Thoughts after 1st 400km on my Recumbent Trike.

Grolch

Guest
I've had the Catrike Road for about two weeks now. Let me say, comfortable.
The whole visibility issue still preys on me though. I'm probably the
obvious newbie, Flashing LED's and Head-light forward, two 7 LED flashers on
the seat stays rear. Always fly the flag (and a small netherlands flag to go
with my Oranje Netherlands National Soccer Jersey). I know, I know way OTT.

So I ride in Victoria, British Columbia area (South Vancouver Island,
Canada). I've done many great trips along the Galloping Goose and Lochside
Trail Systems. Ther's lots of steep and/or long climbs and descents on most
routes so around here you have to deal with it.What surprised me most was
the responsive steering. At low speeds it's great. At higher speeds it can
get downright scary. Especially if the descent requires breaking and
steering. I've had it up to 62k so far. I don't think I'd want to go any
faster, at least not yet. Don't get me wrong though, I am lifelong biker,
but this is really different. Overall, I am somewhat slower. 18.5kph avg vs
21.4 avg on a roadified Bridgstone MB1.

If anyone has some tips on control at speed, maintenance or anything that
would be good to know I'd appreciate it.

Grolsch

______________________

Grolch said:
[...]

I have a tadpole trike and I found the best way to stop from high speeds is to pull back on the brake levers with my fingers only. The brakes will self adjust to the pulling forces from side to side and I am able to stop in a much more controlled manner. I think you are smart to not want to go too fast on a trike, I mean what's the point?

staying alive,
Mark

"Grolch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I've had the Catrike Road for about two weeks now. Let me say,
> comfortable. The whole visibility issue still preys on me though. I'm
> probably the obvious newbie, Flashing LED's and Head-light forward, two 7
> LED flashers on the seat stays rear. Always fly the flag (and a small
> netherlands flag to go with my Oranje Netherlands National Soccer Jersey).
> I know, I know way OTT.
>
> So I ride in Victoria, British Columbia area (South Vancouver Island,
> Canada). I've done many great trips along the Galloping Goose and Lochside
> Trail Systems. Ther's lots of steep and/or long climbs and descents on
> most routes so around here you have to deal with it.What surprised me most
> was the responsive steering. At low speeds it's great. At higher speeds it
> can get downright scary. Especially if the descent requires breaking and
> steering. I've had it up to 62k so far. I don't think I'd want to go any
> faster, at least not yet. Don't get me wrong though, I am lifelong biker,
> but this is really different. Overall, I am somewhat slower. 18.5kph avg
> vs 21.4 avg on a roadified Bridgstone MB1.
>
> If anyone has some tips on control at speed, maintenance or anything that
> would be good to know I'd appreciate it.

Trikes are not designed for high speed; they are designed for low speed.
Accept that fact about them and you can have a world of fun. Go for speed
and you can easily be killed. The damn things are unstable at high speed.
The sooner you learn this, the better.

Trikes are best ridden on bike paths and quiet residential roads. Do not
ever even think about taking them out on a busy highway. It would be better
to just shoot yourself in the head and get it over with.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Trikes are not designed for high speed; they are designed for low speed.
> Accept that fact about them and you can have a world of fun. Go for speed
> and you can easily be killed. The damn things are unstable at high speed.
> The sooner you learn this, the better.
>
> Trikes are best ridden on bike paths and quiet residential roads. Do not
> ever even think about taking them out on a busy highway. It would be
> better to just shoot yourself in the head and get it over with.

Happy I did not read this before starting triking with my Leitra ;-)

On flats its very near the speeds from my faired Kingcycle -its harder to
climb with (its own weight and if I use it I mostly carrying some goods
with me, around 20-25 kg. Top speed with Leitra downhilling was around 90
km/h with no problem.

I avoid bikepaths whenever possible (it was one of the reasons I bought the
Leitra, because I dont have to use them with a trike in Austria) - and
after 3 years and 15000 km usage I would say Rasmussen (the builder) did a
real good job..

