those with multiple road bikes - do you have the same pedals and saddle?

sma

Apr 24, 2006
i'm going to have two road bikes in the coming months. i will be using both bikes for the same thing - daily rides during the week and longer rides on the weekends.

so, for those that have more than one road bike, do you have the same saddle and pedals on each bike? i can understand using the same pedals so that you only need one pair of shoes, but i'm not sure if i should use the same saddle or not.

sma said:
i'm going to have two road bikes in the coming months. i will be using both bikes for the same thing - daily rides during the week and longer rides on the weekends.

so, for those that have more than one road bike, do you have the same saddle and pedals on each bike? i can understand using the same pedals so that you only need one pair of shoes, but i'm not sure if i should use the same saddle or not.
============================================================
I've got three road bikes(ok, a couple more but I don't ride them). I have the same pedals - Look CX7 because I inner pronate on my left foot and they're the only pedal that sorts that.

Seats - a different brand/model on each bike. Race bike - light, less comfortable seat:eek: . Other training bikes - diffenent seats - I figure it puts the pressure etc in different places and gives my saddle sores something to think about:)

Some people get to like only one model of seat and so use that for more than one bike.

sma said:

Same pedals for the reason you state, no shoe problems.

Different saddles. When I bought my second bike I also bought the same brand/model of saddle as my first bike. I do not really like the saddle that is on the second bike, but not enough to pitch it. It just makes the first bike's saddle feel better.

I have multiple bikes but not all road. However, I use the same pedals on all of them (Eggbeaters); I like the minimalist approach. I also have Shimano SPD-SLs which I swap onto the road bike when I want a little extra platform for comfort and power transfer on longer rides. I use different saddles on my bikes. I like the variety.:D

sma said:

Five bikes, I go with the same seat and the same pedals for all of them. I like having the same feel no matter which bike I'm on. I figure when you find a seat that you like, go for it

sma said:

For all my bikes, I use LOOK pedals.

But in respect of saddles, I use different saddles for my four bikes.
Two of each of my bikes have the same saddles (Selle Italia and San Marco).

yep same saddle and pedals for each bike. found a saddle that works for me many years ago, have a bunch of them now. pedals - only because I use the same shoes. looking to move to a different pedal but it would mean buying many sets of pedals.

cdr

sma said:

Speedplay X2's and Selle San Marco Aspide's on both bikes. I have a third set of Speedplays and Aspide in case I want to build up a third bike or if I need a spare. To go one further, I use the same model bar as well on both bikes. I like all of my contact points to remained unchanged.

Seven road bikes, all with Look classic pedals. Saddles vary, my butt isn't too picky. I've riden 3 or 4 different ones 5 plus hours with no problem. proper adjustment (height, fore/aft) is probably more important than saddle make/model.

6 road bikes. 5 SPD, 1 with Speedplay Zero Ti's for racing. 2 Spd shoes, 1 for rainy days. 1 carbon fiber shoe for the Speedplays.

2 same saddles - Selle Viper, very comfy but heavy 320 g seat. 4 other different saddles (Selle Apside Arrowhead, Fizik Arionne).

capwater said:
Seven road bikes, all with Look classic pedals. Saddles vary, my butt isn't too picky. I've riden 3 or 4 different ones 5 plus hours with no problem. proper adjustment (height, fore/aft) is probably more important than saddle make/model.
Totally agree re seats. It's what your butt gets used to(when set up correctly). Had to tell a friend who got a good road bike that when he asked me what a comfortable saddle to buy would be.
I recently got an Arione to try thinking it would be better - sure it is - a little better but it's still only a bike seat(and expensive too).

Same pedals but got a different seat. The seat that I had on my other bike was very comfortable so I don't know why I did not have them switch out the seats when I purchased the new bike. New seat if okay, too. I have not had much issues with seats like some folks so I guess it was just not that critical to me.

I have three road and yes they all match, different levels of performance one the pedal side, however they do match.

Two road bikes, both with Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals. Different seats though. Still sorting which one I prefer (beyond my beloved Rolls).:)

Bigbananabike said:
Originally Posted by capwater
Totally agree re seats. It's what your butt gets used to(when set up correctly). Had to tell a friend who got a good road bike that when he asked me what a comfortable saddle to buy would be.
I recently got an Arione to try thinking it would be better - sure it is - a little better but it's still only a bike seat(and expensive too).
further to this, would it be a case of "horses for courses" with the saddles?
if you used one road bike for say 'crits' and another for far longer rides, as long as the saddle's geometry matched and still fitted your sit bones, then you could vary the actual saddles?
ie; for crits something like a selle italia SLR while for the longer ride bike use the selle italia SLR gel flow...
if that makes sense.

I have 2 road bikes. One I keep in my office at work for a quick lunchtime work out and my weekend bike for longer rides. Same saddle on both but I only use the look style pedals on the weekend bike. The office bike just has rat traps.