Thoughts on bike gear technology advancement

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote

in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

model
> > for
> > >
> > > There was no such thing as a new XT 180mm crankset in square taper.
> > > But I would not have had any problem buying one if I could have found
> > > one.

> > But there are a number of other manufacturers that make those cranks...

> Really? News to me. Tell me, Pete, who - besides Shimano - makes XT

stuff?

How...pedantic. Not surprising though.

Please focus on this bit right here------->"180mm crankset in square taper"

If you think you need Shimano instead of other equally good brands, perhaps
you're a blind brand loyalist or something similar.

> > > But mostly, I went
> > > with it because I had no idea square-taper XT existed anywhere. I
> > > would have bought that, if I could have.

> > That is truly odd. You actually limited yourself to Shimano cranks

rather
> > than getting a square taper crank from one of the many companies that

offer
> > them?
> >
> > Why?

> Read what I have written on the subject. You'll find the clue you lack.

I'm not interested in reading all of your posts to figure out why you would
limit yourself to Shimano when then are many other manufacturers that make
perfectly compatible cranks.

Sorry.

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote

in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Seriously, if I have perfectly functional XT gear, why do I need to go
> > > out and buy XTR to try it out? If you supply the *measured*
> > > difference in torsional rigidity between '03 XT and '03/04 XTR, then
> > > maybe we have a place to start in a discussion over "better."
> > >
> > > (Hint: read the post before you go off and make all kinds of
> > > assumptions.)

> > Ah, so you haven't tried the new stuff yet you continue to whine about
> > planned obsolescence.

> Who said I hadn't tried it?

"Send me a free set so I can try them out. That way I won't have to
spend $400 (or whatever XTR goes for now) to see "for myself."

Maybe you forgot this part? You're really losing it this time. It is quite
spectacular though.

> > Perfect.

> Ahh, assumptions...
>
> > As far as supplying measured rigidity, LOL.

> So, I'm supposed to just believe some marketing hype spouted off in
> USENET?

ROTFLMAO.

Real world experience from people who have tried both cranks is now
"marketing hype"?

You're too much.

> Get real. All kinds of myths about materials exist - and
> claims made by someone who may or may not have any idea of what he's
> talking about don't prove anything.

Ah, more RBT geekitude. Awesome!

> > The fact is that the new XTR/Saint stuff is very good, and noticably

better
> > than the older stuff, or Raceface.

> According to whom? You? LOL - "I bought it, so it must be good."

Uh...yeah right Spider. I don't have my self-worth wrapped up in what kind
of cranks I ride.

It's quite simple. They are better. They were better before I owned them and
they're also better now.

I've bought plenty of **** and have no problems identifying those products
as such. In this case, the new XTR stuff is simply superior.

You're projection is quite telling though...

install,

> > > *How* superior? Enough to throw away $150 of perfectly useable gear?
> > > Send me a free set so I can try them out. That way I won't have to
> > > spend $400 (or whatever XTR goes for now) to see "for myself."

> > Thanks for admitting once again that you have no bassis for comparision.

> Oh, I do have a bassis [sic]. Your inferrences based on unfounded
> assumptions aside, of course.

Hmmm...more fantasies, eh?

> > It
> > really just comes down to you whining for the sake of hearing yourself
> > whine, eh?

> And your counter-whine is what, exactly?

Not a counter whine. Just an attempt at educating someone who is apparently
hopelessly clueless. I try.

> > p.s. I never suggested that you throw away usable gear.

> ********. What else am I going to do with it? Start some
> metal-sculpture project?

LOL.

You're apparently really wrapped up this time Spider. Here's a bit of
Spiderism:

Please quote where I suggested that you throw away usable gear.

> > > Again, how superior? I will give you "ease of installation." But
> > > that's not worth $400. Maybe it is to you, but not to me. Weight?
> > > the weight difference from carrying a couple of Powerbars? Give me a
> > > break.

