thoughts about a custom blue ridge litespeed

Claire Petersky

Guest
The blue ridge litespeed that's on clearance is such a nice bike, but it's
too big for me. Still, it got me thinking about a custom blue ridge. If I
went this route, it means I'd probably leave my LBS and go over to my
husband's.

Your thoughts?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Claire Petersky wrote:

> The blue ridge litespeed that's on clearance is such a nice bike, but
> it's too big for me. Still, it got me thinking about a custom blue
> ridge. If I went this route, it means I'd probably leave my LBS and
> go over to my husband's.
>
> Your thoughts?

I like Ti bikes because they have an elegant, low-key appearance without worry
of paint being scratched. With a brushed finish, just rub them out with
Scotchbrite or fine steel wool. The less zooty ones have straight guage tubes
(not butted) that are actually more dent resistant than steel frames of the same
weight, and probably aluminum ones too. The downside is the expense, but
amortized over the 30+ years most bikes can last, you'll hardly feel the pain.
Once you've been riding long enough to know exactly what you want, and you can't
get it off the shelf, a custom frame makes sense.

Litespeed's parent company, American something-or-other, has an outlet store in
Tennessee with *great* prices. They sell on eBay too, officially. It's al
legit. Check it out if you're not looking there already. They might have a
Blue Ridge on sale that fits. I don't have the exact name of the place offhand,
but I can get it by tomorrow.

Matt O.

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> The blue ridge litespeed that's on clearance is such a nice bike, but it's
> too big for me. Still, it got me thinking about a custom blue ridge. If I
> went this route, it means I'd probably leave my LBS and go over to my
> husband's.
>
> Your thoughts?

how much is a custom litespeed?

ooooohhhh, they have financing!

http://www.litespeed.com/2005/finance.aspx

har, har, har. not sure why i find that so funny.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The blue ridge litespeed that's on clearance is such a nice bike, but it's
> too big for me. Still, it got me thinking about a custom blue ridge. If I
> went this route, it means I'd probably leave my LBS and go over to my
> husband's.
>
> Your thoughts?

They are not cheap, but for a custom frame take alook at Moots.
A Moots frame will last a lifetime unless you get T-boned by a semi.

Another frame to check out is a Habenero custom.

I looked at some Litespeeds before my LBS stopped selling them because of
quality issues.

YMMV

HAND

"H. M. Leary" wrote:
> A Moots frame will last a lifetime unless you get T-boned by a semi.

That's what they said about custom steel frames 20 years ago. But most folks
get the itch for a new bike long before the old one is worn out.

The real question is whether a custom frame gives better performance. Except
in very unusual cases (height, weight, weird proportions), I'm inclined to
think they don't. I've even seen custom frames listed for sale by the owner
because they "didn't fit right!"

Art "still riding a 20-year-old stock SL frame" Harris

In article <[email protected]>,
"Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "H. M. Leary" wrote:
> > A Moots frame will last a lifetime unless you get T-boned by a semi.

> That's what they said about custom steel frames 20 years ago. But most folks
> get the itch for a new bike long before the old one is worn out.
>
> The real question is whether a custom frame gives better performance. Except
> in very unusual cases (height, weight, weird proportions), I'm inclined to
> think they don't. I've even seen custom frames listed for sale by the owner
> because they "didn't fit right!"
>
> Art "still riding a 20-year-old stock SL frame" Harris

I still have a 1958 Raleigh 3 speed from my youth.

I grew up into weird proportions. OK. I grew up wierd!

A custom made bike just sounds so cool, but youy are right about the fit.

HAND

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The blue ridge litespeed that's on clearance is such a nice bike, but it's
> too big for me. Still, it got me thinking about a custom blue ridge. If I
> went this route, it means I'd probably leave my LBS and go over to my
> husband's.
>
> Your thoughts?

I love my Blue Ridge, love it, love it. However mine is a 2000 model
so I can't comment on the new version. The thing I love about it is
that it can do anything and everything, maybe except serious single
track. I've had mine on rocky carriage roads (with cyclocross tires),
multi-day tours and my usual rides. It is as quick as my triathlon
bike, but doesn't like to keep going that fast (wider tires?). I'm
looking forward to the day when I'm on a long tour and come across a
triathlon. I plan to leave the packs in the transition area and ride
with the racks.

However when I saw an ad for a new motorcycle for $6,000 I thought to
myself "gee for 3,000+ more I could have gotten a motor!"

Andy

> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> please substitute yahoo for mousepotato to reply
> Home of the meditative cyclist:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
> Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

"Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The real question is whether a custom frame gives better performance.

