Road Cycling · Public discussion

Thoughts about the ride leader gig?

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 5 posts · 356 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
22 March 2006
Last activity
23 March 2006
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
356
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Have you lead rides for your bike club?
    Do you like being a ride leader?
    What kind of rides do you like leading?
    What kind of rides do you like going on?

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  2. Hi Claire-

    Quoted message said:

    Have you lead rides for your bike club?


    I led some informal (non-club) rides last spring & summer for a group of
    folks preparing for the Seattle to Vancouver BC ride. I enjoyed that
    experience enough to go through the training/certification process to
    lead rides for the local club. I have led or co-led about 6 club rides
    so far.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you like being a ride leader?


    Yes, I have enjoyed the leader role so far. I've not had to deal with
    any "incidents" yet, however.

    Quoted message said:

    What kind of rides do you like leading?


    So far I've just led rides for folks new to group riding. I've found it
    rewarding to be able to impart my small amount of knowledge of group
    riding, and to see the smiles on the faces at the end of the ride.

    Quoted message said:

    What kind of rides do you like going on?


    The "newcomers" rides have been fun, but I personally prefer a bit
    higher pace, and greater distance. The non-club rides I did last year
    were in this faster, farther category. I plan to offer a few of these
    through the club this summer.

    John Calnan
    http://www.calnan-web.com/weblog

  3. Claire Petersky said:

    Have you lead rides for your bike club? Do you like being a ride leader?
    What kind of rides do you like leading? What kind of rides do you like
    going on?

    I lead our Sunday Social Ride occasionally. If I can't, I try to make
    sure someone does! This is our main ongoing outreach opportunity, so it's
    important it goes on unless the weather is truly terrible.

    I don't mind being a ride leader, and I'm happy to lead anything that
    needs leading. I don't do it a lot because others have already taken the
    lead, so to speak, plus I'm often too busy to make commitments.

    I think all clubs should try to have something for everyone, plus an
    atmosphere that makes it easy and comfortable for newcomers to join.
    Besides a no-drop policy, it's important that people never feel like
    they're holding anyone up. So besides a committed "sweep" group, bigger
    rides should have predetermined shorter options, etc. The faster and more
    experienced folks will always find ways to entertain themselves.

    I really like the idea of riding to some scenic/historical/culinary
    destination, but most people have a hard time getting back on the bike for
    the ride home after sitting awhile.

    Matt O.

  4. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Have you lead rides for your bike club?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you like being a ride leader?

    Being a leader is OK. If it's a familiar route, I personally like sweeping
    (being the last guy at the back). That's where the unusual stuff tends to
    happen.

    Quoted message said:

    What kind of rides do you like leading?

    I don't lead a lot of rides, but last year I led everything from a "very
    slow" 10 m.p.h. maximum 20 mile ride to a fast century. Leading a fast
    out-and-back century with the wind against us for the back half was a bit
    much for me, though.

    Quoted message said:

    What kind of rides do you like going on?

    Bike rides 😉

  5. Claire Petersky said:

    Have you lead rides for your bike club?
    Do you like being a ride leader?
    What kind of rides do you like leading?
    What kind of rides do you like going on?

    I regularly lead rides for my club, the Capital City Cyclists, here in
    Tallahassee. The term "lead" is a bit of a misnomer since I actually
    ride sweep.

    The ride leader provides a map and cue sheet to those who want one and
    gets each rider to sign a waiver that says that neither I, nor the
    club, is responsible for nuthin' nohow even if it is our fault..

    Most of our rides have a long and a short option. If there is a short
    option, the ride leader rides sweep on that one. While serving as a
    ride leader I usually ride quite a bit slower than if I am riding at my
    own pace, but it gives me the opportunity to meet new riders, many of
    whom have become good friends.

    Since I am riding sweep, many of the riders I ride with are folks who
    have recently gotten into riding and don't have a lot of experience
    riding with groups. I use that opportunity to offer tips on group
    riding safety and ettiquette.

    I normally volunteer to lead the sort of rides that I really enjoy,
    i.e. ones that avoid city or suburban traffic and go out into the North
    Florida/South Georgia countryside.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.