Thoughts and opinions on ITM "The Stem" magnesium road stem

ultrafit2004

Apr 21, 2004
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or heard much about the ITM "The Stem" magnesium road stem?
I don't see much for reviews about them and ITM no longer has them in their lineup.
Thank you,

ultrafit2004 said:
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or heard much about the ITM "The Stem" magnesium road stem?
I don't see much for reviews about them and ITM no longer has them in their lineup.
Thank you,
Check out roadbikereview.com. They trashed it for lack of durabilty (clamp breaking). I have also seen photo's of the stem broken in half. The new Ritchey WCS is pretty close in weight, costs 1/3 as much and you never hear anyone complain about it breaking. Syntace makes a light stem too that I hear is nice. Personally I use the Ritchey WCS OS. I weighs somewhere in the 120 gram range in a 130mm length (117 grams according to weightweenies.starbike.com) and the four bolt design offers a nice stiff and safe coupling. I would never use a stem that has a history of breaking. If you hear a stem snap, the next snap you'll hear will probably be your collar bone.
:eek:

They have a TERRIBLE reputation for snapping without warning. I would never use one of them. PeterF has some great recommendations.

ghostpedal said:
They have a TERRIBLE reputation for snapping without warning. I would never use one of them. PeterF has some great recommendations.
Plus at $249 they aren't exactly giving "the Stem" away.
:eek:

they kept warrantying mine because of snapping, so therefore i give it a reputation of P.O.S.