Except
> in very unusual cases (height, weight, weird proportions), I'm inclined to
> think they don't.

I'm one of those weird cases -- very long legs, very short torso, compared
to the rest of the female population, much less compared to men, for whom
most bikes are made. I have made some modifications to my standard road bike
to get a better fit, but the idea that I wouldn't have to retrofit a bike to
work for me sounds very appealing.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

"H. M. Leary" wrote: (clip)A Moots frame will last a lifetime unless you
get T-boned by a semi.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you get T-boned by a semi, chances are that will be define your lifetime.

Have you been looking at any other custom bikes, Claire? Mine, direct
from the builder, not through a shop, has been wonderful, so it can
indeed make a difference. As much as you ride, you shouldn't limit
yourself to discounted bikes. If the kids each agree to work for a
year before starting college, you can dip into the education fund.

On the day that I picked up my Spectrum, Tom was in the process of
fitting a young fellow from SF who had flown out (Allentown PA) just
for his fit. Do the same and you can visit the Lehigh Valley Welodrome
and, with good timning, the Trexlertown bike swap--a giant flea market
for cycling stuff.

Why the "his" and "hers" bike shops? --Roy Zipris

"Roy Zipris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Why the "his" and "hers" bike shops? --Roy Zipris

Even more funny, they're four block apart from each other. It just happened
I bought my bike from one place, my husband from the other.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> The real question is whether a custom frame gives better performance.

> Except
>> in very unusual cases (height, weight, weird proportions), I'm inclined to
>> think they don't.

> I'm one of those weird cases -- very long legs, very short torso, compared
> to the rest of the female population, much less compared to men, for whom
> most bikes are made. I have made some modifications to my standard road bike
> to get a better fit, but the idea that I wouldn't have to retrofit a bike to
> work for me sounds very appealing.

I can see how you would want a custom bike. Though, were I you, I don't
think I would be looking at litespeed. Of course, I figured out a while
ago that I definitely have a bad case of reverse snobbery. I'm much
more interested in talking to the guy riding an older bike with DT
shifters or bar-cons than the guy riding the Dura-Ace equipped
wonder-bike.

Of course that could be because generally the guy on the older bike is
less likely to be wheelsucking me.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even

"Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> I can see how you would want a custom bike. Though, were I you, I don't
> think I would be looking at litespeed.

You think litespeed is worse/better in your snobbery thing than a Seven? I
decided Seven was too far over the top. Most of the blue ridge owners I know
like them.

TiCycles unfortunately seems to think that a cyclocross bike is the same as
a touring bike, otherwise I'd give that local company more consideration.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Of course, I figured out a while
> ago that I definitely have a bad case of reverse snobbery. I'm much
> more interested in talking to the guy riding an older bike with DT
> shifters or bar-cons than the guy riding the Dura-Ace equipped
> wonder-bike.

i'm a reverse reverse snob if that makes sense. more to the point i guess
is that i'm a reverse snob who unashamedly owns a seven. what's interesting
to me are well thought out bikes that serve their purpose well.

besides it's a pretty good motivator to be riding an expensive bike. ride
slow and people label you a poseur. even with fenders & a rack.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> I can see how you would want a custom bike. Though, were I you, I don't
>> think I would be looking at litespeed.

> You think litespeed is worse/better in your snobbery thing than a Seven? I
> decided Seven was too far over the top. Most of the blue ridge owners I know
> like them.

I guess a touch better, though who cares what I think? I suppose one of
my problems with getting an expensive bike is that I destroy bike parts
at a fairly good clip. Wheels, forks, frames, derailleurs, seats, racks,
bottle cages, etc. I'm not in Chalo's league, but I'm doing fairly well
for an amateur.

I tend to destroy everything though, that's why I gave up wearing a watch
a long time ago.

I really do like the look of the SOMA frames though. I've been toying
with the idea of getting on of those for my next road bike.

> TiCycles unfortunately seems to think that a cyclocross bike is the same as
> a touring bike, otherwise I'd give that local company more consideration.

Hmm, I've never really looked into them that much. Usually I just stop
into the store because they're the only one I can find who stocks some
small part I need. So, I've never really looked into them as a whole
bike supplier per se.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only

"Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

> I guess a touch better, though who cares what I think? I suppose one of
> my problems with getting an expensive bike is that I destroy bike parts
> at a fairly good clip. Wheels, forks, frames, derailleurs, seats, racks,
> bottle cages, etc. I'm not in Chalo's league, but I'm doing fairly well
> for an amateur.