Lui

"L.Frimmel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> Trikes are not designed for high speed; they are designed for low speed.
>> Accept that fact about them and you can have a world of fun. Go for speed
>> and you can easily be killed. The damn things are unstable at high speed.
>> The sooner you learn this, the better.
>>
>> Trikes are best ridden on bike paths and quiet residential roads. Do not
>> ever even think about taking them out on a busy highway. It would be
>> better to just shoot yourself in the head and get it over with.

> Happy I did not read this before starting triking with my Leitra ;-)
>
> On flats its very near the speeds from my faired Kingcycle -its harder to
> climb with (its own weight and if I use it I mostly carrying some goods
> with me, around 20-25 kg. Top speed with Leitra downhilling was around 90
> km/h with no problem.

It is just a matter of time until Herr Frimmel becomes road kill like so
many of his kind. Of course, there is NEVER a problem until all of a
suddenly there IS a problem, but by then it can be too late. It is a
thousand times better to be safe than sorry. Anyone going downhill at 90
km/h on a trike is crazy as a hoot owl and I do not even want to know such a
fool.

> I avoid bikepaths whenever possible (it was one of the reasons I bought
> the
> Leitra, because I dont have to use them with a trike in Austria) - and
> after 3 years and 15000 km usage I would say Rasmussen (the builder) did a
> real good job..

Anyone who is avoiding bike paths does not live in the same universe as I
do. Enuf said!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"L.Frimmel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> Anyone who is avoiding bike paths does not live in the same universe as I
>> do. Enuf said!

> I dont know if there are statistics in your universe - in mine, statistics
> are telling that using bikepaths sets one more on risk than using streets.
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radweg
> http://www-2.informatik.umu.se/adfc/fdf/fdf-173.html

Never believe anything you read in wikipedia. It is just chock full of ****!

There is no way bike paths compare to streets when it comes to the risk of
getting hit by a motor vehicle. Please use some common sense before you post
to this newsgroup.

>> It is just a matter of time until Herr Frimmel becomes road kill like so
>> many of his kind.

> Lets see - a little more than 55 years on bicycles, including 8 years
> racing, nearly 40 years carfree .. and - in discussions preferring facts
> over predictions ;-)

You could be hit and killed tomorrow as easy as pie. It happens all the
time. Slow down and use those bike paths. That is what they are there for.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"L.Frimmel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> Anyone who is avoiding bike paths does not live in the same universe as I
>> do. Enuf said!

> I dont know if there are statistics in your universe - in mine, statistics
> are telling that using bikepaths sets one more on risk than using streets.
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radweg
> http://www-2.informatik.umu.se/adfc/fdf/fdf-173.html
>
>> It is just a matter of time until Herr Frimmel becomes road kill like so
>> many of his kind.

> Lets see - a little more than 55 years on bicycles, including 8 years
> racing, nearly 40 years carfree .. and - in discussions preferring facts
> over predictions ;-)
>
> Lui

Keep in mind though that Herr Frimmel is making this statement as an
Austrian. The difference between Europe and North America in terms of
vehicle respect for bicycles can't even be compared. If I lived in The
Netherlands, for instance, I wouldn't fear the roads, even though the bike
specific routes are so numerous. Every (NL) city has well marked bike lanes
where the bikes and motor vehicles are forced to mix. England, on the other
hand, is an eff'n nightmare, for those of us not used o the traffic patterns
and narrow, limited vision roads. Even in the country side, the high hedges
and curvy routes make long line vision impossible.

> "L.Frimmel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone who is avoiding bike paths does not live in the same universe as
>>> do. Enuf said!

>> I dont know if there are statistics in your universe - in mine,
>> statistics
>> are telling that using bikepaths sets one more on risk than using
>> streets.
>>
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radweg
>> http://www-2.informatik.umu.se/adfc/fdf/fdf-173.html
>>
>>> It is just a matter of time until Herr Frimmel becomes road kill like so
>>> many of his kind.

