Those Darn Scooters

BikeBikeBikeBike

May 19, 2015
In my area we have a problem (Okay more like I and people I know have the problem) with electric scooters. You can buy one for under a grand, and as long as they have pedals you need no license, insurance or other documentation to ride them on public roadways.
The scooters typically attract a certain type of person. These people often use them as transport because they cannot hold a clean licence. DUI, unpaid fines ect. They also use scooters since they are too lazy to ride a bicycle or to walk.
Unfortunately in my area too public transit is terrible, I can get to a destination faster on foot then by bus.
They have little respect for the rules of the road or safety. I swear 50% of them are drunk or on drugs.
They often carry passengers, sometimes young children who I always fear for.

I want to know if others have the same problems in their area, or what other opinions you might have on the subject.

Reactions: haleylx4
Yeah man... Tell me about it. :D

I was pushing like crazy on the cycle path when a 40 yo guy on a motorized mountain bike flew right by me at 50 kmh. :D

And these "barely legal" Chinese scooters with their damn "only for legal reasons" pedals. :D

You know, the ones with the fake license plates stating "e bike" so the police won't stop them.

Riding in the cycle path "coz they are bikes too". :( Like the baby trikes etc. Talking about lack of etiquette and common sense.

Pedal assistance? What's that? :D Nooo, twist throttle! Twist throttle!

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Btw have you ever seen a motorized bike run on... drumroll... Petrol??? :D

Yep... a small 10cc or something engine in the main triangle.

Now thaaat was classy! :D

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Volnix said:
Btw have you ever seen a motorized bike run on... drumroll... Petrol??? :D

Yep... a small 10cc or something engine in the main triangle.

Now thaaat was classy! :D
When I was a teenager we used to order 2 stroke 50cc/70cc engine kits from China and attach them to old bicycles.
We got pretty good at it too! Came up with all types of custom modification to make them work. A lot of fun to boot around on with the guys.
The police started cracking down on them because other idiots drove them all over town and on the main roads with broken/missing mufflers.
A few times the cops told us that we couldn't have them but we weren't idiots or disrespectful so we never got tickets or in real trouble but it came a time we knew that it had to come to and end.
Once in a blue moon we still pull them out, dust them off and take them to the trails and back roads.

Lol! We have the exact oposite problem in our area! We never see a single scooter rider anywhere around these parts, mainly jusy riders and bikers.

ZXD22 said:
Lol! We have the exact oposite problem in our area! We never see a single scooter rider anywhere around these parts, mainly jusy riders and bikers.
Doesn't sound like much of a "problem" to me, where do you live, heaven?