I guess the only thing I have that's original on my existing bike is the
frame, handlebars, and cranks. I might have more except for the time my
husband drove it into the garage while it was on top of the car.

> I tend to destroy everything though, that's why I gave up wearing a watch
> a long time ago.

Me too -- my husband complains that I have to replace my watches twice a
year.

But this to me then points to the need for quality components -- if the
cheap stuff is just going to break, it might be worth it to spend a little
more. Not for Dura-Ace, but for Ultegra, at least.

> I really do like the look of the SOMA frames though. I've been toying
> with the idea of getting on of those for my next road bike.

What about Vanilla? http://www.vanillabicycles.com/ They're down in
Portland...

> > TiCycles unfortunately seems to think that a cyclocross bike is the same

as
> > a touring bike, otherwise I'd give that local company more

consideration.

> Hmm, I've never really looked into them that much. Usually I just stop
> into the store because they're the only one I can find who stocks some
> small part I need. So, I've never really looked into them as a whole
> bike supplier per se.

They're conveniently located off the BG -- clearly oriented to ride-by
traffic, as opposed to people who arrive by car.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

I ride a custom Litespeed. It's custom because I wanted a slight variation
on the standard geometry - lower BB, longer chainstays and toptube, plus I
wanted rack eyelets. Sure I could have gotten a Habanero for less but I
wanted the butted tubing. I plan to ride that bike more then 50,000 miles,
which is what I've done with the last four bikes I've owned before that one.
Note that they all still work fine and they all have DuraAce. I tour, race,
commute, club-ride and just plain ride my bikes about 10,000 miles a year
and have been doing that for 30 years.

My custom bike isn't any faster then the previous litespeed or the Kestrel
before that or the Miyata Pro (steel). It handles slightly differently and
it's easier to attach a rack or fenders.

Would you talk with me on a ride?

Bruce

Bruce Frech <bfrech@no_spam_verizon.net> wrote:
> "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Of course, I figured out a while
>> ago that I definitely have a bad case of reverse snobbery. I'm much
>> more interested in talking to the guy riding an older bike with DT
>> shifters or bar-cons than the guy riding the Dura-Ace equipped
>> wonder-bike.
>>

> I ride a custom Litespeed. It's custom because I wanted a slight variation
> on the standard geometry - lower BB, longer chainstays and toptube, plus I
> wanted rack eyelets. Sure I could have gotten a Habanero for less but I
> wanted the butted tubing. I plan to ride that bike more then 50,000 miles,
> which is what I've done with the last four bikes I've owned before that one.
> Note that they all still work fine and they all have DuraAce. I tour, race,
> commute, club-ride and just plain ride my bikes about 10,000 miles a year
> and have been doing that for 30 years.
>
> My custom bike isn't any faster then the previous litespeed or the Kestrel
> before that or the Miyata Pro (steel). It handles slightly differently and
> it's easier to attach a rack or fenders.
>
> Would you talk with me on a ride?

Maybe if you stop top posting.

;)

Don't get me wrong, one of the guys at work rides a Dura-Ace Litespeed.
He not only has Dura-Ace and team kit, he rides in a team. I get along
fine with him, and we BS about bikes all the time. What I object to is
all the wankers I run into on the trails here (never roads for some odd
reason). It really irritates me to pass some fellow and look behind me
later to find him 12 inches behind my wheel. And every time it is some
guy on a tri-bike or a really nice new bike. I think that's where some
of my snobbery is coming from.

I'm thinking about making a sign to attach to my carradice bag.

"Not a Tow Truck"

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even
where there is no river.
-- Nikita Khrushchev

"Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What I object to is
> all the wankers I run into on the trails here (never roads for some odd
> reason). It really irritates me to pass some fellow and look behind me
> later to find him 12 inches behind my wheel. And every time it is some
> guy on a tri-bike or a really nice new bike.

If you weren't so damn fast, you wouldn't have all these people trying to
draft you. No one ever tries to draft *me*.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> What I object to is
>> all the wankers I run into on the trails here (never roads for some odd
>> reason). It really irritates me to pass some fellow and look behind me
>> later to find him 12 inches behind my wheel. And every time it is some
>> guy on a tri-bike or a really nice new bike.

> If you weren't so damn fast, you wouldn't have all these people trying to
> draft you. No one ever tries to draft *me*.

:p

But I'm always in a rush to get where I'm going! It's not like I'm
training, or trying for my personal best. I'm just late! My substitute
for a time trial is go the long way to work, but leave (unintentionally)
about ten minutes later than I should have.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Remember that as a teenager you are in the last stage of your life when