thoughts on best rechargeable commuter nite light

Barbara L

Guest
Going to be communting after dark soon from a new job. At least 1 hr each way. I had an old cayete
handlebar mounted battery light from years ago. It didn't seem to do much except point at the
ground. I don't see that well in the dark anyway so I would like something that helps me see rather
than just be seen.

Light sytemes have come along way since then. Some seem over kill for my needs but then again I
don't want to waste money on something that just gets by for now and won't work for longer times.

A helmut light would seem to have more versatilty than a bar mounted one. So I would like to find
one that has both capabilities. But it seems that the more economical ones (<$100) come one way or
the other.

Are dual beams useful? Do they make helmuted mounted dual beams or are they too heavy.

I am a bit confused as to where the battery goes. If its in the bottle cage or on the frame are the
wires long enough to reach the helmut.

A resonable charge time would be important and again it seems that they reasonable ones have 15-17
hr charges.

I've need where the niterider has a red tail light that can be attached to the same battery pack as
the front light. Again are the wires long enough and easy enough to not get tied up in wires while
communting.

Models I've read about in catalogs are the Cygolite nite lite rover ni-cad extra and night explorer,
planet light ,some of the Performance View Point and of course the expensive but hi quality nite
rider evolution, evolution digital, and trail rat. Though i can't quite figure out what the real
price point difference is. REI has the EvolutioDigital on sale for $180.

Any insights or adivse would be appreciated before I drop some possible big bucks.

Thanks,

Barbara L

Barbara L <[email protected]> wrote:
>Going to be communting after dark soon from a new job. At least 1 hr each way. I had an old cayete
>handlebar mounted battery light from years ago. It didn't seem to do much except point at the
>ground. I don't see that well in the dark anyway so I would like something that helps me see rather
>than just be seen.

Consider a dynamo ("generator" to the Americans). Dynamo systems typically use very well focused
headlights such as the Lumotec and Bisy headlights that make excellent use of relatively small power
output; I would not be unhappy to ride on unlit roads with only my dynamo-driven headlight in the
event of failure of my other two headlights.

Bottle dynamos are cheap; hub dynamos are really, really nice.

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Skz*[email protected]...
> Consider a dynamo ("generator" to the Americans). Dynamo systems typically use very well focused
> headlights such as the Lumotec and Bisy headlights that make excellent use of relatively small
> power output; I would not be unhappy to ride on unlit roads with only my dynamo-driven headlight
> in the event of failure of my other two headlights.
>
> Bottle dynamos are cheap; hub dynamos are really, really nice.

Caveat: I last used a dynamo in the 1970s.

I found dynamos to be a real pain, greatly increasing the effort of riding my bike.

The other downside to dynamos is that if you stop, they stop. So when you come to a stop sign, your
visibility to others drops precipitously.

I'm very happy with a pair of Cateye HL-1500's on the handlebars; a pair is bright enough (aim one
spot just ahead of the other) and causes oncoming traffic to dim their lights when they see two
lights coming. 4 AA's each, I use NiMH AA's.

A pair of Vista Eclipse taillights on the rear, for what it's worth, with 2 regular AAA's.

Pairs also give traffic some distance judgment.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

"Barbara L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:9bX%a.175209$uu5.33196@sccrnsc04...
> Going to be communting after dark soon from a new job. At least 1 hr each way. I had an old cayete
> handlebar mounted battery light from years ago. It didn't seem to do much except point at the
> ground. I don't see that well in the dark anyway so I would like something that helps me see
> rather than just be seen.
>
> Light sytemes have come along way since then. Some seem over kill for my needs but then again I
> don't want to waste money on something that just gets by for now and won't work for longer times.
>
> A helmut light would seem to have more versatilty than a bar mounted one. So I would like to find
> one that has both capabilities. But it seems that the more economical ones (<$100) come one way or
> the other.

Most commuters prefer a bar mounted light.

> Are dual beams useful? Do they make helmuted mounted dual beams or are they too heavy.