> > Ease of installation

> That, and weight - already given. I'll drag two extra Powerbars up
> the hill for $400, thanks. Installation? I'm not sure how much
> faster it is than installing a cartridge BB and regular crank arms,
> but since I'm not installing 100 of them a day, I don't think that's
> much of an issue.
>
> > stiffness

> An unsubstantiated claim.

LOL again at the RBT geekitude.

> > ease of maintenance

> How much simpler can it be - pull out old, used cart. BB, throw in a
> new one. Is it worth $250 over the limited lifetime of the product?

Simply replacing the outboard bearings is easier with the new setup. Again,
you obviously don't know jack about the new system. That and your silly
whine about planned obsolescence makes for entertaining reading.

> > Let me help Spider:

> No, let *me* help *you*:

That'll be the day Fred.

> "To poopoo it simply because it's new is to be a retrogrouch lemming."
>
> I'm not poopooing the stuff simply because it's new. Re-read my
> comments for the clue you need.
>
> Oh, and you quoted out of context:
>
> "I like new tech that makes real improvement. Incremental, small,
> performance-neutral tech that costs a lot of dough and obsoletes my
> existing, perfectly-functional gear is what bothers me."
>
> See that first sentence? It's not a throw-away. Thanks for playing.

And that just about sums it up...you lack the experience with the new stuff
that would allow you to understand that it's anything but incremental,
small, performance-neutral tech.

It also doesn't obsolete your existing equipment.

So what do you have left to whine about?

Stephen Baker wrote:

> John Morgan says:
>
>>Bike tires can cost $40 a piece... same as the
>>50,000 mile guaranteed tires on my car.

> Ahem! Where do you buy your tyres. Here in RI I can't find a decent tyre
> for under about $80 (just "around town" tyres, nuttin' special)
> I once (and once only) put cheapo tyres on the family car - result was a
> hydroplane (with 3 cars helping crunch the wagon), concussed wife with a
> pelvis broken in 3 places, and 2 well-bruised kids (other two were safely
> strapped in their kiddie seats and sound asleep.)
>
> There's cheap, and then there's inexpensive...

Heheh, I have 14" tires on my economy sedan. I buy my tires at Discount
Tire Co. They work fine, as there is no weather but hot and dry here.

John M

John Morgan wrote:
| Stephen Baker wrote:
|
|| John Morgan says:
||| Bike tires can cost $40 a piece... same as the
||| 50,000 mile guaranteed tires on my car.
|| Ahem! Where do you buy your tyres. Here in RI I can't find a
|| decent tyre for under about $80 (just "around town" tyres, nuttin'
|| special)
|| I once (and once only) put cheapo tyres on the family car - result
|| was a hydroplane (with 3 cars helping crunch the wagon), concussed
|| wife with a pelvis broken in 3 places, and 2 well-bruised kids
|| (other two were safely strapped in their kiddie seats and sound
|| asleep.)
|| There's cheap, and then there's inexpensive...
|
| Heheh, I have 14" tires on my economy sedan. I buy my tires at
| Discount Tire Co. They work fine, as there is no weather but hot and
| dry here.
|
| John M

I've got 14" Triumphs on my car. Stick to the pavement like glue.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com
_______

<lots o' snipage throughout, doesn't matter, nobody will read it anyways>

>> > Like wheels? Or the parallelogram RD? Or chain-drive?

>> Those are all good technologies, but as soon as the opportunity to
>> improve them or replace them comes along, you can be damn sure it's going
>> to happen.

> The bicycle wheel hasn't changed much in 100 years. This according to
> The Man, Jobst Brandt. Paralellogram derailleurs have been around for
> decades. Chain drive is the most efficient of all the tried set-ups.
> Has been for over a century. Now, maybe in twenty or so years, some
> new, whizzy materials will render some of those things obsolete, and
> I'll be on board for real improvement - like I said before, I'm
> totally on-board with stuff that makes a real difference.

