Thoughts/Input on Training Plan

Euskadi

May 28, 2007
Hi all,

I have been reading info from this forum and the wattage google forum over the last couple of years since I started training with Power (Sept 2006). Based on that info and the Coggan bible I put together a tranining plan with a focus on L3, SST, and L4 and some L5.

If you don't mind I would appreciate your input/comment on my training (and anyone else interested).

I aim for 10-11 hours a week on the bike, 5 workouts during the week (about 1 hr 10 m - 1hr 20m) and one long one during the weekend (about 4.5 hrs). Here is what I have been doing since Mid July:

M: 2x20 L4 at 95-100% FTP (305W)
T: 2X20 L4 at 95-100% FTP
W: 1x60 SST 90-92% FTP (300W)
Th:2X20 L4 at 95-100% FTP
F: 4X9-10m L5 at 110% FTP (330W) 1.5 mile climb
Sa: Off
Su: 4hrs at 82-88% FTP (260W)

I haven't tested FTP in probably a year, but I estimate it to be about 305-310W based on what I can do during the week (maybe a bit underestimated). The M-Th rides are on the KK road machine and using a PowerTap SL.

As mentioned I have been at this level of workout since July after taking off for six weeks due to a car bashing into me at the end of a ride and breaking my hand (and destroying my bike:mad:). I had a similar plan prior to accident which I started in Dec and FTP was approx. 300 at time of accident.

My goals is to simply raise FTP, and do a bunch of hilly century rides and cyclosportives in Europe (Marmotte, etc) and maybe someday try road races (crits are a little too hairy for me).

I guess my question is: is there anything else you think I should incorporate to continue see my FTP rise? I am a bit worried about plateauing but haven't seen it yet. I haven't felt the need to rest or take it easy for a week, so I just keep plowing through.

BTW I am 35 years old and weigh about 75kg (6' 1" tall).

Thanks for any all input
Euskadi

Euskadi said:
I guess my question is: is there anything else you think I should incorporate to continue see my FTP rise?
Yes, more rest. (Looks pretty hard to me)

Euskadi said:
Hi all,

I have been reading info from this forum and the wattage google forum over the last couple of years since I started training with Power (Sept 2006). Based on that info and the Coggan bible I put together a tranining plan with a focus on L3, SST, and L4 and some L5.

If you don't mind I would appreciate your input/comment on my training (and anyone else interested).

I aim for 10-11 hours a week on the bike, 5 workouts during the week (about 1 hr 10 m - 1hr 20m) and one long one during the weekend (about 4.5 hrs). Here is what I have been doing since Mid July:

I haven't tested FTP in probably a year, but I estimate it to be about 305-310W based on what I can do during the week (maybe a bit underestimated). The M-Th rides are on the KK road machine and using a PowerTap SL.

As mentioned I have been at this level of workout since July after taking off for six weeks due to a car bashing into me at the end of a ride and breaking my hand (and destroying my bike:mad:). I had a similar plan prior to accident which I started in Dec and FTP was approx. 300 at time of accident.

My goals is to simply raise FTP, and do a bunch of hilly century rides and cyclosportives in Europe (Marmotte, etc) and maybe someday try road races (crits are a little too hairy for me).

I guess my question is: is there anything else you think I should incorporate to continue see my FTP rise? I am a bit worried about plateauing but haven't seen it yet. I haven't felt the need to rest or take it easy for a week, so I just keep plowing through.

Thanks for any all input
Euskadi
definitely sounds hard enough! By quick reckoning I estimate around 800 Tss/wk or a CTL in the 110-120 range. Can you confirm that?

Are all weeks like this or do you take a regular or occasional light week?

Without any additional info, my 1st comment would be that five hard days in a row (M-F) is unusual. You find you can maintain the intensity of the course of the week like that? Especially the L5 work on day five of that block??

FWIW, I've found that three hard days in a row is all I can take before needing a much lighter or rest day and IIRC many folks have found the same.

Euskadi said:
Hi all,

Thanks for any all input
Euskadi
2x20s three times per week? I don't know how you do it physically or mentally..bleh.

rmur17 said:
definitely sounds hard enough! By quick reckoning I estimate around 800 Tss/wk or a CTL in the 110-120 range. Can you confirm that?
Last week I hit 897 TSS and CTL was 114. If I can figure out how to post a picture here I can get a snap shot of performance manager for you.

rmur17 said:
Are all weeks like this or do you take a regular or occasional light week?
So far I have not taken any light or off weeks.

rmur17 said:
Without any additional info, my 1st comment would be that five hard days in a row (M-F) is unusual. You find you can maintain the intensity of the course of the week like that? Especially the L5 work on day five of that block??
Right now my L4 intervals are at 305W and are tough to finish, the last 10 minutes are hard but achievable. My Fridays are hard, and I have not been able to complete the 4 interval at target wattage, off about 10-15 watts over the last couple weeks.

rmur17 said:
FWIW, I've found that three hard days in a row is all I can take before needing a much lighter or rest day and IIRC many folks have found the same.
Thats the primarily why I figured I would ask openly about what folks thought. My guess is my FTP is underestimated and I should probably work in a test somewhere.

mullerrj said:
2x20s three times per week? I don't know how you do it physically or mentally..bleh.
I ride in front of the TV and watch a bunch of stuff that I record on the DVR. I wouldn't be able to do it without that distraction. I work from home, so I can get the workout in as a lunch break, and make up for any lost work time at night after the kids are asleep.

The 2X20s aren't that bad, its the 1hr SST/lower L4 that is tough.

Euskadi said:
I ride in front of the TV and watch a bunch of stuff that I record on the DVR. I wouldn't be able to do it without that distraction. I work from home, so I can get the workout in as a lunch break, and make up for any lost work time at night after the kids are asleep.

The 2X20s aren't that bad, its the 1hr SST/lower L4 that is tough.
Kudos to you for your training regimine. I'm not sure I could maintain such a tough workout calendar. Yeah, I too need a distraction. I watch DVD concerts with uptempo tunes from Led Zep, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. when I do my tough intervals. I'm in the transition phase now so my CTL and ATL have dropped-off considerably..although I'm not going to let it drop too much, because I don't want to feel like I'm starting all-over again. I made that mistake last year, and peaked too late in the season. Keep it goin' Rob

Euskadi said:
Hi all,

Thanks for any all input
Euskadi

Wow that's a lot of work day in and day out. You must eat really well and have no other stress in your life. :p

For me to complete a similar workout plan, I must be very motivated. For a regular week with a regular level of motivation, I will not be able to complete this. My personal plan reflects this by having 3 hard 1 easy 2 hard 1 easy cycles.