Thoughts on the FFTF

Craig Brossman

Guest
First of all, the drive up the Million Dollar Highway from Durango to Fruita has got to be a
top drive in the continental US. If your spouse gets a little worked up over 2K foot drops,
bring valium.

Rode with a local on Thurs; a trail which sees little travel in a beautiful area. The definition of
single track. His knowledge, friendliness and good hosting sense made it difficult to concentrate on
the trail. You'd like this guy ... and no, he is not a long haired freak.

Rode the other popular rides over the next few days, Mary's Loop, Horsethief Bench, Chutes and
Ladders, Prime Cut, Western Zip, Front Side ... All very good trails, well maintained, fun for
beginner and experienced rider alike. Scenery was terrific.

I also got out on Moore Fun by myself, no one else in my group was up for it, probably best. I rode
from west to east, choosing to gain some elevation on the road and save the extra downhill for the
trail. It is 4.5 miles long, written up as the most technical trail in the area, it is the most
technical trail I have ridden in Fruita; here is how it went: For the first 20 minutes in slapped me
silly. Not too steep uphill, but plenty of twisty turns, rocks, drops, rocks and exposure. After a
slow speed endo in the first half a mile, which bent my front brake lever severely, I lost all
confidence. The next 20 minutes, she raised her hand in anger several times, but never struck. You
know how that is, now I questioned every minor obstacle I saw. Eventually I just had to stop, check
out the view and get my head together. Reached the apex, hung out with a guy coming the other
direction and enjoyed the company. The next 2.5 miles downhill were great, easily as hard as the
uphill I had done, but now I had a little momentum. My confidence had returned and I rode well, only
worrying on occasion that the left brake lever would snap after my effort to bend it back into
place. Route finding was difficult at times, often I had to slow considerable, loose my momentum and
look around. Moore Fun, a very good ride!

The festival itself was great. It is small enough that you see the same people at the festival
grounds, trails and hotel. Very good bunch of people, young fast guys, older (even than me) couples
touring the country in their motor home, all types. My wife got to demo a few nice full rigs, the
Trek Fuel, Klein Maverick design, Specialized Epic, Titus Racer X. She like the Specialized the
best, though I was hoping she would like the Titus. But for a $2,800 small framed bike, 28.5 lbs
seems high, and she noticed it when hiking. The guys at Titus turned us off as well, made it tough
for her to try the bike, one hour late on Sunday morning when we were to return the bike and trying
to get back home. My hats of though to the Trek guy Eric, very nice and helpful guy.

Thanks Fruita, we had a great time, but in the future, remember, you only have a couple of
restaurants in town. When the size of the town triples overnight, stock up on food and don't try to
close at 9:00 on a Saturday night. Bikers have no problems eating or drinking beer, and we don't
mind paying you to provide it.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First of all, the drive up the Million Dollar Highway from Durango to
Fruita
> has got to be a top drive in the continental US. If your spouse gets a little worked up over 2K
> foot drops, bring valium.
>
> Rode with a local on Thurs; a trail which sees little travel in a
beautiful
> area. The definition of single track. His knowledge, friendliness and good hosting sense made it
> difficult to concentrate on the trail. You'd like
this
> guy ... and no, he is not a long haired freak.

Nice folks in that area. Long haired freak or not. Must be something in the water...

> Rode the other popular rides over the next few days, Mary's Loop,
Horsethief
> Bench, Chutes and Ladders, Prime Cut, Western Zip, Front Side ... All very good trails, well
> maintained, fun for beginner and experienced rider
alike.
> Scenery was terrific.
>
> I also got out on Moore Fun by myself, no one else in my group was up for it, probably best. I
> rode from west to east, choosing to gain some
elevation
> on the road and save the extra downhill for the trail. It is 4.5 miles
long,
> written up as the most technical trail in the area, it is the most
technical
> trail I have ridden in Fruita; here is how it went: For the first 20 minutes in slapped me silly.
> Not too steep uphill, but plenty of twisty turns, rocks, drops, rocks and exposure. After a slow
speed
> endo in the first half a mile, which bent my front brake lever severely, I lost all confidence.
> The next 20 minutes, she raised her hand in anger several times, but never struck. You know how
> that is, now I questioned every minor obstacle I saw. Eventually I just had to stop, check out the
> view and get my head
together.
> Reached the apex, hung out with a guy coming the other direction and
enjoyed
> the company. The next 2.5 miles downhill were great, easily as hard as the uphill I had done, but
> now I had a little momentum. My confidence had returned and I
rode
> well, only worrying on occasion that the left brake lever would snap after my effort to bend it
> back into place. Route finding was difficult at
times,
> often I had to slow considerable, loose my momentum and look around. Moore Fun, a very good ride!

