Those wacky zany Basque are at it again.

crit pro

Guest
They really want to seperate. Maybe they should let them.

cp

"Sierraman" <[email protected]> writes:

> "crit pro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > They really want to seperate. Maybe they should let them.
> >

> > cp

> I wonder where Indurain stands on the issue.

He's always said he identifies with the area he came from, Navarre.

I'm having trouble finding the exact quote, but when asked directly
about this, he said "I am a man from Navarre" (to the best of my
recollection).

This article could probably help you out. The Indurain-specific
stuff starts about halfway down or so:

http://www.dailypeloton.com/spokes3.asp

-Gerard

"Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Sierraman" <[email protected]> writes:

> This article could probably help you out. The Indurain-specific
> stuff starts about halfway down or so:
>
> http://www.dailypeloton.com/spokes3.asp
>

> -Gerard

Interesting...

http://www.dailypeloton.com/spokes3.asp

Indurain, remained however keen to avoid being brought into nationalist
dialogue and debate. In June 1996 when asked about being Navarran he stated,
"I was born here, I like this region and its customs, but I don't feel
especially patriotic." On ETA activities he stated that, "ETA terrorists
have the same lack of respect for life as any other group of delinquents
have. The Basque Country is not the only place to have terrorists in that
respect. What hurts is that human values have been cast aside." On politics
in general Indurain claimed it did not interest him.

Indurain thus, found himself part of a nationalist discourse that existed
despite his opinions, but the media continued its subtle manipulation of the
nationalist dialogue surrounding the sportsman. In 1996 the Spanish press
and public awaited an historic sixth Tour de France victory. The Tour route
passed through Indurain's hometown, Villava, on route to Pamplona. Ikurriñas
dominated the route and especially the towns. The victory was not to be, but
whilst ETA threatened to sabotage the Tour and set off bombs in Pamplona,
the Madrid based sports daily, Marca failed incredibly to picture a single
Ikurriña in its extensive coverage. Conversely, Meta 2 Mil, a Basque based
journal succeeded, as did most of the international press, in showing the
mass of Basque flags.

"Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having trouble finding the exact quote, but when asked directly
> about this, he said "I am a man from Navarre" (to the best of my
> recollection).

I remember an interview where he was asked "Do you consider yourself Basque
or Spanish?" (not something a Spanish or Basque journalist would ask) and he
answered "I am from Navarra" which says it all, if you know anything.

"Geraard Spergen" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm having trouble finding the exact quote, but when asked directly
> > about this, he said "I am a man from Navarre" (to the best of my
> > recollection).
> >

> I remember an interview where he was asked "Do you consider yourself Basque
> or Spanish?" (not something a Spanish or Basque journalist would ask) and he
> answered "I am from Navarra" which says it all, if you know anything.

That's exactly the interview I was thinking of. Couldn't find it
anywhere.

Nice play on words for the name, by the way.

-Lemurg Rammont

> > "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > I remember an interview where he was asked "Do you consider yourself Basque
> > or Spanish?" (not something a Spanish or Basque journalist would ask) and he
> > answered "I am from Navarra" which says it all, if you know anything.

yeah. it says he's basque, for all intensive purposes, seeing as
navarra/iruña is the historic capital of the basque country.

On 12/05/2004 02:09 AM, in article
[email protected], "otto" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>> "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I remember an interview where he was asked "Do you consider yourself Basque
>>> or Spanish?" (not something a Spanish or Basque journalist would ask) and he
>>> answered "I am from Navarra" which says it all, if you know anything.

> yeah. it says he's basque, for all intensive purposes, seeing as
> navarra/iruña is the historic capital of the basque country.

Interestingly, only the Basques claim that Navarre is part of the Basque
country ... Navarrans think of themselves as Navarrans, not Basques.

And it's "for all intents and purposes", not "for all intensive purposes"

Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash

>Interestingly, only the Basques claim that Navarre is part of the
Basque
>country ... Navarrans think of themselves as Navarrans, not Basques.

Do you know anyone from navarra/iruña? Have you ever been there, and
going for San Fermin to get drunk and gored by a bull doesn't count? If
you have then perhaps you would know that there are plenty of people
from there who consider themselves basque, specifically those who live
in the northern, mountainous areas. i'll grant you the fact that in the
southern parts that my not be the case.