thoughts on how to hang your bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jason, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Does anyone have any thoughts on hanging bicycles for storage? Is there any danger in hanging upside
    down or from the front wheel? Perhaps because the bike is designed to be upright, hanging in any
    other manner could cause lubrication to run out or undue stress on wheels? This seems like a
    far-fetched danger to me, but I wanted to make sure before I mount hooks to store my new bike.

    Or perhaps I should hang upright at a 12% up angle to get my bike used to climbing :)

    Regards, Jason

    Tags:

  2. Hanging upside down can cause the little-known but serious reverse gravity fatigue. This is also a
    threat if you take a Northern Hemisphere bike to Australia, or an Australian bike here. This is
    explained by translogimorpholigical extrusons which are parellel to the relevant pole at the time
    of alloy extrusion, and become fixed in that position. Prof. Adolph Tolstoy of the Univeristy of
    Southern Ukraine discovered this phenomenon in 1954 and it gave the USSR an early lead in the
    Space race.

  3. Jason wrote:
    > Does anyone have any thoughts on hanging bicycles for storage? Is there any danger in hanging
    > upside down or from the front wheel?

    I hang my bikes from the front wheel, and I recently discovered one possible problem--it seems some
    oil-filled mountain bike forks leak slowly from around the seals, gradually draining them.

    My Marzocchi has been fine, but my Fox Vanilla fork ran out of oil over the course of a few months.
    When I took it in to the shop to get it filled (yes, I'm a mechanic wimp), the mechanic told me he'd
    discovered on disassembly that the seals weren't very seally. He asked if I was hanging it upside
    down. I said yes and he said "don't do that."

    It's been nearly a year since then, and I still have oil. :)

    Duke

  4. David

    David Guest

    "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps because the bike is designed to be upright, hanging in any other manner could cause
    > lubrication to run out or undue stress on wheels? This seems like a far-fetched danger to me, but
    > I wanted to make sure before I mount hooks to store my new bike.

    Some forks will drip oil if hung upside-down. This is obvious, and not something to worry about--if
    the bike does it, hang it differently (or don't hang it over your car, or whatever).

  5. John'S Cat

    John'S Cat Guest

    On 30 Jun 2003 09:25:25 -0700, [email protected] (Jason) wrote:

    >Does anyone have any thoughts on hanging bicycles for storage? Is there any danger in hanging
    >upside down or from the front wheel? Perhaps because the bike is designed to be upright, hanging in
    >any other manner could cause lubrication to run out or undue stress on wheels? This seems like a
    >far-fetched danger to me, but I wanted to make sure before I mount hooks to store my new bike.
    >
    >Or perhaps I should hang upright at a 12% up angle to get my bike used to climbing :)

    That's the one. That way, all the bearings will settle in the 'climbing position' and run so much
    more freely on the uphill stretches. They will be a little more rough on the downhill so your bike
    will run slightly less efficiently, but this will reduce wear on the brakes.

    Win-win, I think.

  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    [email protected] (Jason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone have any thoughts on hanging bicycles for storage? Is there any danger in hanging
    > upside down or from the front wheel? Perhaps because the bike is designed to be upright, hanging
    > in any other manner could cause lubrication to run out or undue stress on wheels? This seems like
    > a far-fetched danger to me, but I wanted to make sure before I mount hooks to store my new bike.
    >
    > Or perhaps I should hang upright at a 12% up angle to get my bike used to climbing :)
    >
    > Regards, Jason

    im no expert, but..

    it seems like most every bike shop i go into which is pressed for space hangs bikes of all types by
    the rear wheel. i would assume it would have come back to them by now if it was damaging. so i do
    the same. no problems yet. (actually, i hang my own by the front, but i suppose its no different)

    one conceivable problem i can think of would be bikes with hydraulic brakes. bubbles in the
    lever might travel into the line, or get into a spot where they would be fed into the line, if
    the bike was stored upside down, or in some odd position. but ive never tried that, and maybe it
    isnt a problem.

    -anthony

  7. This has probably started a long joke thread, so I'll give a straight answer. Hang your bike any way
    you want. Just be careful if you hang it by the frame not to scratch the paint (use coated hooks).
    and if you hang it in any position other that upright, remove your water bottles if there is any
    liquid in them.

    Other than that, don't worry about it

    P.S. Hanging it by the wheels will NOT make them go out of true, despite claims to the contrary :-3)

  8. In regards to my previous post, I didn't know about the suspension forks leaking.

  9. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    waahhl pardner first ya gottsta find yersef a large old oak tree, then yous gonna need a
    rope........

