Professional Cycling · Public discussion

Thoughts on 32-inch wheels?

Started by BzY · · Last activity · 4 posts · 42 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Professional Cycling
Published
23 September 2026
Last activity
25 September 2026
Original author
BzY
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
42
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have been seeing reports that brands like Trek, Scott, and KTM are testing 32-inch prototypes. It looks like these oversized wheels are already winning at the MTB Marathon World Championships and the UCI Gravel World Series. To support this, Fox and RockShox have prototype forks for this size.

    From a practical standpoint, those rollover and speed benefits sound great, but I worry about the trade-offs. For shorter riders, the increase in rotating mass and the potential shift in frame geometry could be a real headache. I would rather spend my money on components that actually improve the ride quality for my size rather than chasing a new trend that might not fit.

    Do the rollover and speed benefits of 32-inch wheels outweigh the penalties in rotating mass and frame geometry for shorter riders?

  2. I wouldn’t call it a worthwhile trade for shorter riders as a general rule. The rollover gain is real, but it has to be weighed against whether the frame can preserve fit, toe clearance and handling. Elite wins show 32s can work in a race, not that the compromise suits every rider. Extra wheel mass costs more when you’re accelerating or climbing; I’d choose based on the rider and course, not assume bigger is faster.

  3. I’d worry more about the small-frame fit than the mass. At 6'5", I have more room to package a big wheel than a short rider; that doesn’t mean I’d want a 32 shoehorned into an ordinary frame. The extra mass shows up most when accelerating or climbing, not as a permanent penalty once rolling. If a purpose-built short frame keeps the fit and handling, fine. If it doesn’t, the rollover gain isn’t worth a compromised bike.

  4. The “once rolling” qualification only holds on level ground at steady speed. On a climb, every extra gram still has to be lifted, whether you’re accelerating or not. I’d accept a purpose-built 32 on a smooth, fast course if the fit is genuinely right, but the mass penalty doesn’t disappear just because it’s up to speed.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.