Of course, I'm sure anyone that could afford it would be glad to accept
giant leaps in technology that obviously improve performance.
Unfortunately, improvements usually come in small, incremental, performance
neutral steps.

>> > Uhhh, no. I bought an XT crankset because of value/dollar. $120 for
>> > the crankset, $20 for the BB - hard to beat. It just happened to be
>> > Octalink-only. I do not plan on being a gear ***** and buying the
>> > latest and greatest crankset in two years time. I want this thing to
>> > last a while.

>> Why not go for the better value/dollar of an older square taper model for
>> $60?

> There was no such thing as a new XT 180mm crankset in square taper.
> But I would not have had any problem buying one if I could have found
> one.

XT? I was suggesting you go with square taper LX or Deore level. I mean,
we're talking value and Deore is great for that. You can punish Deore
components just as long as anything else, then replace them for half the
cost when they wear out.

>> 3.) I would say it's been the standard for a while, failed no... because
>> it's better than what we had before it existed.

> If the "standard" fades away after only a few years, then it wasn't a
> very good standard.

I have a more progressive attitude about this. The length of time a
standard is in place isn't as important as getting someplace better with a
newer standard. You said yourself it's about the quality of the ride...
and you probably rarely think about your gripe with Shimano while you're
cruising along. Nothing wrong with being satisfied by the gear you
currently have, but where do you draw the line between being satisfied and
wanting to upgrade to newer and better stuff? Is it at the $60 price
point? $120? $200? Really, the whole issue boils down to cost. If you
could get the new XTR stuff for less dough, you wouldn't have any
complaint, would you?

>> > What does Dual Control do for me? The new crank and BB style?
>> > Centerlock hubs and disks? Low-normal vs. high-normal? 1.5 headtube
>> > diameter?

>> Try them out and answer your own questions.

> LOL. Nice tactic. No, I want *you* to tell me why you think they are
> so great that I should change my bike over to them. What makes them
> worth the money? Why should I spend so much, if the benefits aren't
> easily apparent?

Alright, I will meet you half-way. I've owned a splined XT setup and I've
owned a new XTR setup. I've owned dual-control, rapid fire, and grip shift
setups. Honestly, they all work great. I have no complaints about any of
them. The new XTR runs the smoothest and "feels" higher quality than
anything I've tried. I'm a lightweight, so I couldn't tell you if XTR is
any stiffer than what you use (I never noticed any flex in my XT cranks).
The larger outboard bearings are superior in feel, that's for sure. I've
heard they will last longer, having a larger surface area... but I'm like
you, I am usually fairly easy on my gear. The new generation gear shifts
smoother, pedals smoother, brakes smoother, and is lighter weight than
anything I've used.

I know what you're going to say, it's not worth $400 for "feel" right? Of
course it isn't, not while your XT stuff works fine... and especially not
since you now have 4 BBs in stock. When it's time to upgrade, though I
recommend you go with the new standard (if it's still around - LOL). And
by then the cost will have come down.

LOL, look Jonesy, why not just buy the newest thing out there and ride the
edge of the wave? It's the *only* way to beat the system of obsolescence.
You're playing a losing game right now and you know it. =P

Give in to the dark side once, and you'll forget why you ever fought it in
the first place.

> Or they are pushing gear that might be better, or slightly better,
> via a marketing strategy that obsoletes designes that are three years
> old, in order to get folks to buy gear faster.  Do the Centerlock
> brakes actually brake better than ISO-mount brakes?  How much weight
> does it save?  Is that weight savings worth the entire price it would
> cost to switch (hubs, rotors)?

Shimano designed a new XTR-level disc brake from the ground up. Why not
create something *new* that may revolutionize disc brakes? All that is
sacrificed is a little bit of compatibility (and even then the end user is
still given the choice - being able to use XT rotors on any ISO hub they
want). Again, being market driven, if it isn't what the public wants, it
won't stick.