    Duke Robillard wrote:

    > Jason wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any thoughts on hanging bicycles for storage? Is there any danger in hanging
    >> upside down or from the front wheel?
    >

    > I hang my bikes from the front wheel, and I recently discovered one possible problem--it seems
    > some oil-filled mountain bike forks leak slowly from around the seals, gradually draining them.
    >
    > My Marzocchi has been fine, but my Fox Vanilla fork ran out of oil over the course of a few
    > months. When I took it in to the shop to get it filled (yes, I'm a mechanic wimp), the mechanic
    > told me he'd discovered on disassembly that the seals weren't very seally. He asked if I was
    > hanging it upside down. I said yes and he said "don't do that."
    >
    > It's been nearly a year since then, and I still have oil. :)
    >
    > Duke

  10. F1

    F1 Guest

    Actually, metaphysicists have recently discovered a magnetic parallel angstallism which allows a
    static extrusion to react to the relevant magnetic pole 180 degrees out of phase from horizontal,
    which is dependant upon geographic position of the translogimorpholigical extruson in question.
    This reactionary metallurgy tends to strenghten the bike in the vertical plane over time (assuming
    an inverted storage position and not accounting for rake in the front fork, as the complexity of
    the study assumed a 0 degree rake.) Given the disposition of the frame to strengthen throughout the
    hanging process, it tends to harden the ride of the bike, but only to the degree of the ratio of
    ride-to-hang time of the frame in question. Frames which were stored 90 degrees from horizontal
    were excepted from the study. The study results were crucial to the development of the X-53 VTOL
    aircraft due to the vertical nature of the aircraft. Any suspension-type bicycles were not included
    in the study.

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hanging upside down can cause the little-known but serious reverse gravity fatigue. This is also a
    > threat if you take a Northern Hemisphere bike to Australia, or an Australian bike here. This is
    > explained by translogimorpholigical extrusons which are parellel to the relevant pole
    at
    > the time of alloy extrusion, and become fixed in that position. Prof.
    Adolph
    > Tolstoy of the Univeristy of Southern Ukraine discovered this phenomenon
    in
    > 1954 and it gave the USSR an early lead in the Space race.

  11. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Jason at [email protected] wrote on 6/30/03 9:25 AM:

    > Does anyone have any thoughts on hanging bicycles

    Assuming a trial by fair and impartial jury, and appropriate appeals process
    -

    EQUIPMENT

    The following items are required for a competent hanging.

    1. A Gallows should be utilized having the following basic characteristics.

    A. A floor height of at least nine (9) feet to allow for a minimum clearance of about one (1) foot
    on the drop.

    B. A crossbeam height of nine (9) feet giving an approximate clearance of three (3) feet above
    the executee.

    C. An opening and trap door of at least three (3) feet square to allow proper clearance for
    the executee.

    D. Means of releasing the trap door. This is normally accomplished by utilizing two bolts under one
    side of the door which are actuated by a common mechanism, either linkage rods or cable.

    E. Means for stopping the trap door swing after it has fallen. This is normally accomplished
    utilizing a mechanical metal spring catch or a counterweight and a "rope grabber".

    F. An eyelet or fastening mechanism for the rope containing the Hangman's Noose.

  12. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > > Does anyone have any thoughts on hanging bicycles
    >
    > Assuming a trial by fair and impartial jury, and appropriate appeals
    process
    > -

    What if I don't want to wait out the appeals process??

    Mike

  13. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    Yeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!! Let the fun begin!!!!!

    Hang it anyway you want that nothing will happen. Enjoy the rest of the answers that you will get.
    Let me assure you, the people in this newsgroup are actually nice in spite of what their answers
    will make you think.

    Andres

    [email protected] (Jason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone have any thoughts on hanging bicycles for storage? Is there any danger in hanging
    > upside down or from the front wheel? Perhaps because the bike is designed to be upright, hanging
    > in any other manner could cause lubrication to run out or undue stress on wheels? This seems like
    > a far-fetched danger to me, but I wanted to make sure before I mount hooks to store my new bike.
    >
    > Or perhaps I should hang upright at a 12% up angle to get my bike used to climbing :)
    >
    > Regards, Jason

  14. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. My assumption that the manner of hanging is irrelvant (for a
    road bike anyway) has been coroborated. I appreciate both the serious and the fun responses.

    Kind Regards, Jason

    news:<[email protected]>...