I love Moore Fun. It's a beautifully designed trail. Fun in either direction but I usually ride it
East to West so I can continue up Mack Ridge and then come back on Try/Lions/Mary's. They seem to
flow together nicely that way.

> The festival itself was great. It is small enough that you see the same people at the festival
> grounds, trails and hotel. Very good bunch of
people,
> young fast guys, older (even than me) couples touring the country in their motor home, all
> types. My wife got to demo a few nice full rigs, the Trek Fuel, Klein Maverick design,
> Specialized Epic, Titus Racer X. She like the Specialized the best, though I was hoping she
> would like the Titus. But
for
> a $2,800 small framed bike, 28.5 lbs seems high, and she noticed it when hiking. The guys at Titus
> turned us off as well, made it tough for her to try the bike, one hour late on Sunday morning when
> we were to return the bike and trying to get back home. My hats of though to the Trek guy Eric,
> very nice and helpful guy.

One of these years I may go and meet these festival goers. Maybe. It's so nice to go when there's
nobody around that I'm not sure if I need to go during a festival.

One note on the Epic, I like it too and agree the M4 frame seems heavy. If you can afford it, the
S-Works M5 version shaves off a few pounds. That's what I settled on and It's a great ride.

> Thanks Fruita, we had a great time, but in the future, remember, you only have a couple of
> restaurants in town. When the size of the town triples overnight, stock up on food and don't try
> to close at 9:00 on a Saturday night. Bikers have no problems eating or drinking beer, and we
> don't mind paying you to provide it.
>
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Matt

"Craig Brossman" wrote
> I also got out on Moore Fun by myself, no one else in my group was up for it, probably best.

I unfortunately missed the FFTF again this year, due to circumstances beyond my control.

Moore Fun, an awesome trail! It definitely kicks me in the behind, but I love it. I've ridden it
twice, and the 2nd time (West to East) I was amazed at my riding partner, Ben, who cleaned *almost*
everything first try. He did screw up one "easy" part right at the end, but got it 2nd try. Anyone
know someone who has cleaned the entire trail end to end, first try?

Mark Bockmann

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:57:43 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

|Thanks Fruita, we had a great time, but in the future, remember, you only |have a couple of
restaurants in town. When the size of the town triples |overnight, stock up on food and don't try to
close at 9:00 on a Saturday |night. Bikers have no problems eating or drinking beer, and we don't
mind |paying you to provide it.

Ditto, and someone needs to slap the owner of Diorio's Pizza with a business sense stick.

Why would he stick to his "normal" hours and remain closed on Sunday druing the festival?

Pete Fagerlin

Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> First of all, the drive up the Million Dollar Highway from Durango to Fruita has got to be a
> top drive in the continental US. If your spouse gets a little worked up over 2K foot drops,
> bring valium.
>
> Rode with a local on Thurs; a trail which sees little travel in a beautiful area. The definition
> of single track. His knowledge, friendliness and good hosting sense made it difficult to
> concentrate on the trail. You'd like this guy ... and no, he is not a long haired freak.

He sounds like a dork.

> Rode the other popular rides over the next few days, Mary's Loop, Horsethief Bench, Chutes and
> Ladders, Prime Cut, Western Zip, Front Side ... All very good trails, well maintained, fun for
> beginner and experienced rider alike. Scenery was terrific.

They (the trails) weathered the onslaught really well. I think most of this was due to festival
attendees having a clue or quickly garnering one from the rampant propaganda that lets them know
staying on the trail keeps them good enough to keep coming back to enjoy.