>> They
>> aren't the government, you know. I can't believe I'm here defending
>> SHIMANO... but have you thought any of this through?

> Have you read what I have written? Keep it civil, John.
>
>> The 'Man' is not trying to keep you down in this case, Jonesy.

> Where did I claim they were?

Your entire argument against
corporate-giant-800-pound-gorilla-microsoft-business-model Shimano screams
it.

> I like being able to grab a ton of gears at once, and
> not have to click through all of them. That's one of the things I
> love about Gripshift.

Yup me too.

I feel kind of bad for starting this thread now, it wasn't intended to call
you out, Jonesy. I respect your opinion, but there's really not a lot left
that can be said about the subject until someone else adds another
perspective.

John M

"p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote

> in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Ah, so you haven't tried the new stuff yet you continue to whine about
> > > planned obsolescence.

> > Who said I hadn't tried it?

> "Send me a free set so I can try them out. That way I won't have to
> spend $400 (or whatever XTR goes for now) to see "for myself."

Ooops, you snipped this part:

"Seriously, if I have perfectly functional XT gear, why do I need to
go
out and buy XTR to try it out?"

See, here's the thing, my reading-comprehension-impaired friend - I
have indeed ridden it. But not on my bikes. So it's not really a
fair test, is it? The answer to the question you ignored was, "you
don't."

Now, I'd just love to do a side-by-side test, but I am not going to
spend hundreds of dollars to do it. Is the message sinking in, or do
I have to write it in crayon?

Read this: http://www.bcx.net/hypnosis/placebo.htm

> You're too much.

No, my head is screwed on straight. Folks who claim something without
any kind of proof? Sort of MJV-like.

> > Get real. All kinds of myths about materials exist - and
> > claims made by someone who may or may not have any idea of what he's
> > talking about don't prove anything.

> Ah, more RBT geekitude. Awesome!

Dodging the issue doesn't make it disappear. Did you know that folks
used to think the heavens circled the earth? Why, they saw it with
their own eyes! Likewise, bicycle lore abounds - straight-gauge vs.
swaged spokes, the stiffness of Al frames vs. the compliance of steel,
etc, etc.

Pete, I deal in reality. You don't have any sort of evidence other
than your "feelings" on the matter.

See that website I gave above.

> > > The fact is that the new XTR/Saint stuff is very good, and noticably

> better

> > > than the older stuff, or Raceface.

> > According to whom? You? LOL - "I bought it, so it must be good."

> Uh...yeah right Spider. I don't have my self-worth wrapped up in what kind
> of cranks I ride.

That's why you are arguing about it, then? Accusing me of being some
kind of brand loyalist is amusing in it's irony.

> It's quite simple. They are better.

Blah, blah, blah. Of course they are better. That's not really the
question, even if you happen to think it is. The real question, if
you had actually been paying attention is "*how* much better?" Is it
really worth getting rid of perfectly usable stuff? No, it really
isn't.

> I've bought plenty of **** and have no problems identifying those products
> as such. In this case, the new XTR stuff is simply superior.

Nobody is calling the new XTR ****, and nobody is saying they aren't
an improvement. Try and keep up, OK?

> install,

> > > Thanks for admitting once again that you have no bassis for comparision.

> > Oh, I do have a bassis [sic]. Your inferrences based on unfounded
> > assumptions aside, of course.

> Hmmm...more fantasies, eh?

Nope, just your mistaken inferrences from not actually reading what
was written. Thanks for playing.

> > > It
> > > really just comes down to you whining for the sake of hearing yourself
> > > whine, eh?

> > And your counter-whine is what, exactly?

> Not a counter whine.

Sure it is. You're all upset that I'm dissing your gear - like it
means anything, what *I* think. Otherwise you wouldn't rant on and on
about how great it is. What was that you were saying about brand
loyalty, again? LOL.

