thoughts on k2 bike at REI for newbie

wannatour

Oct 20, 2005
I am a newbie that has been debating which bike to get and I decided I am going to learn how to swim and do a triathlon as well as use the bike for commuting and try some touring and cyclocross along the way and I want to use the same bike for it all. I have done plenty of reading on this forum and others and just wanted to get some expert opinions on this bike. the plus is that when rei has their divedend I can get 20% off this bike!
K2 Enemy bike 2006
Thanks
Ken

wannatour said:
I am a newbie that has been debating which bike to get and I decided I am going to learn how to swim and do a triathlon as well as use the bike for commuting and try some touring and cyclocross along the way and I want to use the same bike for it all. I have done plenty of reading on this forum and others and just wanted to get some expert opinions on this bike. the plus is that when rei has their divedend I can get 20% off this bike!
K2 Enemy bike 2006
Thanks
Ken

Looks good for commuting and touring, OK for cyclocross, will get you through the triathlon, but will be slow compared to a road racer or tri-specific bike. It could be made substantially faster for the road with lighter wheels and tires though.

For a triathlon or two, it will be fine. If you end up loving the racing, you will want a new race bike anyway.

Thanks for the fast feedback I plan on putting thinner tires for tris, how much difference would a road racer or tri specific bike make if I clip on aero bars and go eith the lighter wheels and tires or just the tires?
John M said:
Looks good for commuting and touring, OK for cyclocross, will get you through the triathlon, but will be slow compared to a road racer or tri-specific bike. It could be made substantially faster for the road with lighter wheels and tires though.

For a triathlon or two, it will be fine. If you end up loving the racing, you will want a new race bike anyway.

wannatour said:
K2 Enemy bike 2006
Thanks
Ken
Good for commuting with other smooth tires.
OK for Cyclocross
Not good for loaded touring with this fork, gears, and tires.
Not good for Tri or any other road racing with these tires.