Thoughts on Proposed Radio Ban?

meehs

Nov 7, 2003
Wow! The look of the forum has changed a lot since I last visited. I like it! And I don't see any junk posts. I dropped in to see what you guys were talking about with respect to this year's TdF and I haven't posted in a long time.

They've been talking a lot, on the Versus coverage of the TdF, about a proposed ban on the radios that the riders use to communicate with the team cars. The proponents claim it'll add to the spontaneity of the races. That seems like a good thing for the cycling fan, but I'm not sure that that will really be the actual result of the ban. What do you guys think about it?

I hope I'm not duplicating a tread but I didn't see anything about this.

meehs said:
Wow! The look of the forum has changed a lot since I last visited. I like it! And I don't see any junk posts. I dropped in to see what you guys were talking about with respect to this year's TdF and I haven't posted in a long time.

They've been talking a lot, on the Versus coverage of the TdF, about a proposed ban on the radios that the riders use to communicate with the team cars. The proponents claim it'll add to the spontaneity of the races. That seems like a good thing for the cycling fan, but I'm not sure that that will really be the actual result of the ban. What do you guys think about it?

We'll see if the riders have the ability to think for themselves... Looking forward to it.

meehs said:

Do you know what stage this is happening on?

Bruyneel had 14 teams sign a petition against it. Because, of course, he is special.

I oppose the use of radio communication between riders and team cars.
It's an old hobby horse of mine - i think that instant communication has taken something away from the sport.

It has removed the riders need to be tactically aware of moves on the road.
All moves by another teams riders can be communicated in an instant, removing the need for riders to have to watch and assess matters when they happen on the road.

limerickman said:
I oppose the use of radio communication between riders and team cars.
It's an old hobby horse of mine - i think that instant communication has taken something away from the sport.

It has removed the riders need to be tactically aware of moves on the road.
All moves by another teams riders can be communicated in an instant, removing the need for riders to have to watch and assess matters when they happen on the road.
And this has probably contributed to the boring mountain stages and lack of attacks in general.

The riders are given time checks by the motorbike timemen.

if there was no radio communication between cars and riders, riders would have to make decisions themselves.
Also if there wasno radio communication between cars and riders,
riders would have to assess the strength of the breakaway group themselves without relying on instant data from a team car.

Also if there was no radio communication between cars and riders,
team cars would have to observe the driving rules of TDF cars.
Meaning that team cars would have to wait their turn to get access to their riders to divulge information (because there would be no radio communication).

I think that this last point would be a big factor - in forcing riders to have to calculate more and remove their reliance on having to get advice from the team car.
And I think it would make the race a lot more interesting.

Alright, my thoughts on radios:

The riders should definitely have one way radio's connected to race radio to give them information about hazards, weather conditions, problems etc etc.

As for team radio's. Not really sure on this one. If you take them away then riders are just going to have to drop back to their team cars to get directions more often. However over all the amount of information getting from DS to rider will be decreased. I guess overall I'd support getting rid of these radio's, because it will make the riders rely on their own instincts more, but I would also impose a system where you limit how often riders can drop back and chat to the DS about stuff because weaving through the caravan is dangerous to the riders.

Maybe have one or two team radio's per team? That might be worth a try.

No radio. Just a minibus within 21 representants or DS of teams positionned just on the back of the peloton. So riders would not have to ride inside the cars.
Those guys could have a radio communication with their DS.
Possibility to add a bottle car for everyone too.

It's not before time they banned the radios.

Everybody knows video killed the radio star

Video kills the radio star..... thats awful. It wouldn't work you know. Those 50 inch plasma screens would block the riders view cause sever balance and control issues and contribute to a lack of safety. Not to mention that they're not particularly aerodynamic.

It also wouldn't help the radio thing cos you'd need someone saying left a bit right a bit yep thats it you're doing fine. Mind the thousand foot drop oooops I meant lleft I know I said right. sorry

There should only be a "race radio" where comms are given on safety issues (narrow bridges, tight corners etc) from the safety offcer - no comms between DS's and riders.

While I didn't watch the tour intently before radios.. I can't help but feel that making them unavailable will add some excitement into the racing. I hear the safety concerns.. but I think they're being used as a justification for keeping them to a greater extent than they actually affect safety.

Eldron said:
There should only be a "race radio" where comms are given on safety issues (narrow bridges, tight corners etc) from the safety offcer - no comms between DS's and riders.

This would nullify Johan et al's protestations about danger.

This being the Tour, teams would no doubt start bribing the race radio djs, but then it's the natural progression from caltrops and sneaky train rides.

I hope it ushers in a bit of drama, that's why we watch it right?

limerickman said:
The riders are given time checks by the motorbike timemen.

if there was no radio communication between cars and riders, riders would have to make decisions themselves.
Also if there wasno radio communication between cars and riders,
riders would have to assess the strength of the breakaway group themselves without relying on instant data from a team car.

Also if there was no radio communication between cars and riders,
team cars would have to observe the driving rules of TDF cars.
Meaning that team cars would have to wait their turn to get access to their riders to divulge information (because there would be no radio communication).

I think that this last point would be a big factor - in forcing riders to have to calculate more and remove their reliance on having to get advice from the team car.
And I think it would make the race a lot more interesting.

All good points. I would have to agree.