Dual beam lights are primarily for off-road cycling.

> I've need where the niterider has a red tail light that can be attached to the same battery pack
> as the front light. Again are the wires long enough and easy enough to not get tied up in wires
> while communting.

I bought the Niterider "system", and got the first generation taillight. Nice to have a taillight
running off rechargeable batteries. The wiring came off/on pretty easily with little velcro straps.

> Models I've read about in catalogs are the Cygolite nite lite rover ni-cad extra and night
> explorer, planet light ,some of the Performance View Point and of course the expensive but hi
> quality nite rider evolution, evolution digital, and trail rat. Though i can't quite figure out
> what the real price point difference is. REI has the EvolutioDigital on sale for $180.

If not on a budget, Niterider is OK. Overpriced, heavy, lousy mounting brackets, confusing
multiplexed controls, are the drawbacks. For commuting, I'd go with the most bullet-proof 10-15 W,
single head, bar mounted, system I could find, Performance brand if on a budget, Niterider, if not.

Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Consider a dynamo ("generator" to the Americans). Dynamo systems typically use very well focused
>>headlights such as the Lumotec and Bisy headlights that make excellent use of relatively small
>>power output;
>Caveat: I last used a dynamo in the 1970s.

I'd never have guessed.

>I found dynamos to be a real pain, greatly increasing the effort of riding my bike.

This is not true anymore. The difference between my Schmidt hub dynamo on, off and not fitted is
barely perceptible, and the better bottle dynamos have comparable drag when switched on (and zero
when switched off, clearly).

>The other downside to dynamos is that if you stop, they stop. So when you come to a stop sign, your
>visibility to others drops precipitously.

This is also not true anymore. Most rear LEDs for use with dynamo lighting can be bought with a
capacitor that drives the light for up to four minutes when stationary; and the Lumotec headlights
are available with a standlight - the capacitor drives not the main bulb, but a separate LED inside
the reflector. It's not as bright but of course you need only a "being seen" light while stationary,
not a "seeing" light.

Barbara L wrote:
> A helmut light would seem to have more versatilty than a bar mounted one.

I think a helmet-mounted light makes a good supplementary light but isn't so satisfactory as an only
light. The reason is that when the (only) light is mounted close to the eye there are no shadows and
everything looks flat, which makes objects in one's path a little harder to gauge. A second issue is
that in fog or rain, the light gets reflected directly back into one's eyes.

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:x+t*[email protected]...
> Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>Consider a dynamo ("generator" to the Americans). Dynamo systems
typically
> >>use very well focused headlights such as the Lumotec and Bisy headlights that make excellent use
> >>of relatively small power output;
> >Caveat: I last used a dynamo in the 1970s.
>
> I'd never have guessed.
>
> >I found dynamos to be a real pain, greatly increasing the effort of
riding
> >my bike.
>
> This is not true anymore. The difference between my Schmidt hub dynamo on, off and not fitted is
> barely perceptible, and the better bottle dynamos have comparable drag when switched on (and zero
> when switched off, clearly).
>
> >The other downside to dynamos is that if you stop, they stop. So when
you
> >come to a stop sign, your visibility to others drops precipitously.
>
> This is also not true anymore. Most rear LEDs for use with dynamo lighting can be bought with a
> capacitor that drives the light for up to four minutes when stationary; and the Lumotec headlights
> are available with a standlight - the capacitor drives not the main bulb, but a separate LED
> inside the reflector. It's not as bright but of course you need only a "being seen" light while
> stationary, not a "seeing" light.

Good. Sounds like 30 years worth of development effort has paid off.

Planet Bike has a new light out called the Alias. It looks like it is well designed and made. It has a "Spectra Blue" halogen blub that is supposed to be 25% brighter than other halogens of the same power, NiMH batteries(the best kind), and a true smart charger. I don't have one but, if I were in the market I would get one of the at half or a third of the price of a Niterider. They list it at 150 & 200 but I have seen them fo 99 & 135. Does anyone have real world experience with these?