Thoughts on best touring bike?

[email protected] wrote:
> the folding bike

You can get a conventional bicycle that breaks down to a compact size
with S&S couplers. The only real disadvantage is the price: a premium
of something like $400. Look at <www.sandsmachines.com>.

There are others that do the same, but all are not created equal. The
Ritchey Breakaway has received bad reviews here.

The main advantages are ease of air travel, and perhaps, to be able to
take your bicycle up to your hotel room. Not bad but then the vast
majority of touring is done without them.

0

41 wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > the folding bike

> You can get a conventional bicycle that breaks down to a compact size
> with S&S couplers. The only real disadvantage is the price: a premium
> of something like $400. Look at <www.sandsmachines.com>.

Sorry, make that <sandsmachine.com>.

Also, take a look at <www.heronbicycles.com>, something I forgot to
mention earlier.
,

41 wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > the folding bike

> You can get a conventional bicycle that breaks down to a compact size
> with S&S couplers. The only real disadvantage is the price: a premium
> of something like $400. Look at <www.sandsmachines.com>.

Sorry, make that <sandsmachine.com>.

Also, take a look at <www.heronbicycles.com>, something I forgot to
mention earlier.
,

In article <[email protected]>,
JeffWills ([email protected]) wrote:

> I'd be willing to bet that the 20" (ETRTO 406) tires on the Bike Friday
> bikes are more available worldwide than 700C tires. They're the common
> standard for most kid's bikes.

Arbut Young Master Robert's Bike Friday runs 451's...

While you were out at the Rollright Stones, I came and set fire to your
Shed.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> JeffWills ([email protected]) wrote:
>
> > I'd be willing to bet that the 20" (ETRTO 406) tires on the Bike Friday
> > bikes are more available worldwide than 700C tires. They're the common
> > standard for most kid's bikes.

> Arbut Young Master Robert's Bike Friday runs 451's...

Only the racey Bike Friday's use the 451 size. All of the touring
models of Bike Friday use the 406 size. And since Bike Friday's are
literally custom, you can ask for whichever wheel size you want. 406
20" BMX tires and tubes are available in almost every town in the US,
if not most of the world. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pamida, True Value, etc.
anyone who has kid stuff has them. I'm pretty sure the Bike Friday
touring models will accept the wide BMX knobby tires so you can get by
just fine until you find a skinnier 20" tire.

As for world wide touring, the 26" 559 tire is probably the most
common. Mountain bike tires. Much easier to find than 700C. Might be
a toss up between the 26" 559 and 20" 406 as to which is the easiest to
find in the less developed parts of the world.