Thought for the night

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Geoff Bowles, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Geoff Bowles

    Geoff Bowles Guest

    For a group that purports to be about cycling, an awful lot of contributers seem to be obsessed with
    cars and motorists... If you can't say something nice, it's best not to say anything!!!

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Geoff Bowles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For a group that purports to be about cycling, an awful lot of
    contributers
    > seem to be obsessed with cars and motorists... If you can't say something nice, it's best not to
    > say anything!!!

    Motorists who are courteous, give me plenty of room, signal their intentions well in advance, accept
    me as a road user with equal rights but slightly different needs and do not appear to be on a one
    person mission to kill me are very nice.

    This includes the majority of all motorists I encounter every day.

    :~)

    > For a group that purports to be about cycling, an awful lot of contributers seem to be obsessed
    > with cars and motorists...

    On the whole I find ones needs to be if one is to have any chance of using the roads effectively
    and safely.

    Colin

  4. "Geoff Bowles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For a group that purports to be about cycling, an awful lot of
    contributers
    > seem to be obsessed with cars and motorists... If you can't say something nice, it's best not to
    > say anything!!!

    That sounds like a troll that hardly merits a reply, but I will. Perhaps in family or business
    relationships, there may be some truth in that statement in certain circumstances, but as an
    absolute philosophical statement it's nonsense. That would, for example, leave no scope for
    challenging political oppression and exploitation, environmental damage, economic deprivation and
    everything else that's wrong in the world.

    As cyclists, we are a minority of road users, and like any minority are at risk of suffering, and I
    would say do suffer, direct and indirect discrimination from the majority - of road users and
    planners - whether conscious or unconscious, deliberate or unintentional. Among other road users,
    those that put us most at risk are usually "cars and motorists". It should be unsurprising then,
    that they attract comment here.

    Rich

  5. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "Geoff Bowles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > For a group that purports to be about cycling, an awful lot of contributers seem to be obsessed
    > with cars and motorists...

    > If you can't say something nice, it's best not to say anything!!!

    Who said that? Eugenio Pacelli?

  6. >> If you can't say something nice, it's best not to say anything!!!

    >Who said that? Eugenio Pacelli?

    Nah - it was Thumper in "Bambi" - his mother made him say it as a way to repeat what his father had
    told him. "If you can't say sumthing nice, then don't say nuthin' at all"

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**[email protected]*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. John Blake

    John Blake Guest

    In message id <[email protected]> on Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:16:56 +0100, Tony
    W wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

    >Motorists who are courteous, give me plenty of room, signal their intentions well in advance,
    >accept me as a road user with equal rights but slightly different needs and do not appear to be on
    >a one person mission to kill me are very nice.
    >
    >This includes the majority of all motorists I encounter every day.

    IME, this motorist is about 1% of the total on the road. At the other extreme I would say it is
    about 2% who are the converse. Fortunately the 97% in the middle and I have a tolerable working road
    sharing relationship.

    --
    If you must reply by email remove SPAM BLOKA and hope your message isn't deleted on sight.