Those Pesky Mutts

Kyle Kern

Dec 22, 2006
I've recently taken up biking in the last year and I enjoy riding on the back country roads of Wisconsin tons. Problem is that lots of farmers tend to have dogs, not tied up, that are very protective of their land. On my routes I've only encountered one major problem. It's this one house on the top of a large hill and every time I've taken my bike on that route two smaller dogs come running and out try catching up to me. To say the least, it gets the adrenaline pumping and I usually "outcycle" them, but I'm worried that one of these times I won't be able too or something bad might happen.

So, my question is, to you experienced riders who have dealt with this before; What is the best method of getting rid of this problem? Staying off that route?

Contact the authorities. Don't let them catch you; they will stick their paws and snout in your spokes and may wind up very seriously injured as well as you.

Earlier this year I was riding my cross bike on a local bike path. There was a cyclist about 100 yds ahead of me also riding the path. I watched as a small terrier ran at this guy from the side yapping and snapping at his feet. The dog was close enough to be a danger. As I approached the "danger zone" I pulled my water bottle from the cage and waited to see if this dog would have a run at me. He didn't disappoint. The dog targeted my right foot as I got closer, and I squirted him right in the face from about 6 inches away. To say the dog was shocked w/b an understatement. He turned and ran away faster than he came. What a sight! Probably the hardest I've ever laughed while riding a bike.
icon10.gif

Aren't dogs fun?

Each incident is different, but this is my general strategy. When I spot a dog, I move to the farthest part of the roadway or lane as conditions allow. Then as the dog approaches from behind and to the side, I wait till his snout is near (or if I dare, alongside my tire) then I cut back into the dog. If his steps don't immediately falter, I run him into the curb, mailboxes, trash cans or parked cars. (Don't worry PETA, I have never witnessed a dog get hurt from doing this!)

The object is to get him to break stride. The moment he does, the chase is over. I leave them barking and trying to convince themselves that they ended the chase because they wanted to, not because of my maneuvers!

Other thing I have had people claim works for them is the water trick described by Bulaboy above, and making a loud ffffhhhttt sound with ones mouth, which apparently startles the dog, causing him to break stride. I am not comfortable with the one handed riding needing to be performed while doing the water trick in the stress of the moment. my first and natural response is to sprint.

Mocking dogs seems to be counter-productive. They hate to be called *****-cat for example.

If the worst happens, it is too steep a hill to out run them perhaps, stop and get off your bike, with the bike between you an the dog.

Woof!

Thanks everyone for your help!
I've talked to a friend about the problem who bikes a lot and he claims to have a bottle of mase (spelling?) handy while on his bike. Wow. :)

Kyle Kern said:
I've talked to a friend about the problem who bikes a lot and he claims to have a bottle of mase (spelling?) handy while on his bike. Wow. :)
Mace or dog spray can work but be careful when using them so that you don't spray yourself or spray into the wind and get yourself. I heard of a trick where you have a bottle filled with a citrus drink of some kind and spray the dog with that. The citric acid in the drink is irritating but it's not going to hurt the dog. That dog will definitely stay away from you after that.

Kyle Kern said:
Dogs aren't stupid i cross a doberman that runs out after me every time i pass. I feel that if i tried to spray the dog with mase it might attack even harder than it would unprovoked. What causes dogs to run out after you is the rims spinning or your feet peddeling. Thats why so many dogs chase cars, to catch the wheels. So when encountered with a dog that beats you and will not let you cross on the bike get off put the bike on the side of the road and make a big fuss and scare the dog away or if the dog looks friendly enough try to coax it out of the way incase of a car. Then walk the bike away until it can't catch you when you start off again. Anyway i ride along country farmland too and this is probably the worst problem that I have aswell. I havent tried the bottle water trick but I don't know if spraying a doberman in the face with water right before it hits you is the best idea.

mcr2c384 said:
Dogs aren't stupid i cross a doberman that runs out after me every time i pass. I feel that if i tried to spray the dog with mase it might attack even harder than it would unprovoked. What causes dogs to run out after you is the rims spinning or your feet peddeling. Thats why so many dogs chase cars, to catch the wheels. So when encountered with a dog that beats you and will not let you cross on the bike get off put the bike on the side of the road and make a big fuss and scare the dog away or if the dog looks friendly enough try to coax it out of the way incase of a car. Then walk the bike away until it can't catch you when you start off again. Anyway i ride along country farmland too and this is probably the worst problem that I have aswell. I havent tried the bottle water trick but I don't know if spraying a doberman in the face with water right before it hits you is the best idea.
Why don't you just report this doberman to the cops?