Thoughts and prayers for a fellow MTBer

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by triguy98, Apr 26, 2005.

1. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGB0JFTG08E.html

"BRANDON - Alafia River State Park boasts some of the more popular mountain biking trails in Florida.

Some of the state's most treacherous, too.

Adam Smeaton, 34, found out how treacherous Tuesday morning when he somersaulted down a 60-foot ravine after his bike struck a tree root. Smeaton, visiting from Long Beach, Calif., was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital, where he remained Tuesday afternoon.

His condition was described as ``stable'' by authorities at the scene.

The incident occurred shortly after 10 a.m., authorities said, when Smeaton and three friends were mountain biking on the Gatorback River Loop, one of the park's toughest trails. Hundreds of cyclists use the park's trails because of its challenging terrain, park officials said."

Tags:

2. tyler_derden

tyler_derden New Member

Bummer! I hope he makes it AOK.

No prayers, however. I don't believe in magick.

TD

3. Army of One

Army of One New Member

ouch that sucks. prayers go out to him and his family if he has one. Get well soon

4. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

I dont pray, either, hence the "thoughts" part.... BUT the dude didnt need em. Ended up being released the same day. Landed right on his face, knocked him out cold. He knew who he was and who his friends were, but couldnt remember WHY he was there. After some tests, they released him. Lucky dude. I've gotten a little torn up myself on that same trail, and I never fell a full 30 feet.

5. Tmax1

Tmax1 New Member

Ouch! That's quite a fall.

This past weekend, a guy in our club was riding a trail at Oak Mountain State Park here in Alabama and was blindsided by a deer. The deer jumped the trail but squarely hit my buddy and knocked him into a tree breaking radius and ulna of his left arm.

What are the chances of that? Getting hit by a deer.

Another ouch.

6. Eden

Eden New Member

Almost happend to me in the city!! I went to college in Rochester NY and for a while I was commuting by bike to school. I used to go by a golf course on my way in and early early one morining and a deer jumped out right in front of me!! It at least looked like it nearly took me out and gave me the fright of my young life.
    Strangely enough for a road rider, and a city girl, I've almost been taken out by a number of wild things on my bike. Had a rabbit almost run into me and nearly had a young robin in my front wheel. I think I ran over a mouse or something one night, but it was too dark to really see. I heard the squeak and felt something squishy though!!!!

7. mjvande

mjvande Banned

You are downright CRIMINAL!

Mike