> Just an attempt at educating someone who is apparently
> hopelessly clueless. I try.

Irony at it's height. You can't be arsed to read my previous
comments, and then get all shirty when you screw up and assume what
ain't there. Freakin' hilarious.

> > > p.s. I never suggested that you throw away usable gear.

> > ********. What else am I going to do with it? Start some
> > metal-sculpture project?

> LOL.
>
> You're apparently really wrapped up this time Spider. Here's a bit of
> Spiderism:
>
> Please quote where I suggested that you throw away usable gear.

Here's a logic lesson, unless you are just being ironically pedantic:

If I put XTR on my bike, I must take off the XT.

Since the other bike already has XT, the take-off has nowhere useful
to go.

So, give it away, throw it away, put it in storage to take up space,
or try and sell it (no guarantees of sale.)

So, you go right ahead and tell me about how the money I spent on the
gear will somehow magically get back in my pocket.

> > That, and weight - already given. I'll drag two extra Powerbars up
> > the hill for $400, thanks. Installation? I'm not sure how much
> > faster it is than installing a cartridge BB and regular crank arms,
> > but since I'm not installing 100 of them a day, I don't think that's
> > much of an issue.
> >
> > > stiffness

> > An unsubstantiated claim.

> LOL again at the RBT geekitude.

Until there's something other than your biased word on it, then I'm
not buying it. John Morgan said "smoother." *That* I'll buy. I have
very serious doubts you can feel any difference in bending or
rotation. Maybe if we stacked up a bunch of matresses, and put a pea
under the bottom one...

> > > ease of maintenance

> > How much simpler can it be - pull out old, used cart. BB, throw in a
> > new one. Is it worth $250 over the limited lifetime of the product?

> Simply replacing the outboard bearings is easier with the new setup.

And that saves how much time per year? 10 minutes? Yes, superior.
Not much, but some. Worth the additional price? LMAO.

> > > Let me help Spider:

> > No, let *me* help *you*:

> That'll be the day Fred.

Too late, already stuck you on the incorrect generalization, and the
incorrect conclusion.

Try and keep up.

> > "To poopoo it simply because it's new is to be a retrogrouch lemming."
> >
> > I'm not poopooing the stuff simply because it's new. Re-read my
> > comments for the clue you need.
> >
> > Oh, and you quoted out of context:
> >
> > "I like new tech that makes real improvement. Incremental, small,
> > performance-neutral tech that costs a lot of dough and obsoletes my
> > existing, perfectly-functional gear is what bothers me."
> >
> > See that first sentence? It's not a throw-away. Thanks for playing.

> And that just about sums it up...you lack the experience with the new stuff
> that would allow you to understand that it's anything but incremental,
> small, performance-neutral tech.

In my metric, which you would know if you had bothered to actually
read what I wrote, it is incremental, it is small, and it is
performance-neutral. Of course, if you don't bother reading, you
won't know what the other parameter is that goes unstated. Not my
problem.

> It also doesn't obsolete your existing equipment.

Let's see: How do I mount my ISO rotors to a Centerlock hub? Oh,
yeah - go out and BUY a Problem-solvers adapter. Yeah, that's not
making obsolete. LOL. And I can mount the Centerlock rotors to what
ISO hubs?

When I break, bend, or otherwise screw up my XT crank, I can just go
out and buy a new XT part to replace it? No? It won't fit, you say?
Hmmm, no obsolescence there, either. LOL, again.

My XT RD is high-normal. If I break it, where do I find another XT
high-normal RD, if they are all low-normal? Now, I dunno if this is
going to happen or not - so that one's an open question.

After my stash of Octalink BBs runs out, do you think I'll be able to
go right down and buy one, after they have been OOP for a couple of
years? No, I'll have to actually go out and search for one, with no
guarantee that my very popular BB size will still be available. I
know that square-taper BBs will be around, however. From Truvative
and RF, if needed.

