Those funny wee pedals (SPDs)

Brian

Guest
After having a few incidents of foot slipping off pedal on yesterdays 35
mile cycle (my poor bum muscles!!!) I think it's time to go for some sort
of SPD pedal.

I currently have a pair of Specialized Taho MTB shoes according to the
Specialized website they have a 2 bolt spd cleat pattern so I assume any
spd pedal would work?

Any thoughts on any of these?

FPD Duo Single sided spd pedal:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360015711

Wellgo WPD982 SPD Pedals:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360015711

Shimano M424 SPD Pedal:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360015711

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

--
Brian

Brian <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

Ooops: try http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300003804

try http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360006644

> Shimano M424 SPD Pedal:
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360015711

try http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=4000000481

It would be quite difficult using a Surly Fixxer Converter as a pedal!

:)

--
Brian

in message <[email protected]>, Brian
('[email protected]') wrote:

> After having a few incidents of foot slipping off pedal on yesterdays
> 35 mile cycle (my poor bum muscles!!!) I think it's time to go for
> some sort of SPD pedal.
>
> I currently have a pair of Specialized Taho MTB shoes according to the
> Specialized website they have a 2 bolt spd cleat pattern so I assume
> any spd pedal would work?
>
> Any thoughts on any of these?
>
> FPD Duo Single sided spd pedal:
>
> Wellgo WPD982 SPD Pedals:
>
> Shimano M424 SPD Pedal:

My partner uses the Shimanos; they're OK. I have a pair of FPD double
sided on one of my bikes; they're OK too. Not brilliant but perfectly
OK.

It's worth pointing out that Time ATAC, Speedplay Frog, and Crank
Brothers Eggbeater pedal systems (and possibly some others) all use the
same bolt pattern. Personally I now have ATACs on my favourite off-road
bike, and find them greatly superior to SPDs. They're much easier to
get into (and out of), have better float, and clear mud better.

The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.

Brian wrote:
> After having a few incidents of foot slipping off pedal on yesterdays 35
> mile cycle (my poor bum muscles!!!) I think it's time to go for some sort
> of SPD pedal.

<snip>

> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance

The 'compromise' PD-M324s, means you can also pop to the shops. I like 'em.

On 23 Jan 2005 09:10:46 GMT, Brian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> I currently have a pair of Specialized Taho MTB shoes according to the
>> Specialized website they have a 2 bolt spd cleat pattern so I assume
>> any spd pedal would work?

Yes.

>> FPD Duo Single sided spd pedal:

> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300003804

The group discussed these pedals in October. See here:

http://tinyurl.com/4n2df

>> Wellgo WPD982 SPD Pedals:
>>

> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360006644

Dunno, never tried those. I did once own a pair of wellgo single sided
road spd's, they were fine until they self destructed after about 4
months of use.

>> Shimano M424 SPD Pedal:
>>

>http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=4000000481

I'd choose Shimano spd's every time, although, I'd also suggest you go
the whole hog and jump straight to double sided spd's without the
cage/platform. You don't need it.

The standard recommendation for good starter spd's are Shimano M520's
from CycleXpress:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/M520_SPD_Pedals_169.asp

Excellent pedals at less than 20 quid with free postage. Bargain.

--

Call me "Bob"

"More oneness, less categories,
Open hearts, no strategies"

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:31:32 +0100, Tosspot <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The 'compromise' PD-M324s, means you can also pop to the shops. I like 'em.

You can pop to the shops with pure spd pedals (without the
platform/cage) anyway. The spd cleats sit within the sole of most
shoes so they don't interfere at all with wandering around Tesco.

--

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:02:49 +0000, Call me Bob wrote:

> I'd choose Shimano spd's every time, although, I'd also suggest you go
> the whole hog and jump straight to double sided spd's without the
> cage/platform. You don't need it.

Not sure about going the whole hog with double sided spds, I'd rather have
single sided spds, which will give me the choice of footwear, cycling
shoes or walking boots for very very wet / muddy conditions or a cycling
/ hiking trip.

> The standard recommendation for good starter spd's are
> Shimano M520's
> from CycleXpress:
>
> http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/M520_SPD_Pedals_169.asp
>
> Excellent pedals at less than 20 quid with free postage. Bargain.

These do look like good pedals, but the lack of cage is concerning...

--
Brian

Brian Innes wrote:
>>The standard recommendation for good starter spd's are
>>Shimano M520's
>>from CycleXpress:
>>
>>http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/M520_SPD_Pedals_169.asp
>>
>>Excellent pedals at less than 20 quid with free postage. Bargain.

> These do look like good pedals, but the lack of cage is concerning...

They are great pedals. If you _really_ need a cage, then get a small
piece of plywood, screw a spare cleat to the bottom and varnish it.
(Subsitute metal for wood if you are handy at metalwork.)

When you want flats, clip your panels in. Unclip them for "dedicated" rides.

Above all, I would recommend avoiding FPDs like the plague. Given you
can buy the "genuine article" for a few pounds more, you're better off
with the M520s.

Jon

Call me Bob wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:31:32 +0100, Tosspot <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>The 'compromise' PD-M324s, means you can also pop to the shops. I like 'em.

> You can pop to the shops with pure spd pedals (without the
> platform/cage) anyway. The spd cleats sit within the sole of most
> shoes so they don't interfere at all with wandering around Tesco.

Not with my shoes they dont. OK, I do agree that you can ride with
shoes on SPDs if you *really* want, but I liked the flexibility.