>> Lets see - a little more than 55 years on bicycles, including 8 years
>> racing, nearly 40 years carfree .. and - in discussions preferring facts
>> over predictions ;-)
>>
>> Lui

> Keep in mind though that Herr Frimmel is making this statement as an
> Austrian. The difference between Europe and North America in terms of
> vehicle respect for bicycles can't even be compared. If I lived in The
> Netherlands, for instance, I wouldn't fear the roads, even though the bike
> specific routes are so numerous. Every (NL) city has well marked bike
> lanes where the bikes and motor vehicles are forced to mix. England, on
> the other hand, is an eff'n nightmare, for those of us not used o the
> traffic patterns and narrow, limited vision roads. Even in the country
> side, the high hedges and curvy routes make long line vision impossible.

Even if everything you say above is true, bike paths will always be much
safer than any road or street which you are sharing with motor vehicles.
Bike lanes are better than no bike lanes, but you have to be very careful on
them nonetheless.

I do not much like those who speak against bike paths. Not everyone in the
world is a good cyclist and bad cyclists need some place safe to ride too.
Bike paths are heaven on earth and I love them.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in

> I do not much like those who speak against bike paths. Not everyone in
> the world is a good cyclist and bad cyclists need some place safe to
> ride too. Bike paths are heaven on earth and I love them.

What happens when you want to go somewhere the path doesn't go? In my
city, paths are extremely conjested, narrow and don't go anywhere I would
want to go. Bicycles have been around much much longer than paths and have
always had to share the road. Just cycle with care, assume none of the
drivers can see you. You can't live life in a bubble. Go where YOU want
to go, not where some beaurocrats have decided to pave a path.

"GoHabsGo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in
>
>> I do not much like those who speak against bike paths. Not everyone in
>> the world is a good cyclist and bad cyclists need some place safe to
>> ride too. Bike paths are heaven on earth and I love them.

> What happens when you want to go somewhere the path doesn't go? In my
> city, paths are extremely conjested, narrow and don't go anywhere I would
> want to go. Bicycles have been around much much longer than paths and
> have
> always had to share the road. Just cycle with care, assume none of the
> drivers can see you. You can't live life in a bubble. Go where YOU want
> to go, not where some beaurocrats have decided to pave a path.

Well, good grief, of course there are not all that many bike paths, but when
there is a bike path available you should take it rather than the street. In
my experience, the only times a bike path gets congested is on summer
weekends. Any other time you will have them pretty much to yourself.

I think bike paths in urban metro areas are especially desirable. I would go
out of my way somewhat to stay on a bike path in preference to venturing on
to the street with heavy traffic. Low recumbent trikes are a major
complication in heavy and congested urban traffic conditions.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "GoHabsGo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>
>>> I do not much like those who speak against bike paths. Not everyone
>>> in the world is a good cyclist and bad cyclists need some place safe
>>> to ride too. Bike paths are heaven on earth and I love them.

>> What happens when you want to go somewhere the path doesn't go? In
>> my city, paths are extremely conjested, narrow and don't go anywhere
>> I would want to go. Bicycles have been around much much longer than
>> paths and have
>> always had to share the road. Just cycle with care, assume none of
>> the drivers can see you. You can't live life in a bubble. Go where
>> YOU want to go, not where some beaurocrats have decided to pave a
>> path.

> Well, good grief, of course there are not all that many bike paths,
> but when there is a bike path available you should take it rather than
> the street. In my experience, the only times a bike path gets
> congested is on summer weekends. Any other time you will have them
> pretty much to yourself.

Not true in London, Ontario. Paths are always busy, except after dark.
Not only that, they are for the most part only centered around the river
in the core. For us living in the edges of the city, it would mean
riding about 15Km one way just to get to the path! Much easier for me to
head out of town on the back roads.

> I think bike paths in urban metro areas are especially desirable. I
> would go out of my way somewhat to stay on a bike path in preference
> to venturing on to the street with heavy traffic. Low recumbent trikes
> are a major complication in heavy and congested urban traffic
> conditions.

I think that the cities would be much better served with bicycle lanes
giving us more room to manouver with other vehicles. I don't think low
'bents are a good choice for city roads.

Larry

I've had two serious accidents on a bike and both were on bike paths.
Many bike paths have terrible lines of sight with many winding curves.
If you are interested in going 5 mph the are fine, otherwise I find the
road much safer.

My only caveat to this is Rails to Trails conversions. Old rails lines
tend to be long and straight.