So now you can explain in detail how none of these incompatabilities
are obsolescence in action. I can't wait.

> So what do you have left to whine about?

Folks in USENET who quote out of context and don't actually read for
comprehension?
--
Jonesy

"p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote

> in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> model
> for

> > > But there are a number of other manufacturers that make those cranks...

> > Really? News to me. Tell me, Pete, who - besides Shimano - makes XT

> stuff?
>
> How...pedantic. Not surprising though.

You complaining about pedantic commentary is wonderful irony. Sweet!

> Please focus on this bit right here------->"180mm crankset in square taper"
>
> If you think you need Shimano instead of other equally good brands, perhaps
> you're a blind brand loyalist or something similar.

After pimping XTR, you sure are all full of irony, aren't you?

I had a specific reason for looking at XT.

> > > That is truly odd. You actually limited yourself to Shimano cranks

> rather
> > > than getting a square taper crank from one of the many companies that

> offer
> > > them?
> > >
> > > Why?

> > Read what I have written on the subject. You'll find the clue you lack.

> I'm not interested in reading all of your posts ...

So, you come in on the middle of a thread and spread around your
********, when all you needed to do was read a little in that thread -
the part before you decided to drop your pearls of wisdom?

Classic.

Your answer has already been posted. Go look it up.
--
Jonesy

John Morgan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%rvAc.6743$u%3.5153@fed1read04>...
> <lots o' snipage throughout, doesn't matter, nobody will read it anyways>

[snip] Some folks do read this stuff, LOL.

> > like I said before, I'm
> > totally on-board with stuff that makes a real difference.

> Of course, I'm sure anyone that could afford it would be glad to accept
> giant leaps in technology that obviously improve performance.

That's what I mean about disk brakes and suspension. Even SPV shocks
are pretty neat stuff. I consider these things to be significant
improvements.

> Unfortunately, improvements usually come in small, incremental, performance
> neutral steps.

I agree. Which is why I don't buy a computer or computer parts when
the latest/greatest hits the shelves. I like to buy my performance
upgrade all in one shot.

> >> Why not go for the better value/dollar of an older square taper model for
> >> $60?

> > There was no such thing as a new XT 180mm crankset in square taper.
> > But I would not have had any problem buying one if I could have found
> > one.

> XT? I was suggesting you go with square taper LX or Deore level. I mean,
> we're talking value and Deore is great for that.

I wanted the best value for my dollar. I felt that XT was the
lightest, strongest gear I could get for that money. I accepted
Octalink as a downside, but only a downside because I would prefer to
be able to do my own BB maintenance. This is where the new XTR is
attractive.

Another reason was that the Fango has chainstays that require the
curved shape of the Shimano stuff. So says Mr. Castellano, on the
spec sheet that came with the bike.

> You can punish Deore
> components just as long as anything else, then replace them for half the
> cost when they wear out.

It's true. I almost did buy LX, but the supplier I was buying from
didn't have any 180mm.

> >> 3.) I would say it's been the standard for a while, failed no... because
> >> it's better than what we had before it existed.

> > If the "standard" fades away after only a few years, then it wasn't a
> > very good standard.

> I have a more progressive attitude about this. The length of time a
> standard is in place isn't as important as getting someplace better with a
> newer standard. You said yourself it's about the quality of the ride...
> and you probably rarely think about your gripe with Shimano while you're
> cruising along.

No, I don't, really. I like the fact that the gear works well and
that it's pretty cheap for the performance level.

> Nothing wrong with being satisfied by the gear you
> currently have, but where do you draw the line between being satisfied and
> wanting to upgrade to newer and better stuff?

I do that when I break, bend or am upgrading due to other reasons
(disk brake hubs, and to replace the hubs that the shitty LBS screwed
up by not putting grease in them. Don't get me started...)

> Is it at the $60 price
> point? $120? $200? Really, the whole issue boils down to cost.