Brian composed the following;:

> Any other suggestions?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=4000000481

Shimano M324 Combination Pedal

What I now use, and would recommend if you don't always 'get dressed' to
go cycling and just need the bike to pop to somewhere quickly. Can be
used with any footwear, including wellies, horse riding boots etc .. ;)

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:29:22 +0000, Paul - *** wrote:

> Brian composed the following;:
>
>> Any other suggestions?

> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=4000000481
>
> Shimano M324 Combination Pedal
>
> What I now use, and would recommend if you don't always 'get dressed' to
> go cycling and just need the bike to pop to somewhere quickly. Can be
> used with any footwear, including wellies, horse riding boots etc .. ;)

These look the business. I'm hoping to do some cycling camping / walking
in the summer so the option of using summer hike boots on the bike is a
good thing.

These are a possibility...

cheers

--
Brian

"Brian Innes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:02:49 +0000, Call me Bob wrote:
>

>> I'd choose Shimano spd's every time, although, I'd also suggest you go
>> the whole hog and jump straight to double sided spd's without the
>> cage/platform. You don't need it.
>>

> Not sure about going the whole hog with double sided spds, I'd rather have
> single sided spds, which will give me the choice of footwear, cycling
> shoes or walking boots for very very wet / muddy conditions or a cycling

FWIW when I decided to try SPDs I started with single sided. Although I'm
used to toe clips I just couldn't get the hang of flipping them to SPD side.
After a couple of weeks of faffing around I bought a pair of double sided
SPDs. No probs, took to them like a duck to water.
Toby

Brian Innes composed the following;:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:29:22 +0000, Paul - *** wrote:
>
>> Brian composed the following;:
>>
>>> Any other suggestions?

>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=4000000481
>>
>> Shimano M324 Combination Pedal
>>
>> What I now use, and would recommend if you don't always 'get
>> dressed' to go cycling and just need the bike to pop to somewhere
>> quickly. Can be used with any footwear, including wellies, horse
>> riding boots etc .. ;)

> These look the business. I'm hoping to do some cycling camping /
> walking in the summer so the option of using summer hike boots on the
> bike is a good thing.
>
> These are a possibility...
>
> cheers

No worries. IMHO these are the best combination, not least 'cos of the
metal cage flat side that I can file to slightly sharper points for
better grip with flat-soled boots and shoes. YMMV ;)

--

Brian Innes <[email protected]> of wrote:
>Not sure about going the whole hog with double sided spds, I'd rather have
>single sided spds, which will give me the choice of footwear, cycling
>shoes or walking boots for very very wet / muddy conditions or a cycling
>/ hiking trip.

Single sided mean you have to fiddle around finding which side of the pedal
you have and doing that annoying flip, whether using your SPDs or not. I
find this *very* annoying. Especially if you are cycling on something less
smooth than roads - there's never a flat easy bit to coast on while doing
the flip. Instead get the M424 combination pedals Paul recommended. Just
jump on and ride, whether with SPDs or ordinary shoes. The platform will
support an ordinary shoe fine for a while. It bites into the foot a bit
eventually; I use mine without SPDs for up to half an hour. You can get
boot style shoes with clips.
--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are
merely rearranging their prejudices. - William James

In news:[email protected],
Tony Raven <[email protected]> typed:
> My experience, for SPD stick with Shimano. They work whereas some of
> the lookalikes don't very well.

My mountain bike has some excellent Ritchey ones which are old, but look
exactly like these Wellgo WPD801 ones.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360006644

I've been a lot happier with these than my Shimano ones on the other bike.
But the Shimanos are more of a known quantity, I agree.

"Brian Innes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Not sure about going the whole hog with double sided spds, I'd rather have
> single sided spds, which will give me the choice of footwear, cycling
> shoes or walking boots for very very wet / muddy conditions or a cycling
> / hiking trip.

I've been using double side Shimano spds for over 12 years quite happily,
notwithstanding mud clogging on the older versions. I bought a pair of
single sided A515's for a road bike, mistake! They're a real ball-ache to
flip and engage, far more so than the Looks I've used, just what you don't
want when trying to make smart progress from a road junction for instance.
I must say I like Jon Seniors idea of creating your own platform.

Pete

Brian wrote:

> I currently have a pair of Specialized Taho MTB shoes according to the
> Specialized website they have a 2 bolt spd cleat pattern so I assume any
> spd pedal would work?

Should do, but personally I prefer (and suggest) the non-SPD Time ATAC
family. The cleats will go in the same shoes as SPuD cleats so that's
not a worry. While at the CTCS AGM on Saturday someone looking over the
8 Freight noticed my ATACs and said he used them too as he found them
altogether better than SPuDs: they're simpler, no faffing about with
tension adjustment, a cleaner design and less susceptible to rattling
cleats as they get worn, you can get in to them at any point along the
bar, rather than a single spot and they have proper lateral float too
(SPuDs only have rotational float, which ATACs still do at least as well).

Cost a little more, but IMHO a better product.

If you want a pedal you can use in Other Shoes they now do a version
with an extended platform, but it still has a mech on both sides.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Steph Peters wrote:

> Single sided mean you have to fiddle around finding which side of the
> pedal you have and doing that annoying flip, whether using your SPDs
> or not. I find this *very* annoying. Especially if you are cycling
> on something less smooth than roads - there's never a flat easy bit
> to coast on while doing the flip.

It's actually trivially easy if you have the technique, and you do not
have to coast. Firstly, if your cleated foot finds the flat side of the
pedal it is not an emergency. You can cycle quite happily like this for
as long as you need to - you're just not clipped in. When you're ready
to change sides you don't have to flip or fiddle at all. Simply take
your foot off the pedal at the bottom of the stroke and put it back on
at the top. Do not bother looking down or trying to feel for the clip.
The pedal will be the right way round. Click in and ride away.
--
Dave...