
    this time, I like the tires I have and don't want to get new ones.

    Thanks, Mike

    Tags:

  2. Do you have a Wal-mart, Target, or any of those type of stores?

    They usually carry thorn proof tubes.

    Lewis.

    http://tinyurl.com/r3r6 .........................

    ***********************************
    "Michael Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Everyone,
    >
    > I think I've seen this question before, and apologize for rehashing an old thread, but I need
    > advice on thorn-resistant tubes.
    >
    > It's goat-head thorn season here in Colorado USA, and they're MEAN! I'm looking to put
    > thick-walled thorn-resistant tubes in my tires. I know they're heavy, but I use my bike
    > primarily for commuting, so with my clothes, shoes, and work bag my bike is pretty heavy
    > already ;-)
    >
    > My problem is that I've got a 20"x1.75" tire (Tioga Comp Pool) in
    > the front, and a 700Cx37C tire (Conti Top Touring 2000) in the back, and
    > can't find any thick-walled tubes for those sizes in my local bike shop.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good maker of these tubes, and let me know where to get them on-line?
    > At this time, I like the tires I have and don't want to get new ones.
    >
    > Thanks, Mike

  3. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Michael,

    Check Hostel Shoppe on line. The have various thorn resistant tubes under tire sizes.

    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/

    Gary McCarty, Salt Lake City

    Michael Evans <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Everyone,
    >
    > I think I've seen this question before, and apologize for rehashing an old thread, but I need
    > advice on thorn-resistant tubes.

  4. Michael,

    You might consider getting Mr. Tuffy tire liners instead of heavy tubes. Tuffy liners come in
    various sizes, and you could probably trim them with heavy scissors if needed to fit your tires.

    Pamela

  5. My LBS was able to order the thorn proof tubes for me. I also use the tuffy liners and
    velox rim tape.

    I have never had any problems with the tuffy liners as some claim to have.

    I weigh 210 pounds. Who cares about a couple of grams, ounces, or even a pound or two if it saves
    even one flat tire.

  6. www.specialized.com

    I use their thornproof tubes plus airlock goo inside (we've got star thistle out here). I've got
    their armdillo tires on my DF and mtb and am really happy with them too. If only they made slick
    armdillos for 406 wheels...