I agree - I am willing to go new tech if the price is right. XTR
ain't got the right price.

> If you
> could get the new XTR stuff for less dough, you wouldn't have any
> complaint, would you?

Depends - but I sure as heck wouldn't buy it now - my XT gear works
just fine, and I'm quite happy with it's performance. I frankly can't
tell the difference between the XTR on a riding buddy's bike and my
XT. It pedals, it stops, it changes gears. And it doesn't do it so
much better as to have me going "holy ****, I gots to get me that
stuff!"

> >> Try them out and answer your own questions.

> > LOL. Nice tactic. No, I want *you* to tell me why you think they are
> > so great that I should change my bike over to them. What makes them
> > worth the money? Why should I spend so much, if the benefits aren't
> > easily apparent?

> Alright, I will meet you half-way. I've owned a splined XT setup and I've
> owned a new XTR setup. I've owned dual-control, rapid fire, and grip shift
> setups. Honestly, they all work great. I have no complaints about any of
> them. The new XTR runs the smoothest and "feels" higher quality than
> anything I've tried.

That's fine. It feels good. Heck, isn't that the reason we sometimes
buy one more expensive pair of pants over a cheaper pair?

> I'm a lightweight, so I couldn't tell you if XTR is
> any stiffer than what you use (I never noticed any flex in my XT cranks).
> The larger outboard bearings are superior in feel, that's for sure. I've
> heard they will last longer, having a larger surface area

I'll buy both of those - they actually make some sort of sense. I'm
on the border of clyde, and I never noticed any flex in my XTs either.
Frankly, on an FS bike, I have no idea how anyone could feel some
very small flex in the crankset.

> but I'm like
> you, I am usually fairly easy on my gear. The new generation gear shifts
> smoother, pedals smoother, brakes smoother, and is lighter weight than
> anything I've used.
>
> I know what you're going to say, it's not worth $400 for "feel" right?> Of
> course it isn't, not while your XT stuff works fine...

You *do* understand my point! And if you talk about braking and
shifting in addition to pedalling, it's getting closer to $1k, right?

> and especially not
> since you now have 4 BBs in stock. When it's time to upgrade, though I
> recommend you go with the new standard (if it's still around - LOL). And
> by then the cost will have come down.

I suspect I will have no choice but to go to some kind of different
standard. Octalink will be dead, probably (maybe the 105 gruppo will
continue on with Octalink...), and I'll have cranks that will be worth
their weight in aluminum.

> LOL, look Jonesy, why not just buy the newest thing out there and ride the
> edge of the wave? It's the *only* way to beat the system of obsolescence.
> You're playing a losing game right now and you know it. =P

You got that right. Raceface is going to an external bearing BB
set-up, too. But I'll bet that they keep the ISIS and square-taper
stuff going, for a while at least. Maybe by the time I've run out of
BB, there'll be a whole new standard that obsoletes everything!

> Give in to the dark side once, and you'll forget why you ever fought it in
> the first place.

Disk brakes, full suspension, really wide, low-pressure tires...

Damn, I'm halfway there...

> > Or they are pushing gear that might be better, or slightly better,
> > via a marketing strategy that obsoletes designes that are three years
> > old, in order to get folks to buy gear faster. Do the Centerlock
> > brakes actually brake better than ISO-mount brakes? How much weight
> > does it save? Is that weight savings worth the entire price it would
> > cost to switch (hubs, rotors)?

> Shimano designed a new XTR-level disc brake from the ground up. Why not
> create something *new* that may revolutionize disc brakes?

Here we must part company - the design is essentially the same. The
same as disk brakes have been for 40 or so years.

> All that is
> sacrificed is a little bit of compatibility (and even then the end user is
> still given the choice - being able to use XT rotors on any ISO hub they
> want). Again, being market driven, if it isn't what the public wants, it
> won't stick.

IIRC, XT is now going Centerlock as well. M760/765, I think.

> >> The 'Man' is not trying to keep you down in this case, Jonesy.

> > Where did I claim they were?

> Your entire argument against
> corporate-giant-800-pound-gorilla-microsoft-business-model Shimano screams
> it.

Shimano is big. Very big. They own a huge portion of the bike parts
biz. Because they can offer very low cost OEM gear, they can, by
their very size, dictate the design, good or bad.

This is not paranoia, but just plain observation. In addition, since
their OEM buyer often buy the gruppos in full sets, compatablity
issues from year to year really don't touch them much. Last year, ISO
+ ISO rotor. This year, Centerlock + Centerlock rotor. It's still a
wheelset that does exactly the same thing as last year's. Who cares
if it's different? (Just an example.)

> > I like being able to grab a ton of gears at once, and
> > not have to click through all of them. That's one of the things I
> > love about Gripshift.

> Yup me too.
>
> I feel kind of bad for starting this thread now, it wasn't intended to call
> you out, Jonesy.

Don't be, and you didn't. My reasons for making the choices I do
might not make a ton of sense to everyone, and that's OK. It's my
money, and I'll spend it like I see fit. I have my opinions, and they
sure as hell aren't going to match everyone elses', LOL. I do,
however, consider myself a reasonable and careful shopper, no matter
what the item - bike, car, stereo, lawnmower...you get the idea. If I
screw up in my purchases, I will tell folks what, and why.

I'll start with two things:

Lawnmower. I bought a Troy-bilt. It had all the features I wanted,
for a decent price. But that price turned out to be false economy,
because half of those features failed right out of the warranty
period, in an expensive fashion. Now I have a very heavy POS mower
that I plan to run until the engine seizes. I am not putting another
drop of oil in that damn thing, either. And wouldn't you know it, I
haven't seen the level of oil drop on the dipstick in two years.
Great - the whole thing's a POS EXCEPT the motor. LOL.

Fork. I got a Marz Z1 Flylight 80. It's a nice fork, except that
it's an air fork. Even at very low pressure, it's harsh in it's
travel, ramping up too fast as it nears the end of it's stroke. I
prefer MUCH more the coil-n-oil varieties of Marzocchi forks. Don't
get me wrong, I think the Flylight is pretty good, but I wouldn't get
another single-chamber air fork. (Maybe the Doppio Air is a better
system. I'd have to try it to see.)

> I respect your opinion, but there's really not a lot left
> that can be said about the subject until someone else adds another
> perspective.

I agree with you there. Maybe my Shimano-free pledge is foolish. But
I'm going to go for it until I have a reason not to.

Thanks for a good discussion,
--
R.F. Jones

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

to go

then

about

> > > Who said I hadn't tried it?

> > "Send me a free set so I can try them out. That way I won't have to
> > spend $400 (or whatever XTR goes for now) to see "for myself."

> Ooops, you snipped this part:
>
> "Seriously, if I have perfectly functional XT gear, why do I need to
> go
> out and buy XTR to try it out?"
>
> See, here's the thing, my reading-comprehension-impaired friend - I
> have indeed ridden it. But not on my bikes. So it's not really a
> fair test, is it? The answer to the question you ignored was, "you
> don't."

So you've ridden it on another bike(s) yet you still haven't neen able to
form a conclusion. Perfect.

<snip a whole bunch more of the same fredly flailing>

The mere fact that you consider the experiences of people with much, much
more riding experience, in depth and width, than yourself because you're
unable to see the "proof" (ala RBT geekitude) speaks volumes about your
hangups Spider.

They are just bikes after all. To whine about big bad ole Shimano
"obsoleting" your gear is both silly, and inaccurate.

It's too bad that you're all wrapped up in the "argument" and unable to see
the forest for the trees.

It's trite, but it it REALLY seems that you need to spend some more time
riding.

Perhaps then you would be able to understand what's being discussed.

Cya,

Pete