> I also got out on Moore Fun by myself, no one else in my group was up for it, probably best. I
> rode from west to east, choosing to gain some elevation on the road and save the extra downhill
> for the trail. It is 4.5 miles long, written up as the most technical trail in the area, it is the
> most technical trail I have ridden in Fruita; here is how it went: For the first 20 minutes in
> slapped me silly. Not too steep uphill, but plenty of twisty turns, rocks, drops, rocks and
> exposure. After a slow speed endo in the first half a mile, which bent my front brake lever
> severely, I lost all confidence. The next 20 minutes, she raised her hand in anger several times,
> but never struck. You know how that is, now I questioned every minor obstacle I saw. Eventually I
> just had to stop, check out the view and get my head together. Reached the apex, hung out with a
> guy coming the other direction and enjoyed the company. The next 2.5 miles downhill were great,
> easily as hard as the uphill I had done, but now I had a little momentum. My confidence had
> returned and I rode well, only worrying on occasion that the left brake lever would snap after my
> effort to bend it back into place. Route finding was difficult at times, often I had to slow
> considerable, loose my momentum and look around. Moore Fun, a very good ride!

I guided some freaks from Canada (eh) on it yesterday. It was in really good shape.

> The festival itself was great. It is small enough that you see the same people at the festival
> grounds, trails and hotel. Very good bunch of people, young fast guys, older (even than me)
> couples touring the country in their motor home, all types. My wife got to demo a few nice full
> rigs, the Trek Fuel, Klein Maverick design, Specialized Epic, Titus Racer X. She like the
> Specialized the best, though I was hoping she would like the Titus. But for a $2,800 small framed
> bike, 28.5 lbs seems high, and she noticed it when hiking. The guys at Titus turned us off as
> well, made it tough for her to try the bike, one hour late on Sunday morning when we were to
> return the bike and trying to get back home.

Bummer about Titus. I needed some bushings and bolts for The Freak and every time I went by their
booth, there was a mob there. Finally I caught up with Al Brown on Saturday evening just as they
were closing up and he quickly found what I needed.

> My hats of though to the Trek guy Eric, very nice and helpful guy.

They need to have something going for them because their bikes just don't match up to what else was
there. I heard some really positive things about the Yeti crew, their bikes and how they were
handling the demos.

> Thanks Fruita, we had a great time, but in the future, remember, you only have a couple of
> restaurants in town. When the size of the town triples overnight, stock up on food and don't try
> to close at 9:00 on a Saturday night. Bikers have no problems eating or drinking beer, and we
> don't mind paying you to provide it.

Fruita will always be Fruita. Some mof the old-timers just have not learned in the last 8 years.
There is good news (I hope) in that a brewpub is going in caddy-corner from OTE. If they d things
right, I just may have to ride on that side of this bountiful valley more often.

I'm glad you enjoyed the FFTF, Craig. You know that you're welcome back anytime.

JD

On 28 Apr 2003 16:09:06 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

|They (the trails) weathered the onslaught really well. I think most |of this was due to festival
attendees having a clue or quickly |garnering one from the rampant propaganda that lets them know
staying |on the trail keeps them good enough to keep coming back to enjoy.

*cough* Greg Herbold *cough*

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 28 Apr 2003 16:09:06 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
>
> |They (the trails) weathered the onslaught really well. I think most |of this was due to festival
> attendees having a clue or quickly |garnering one from the rampant propaganda that lets them know
> staying |on the trail keeps them good enough to keep coming back to enjoy.
>
> *cough* Greg Herbold *cough*

You noticed that too.

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:57:43 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> |Thanks Fruita, we had a great time, but in the future, remember, you only |have a couple of
> restaurants in town. When the size of the town triples |overnight, stock up on food and don't try
> to close at 9:00 on a Saturday |night. Bikers have no problems eating or drinking beer, and we
> don't mind |paying you to provide it.
>
> Ditto, and someone needs to slap the owner of Diorio's Pizza with a business sense stick.
>
> Why would he stick to his "normal" hours and remain closed on Sunday druing the festival?
>
> Pete Fagerlin
>
> Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

You must have been in line when I was on Saturday nite. "Sorry, we aren't making any more pizzas and
we close in 2 minutes". 9:00 on a Saturday nite.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 28 Apr 2003 16:09:06 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
> >
> > |They (the trails) weathered the onslaught really well. I think most |of this was due to
> > festival attendees having a clue or quickly |garnering one from the rampant propaganda that lets
> > them know staying |on the trail keeps them good enough to keep coming back to enjoy.
> >
> > *cough* Greg Herbold *cough*
>
> You noticed that too.

Saw him riding wheelies around the lot on Sunday morning on a dirt bike and helping pull down the
Sram tent. Seemed like a good guy.
--

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:52:55 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

|"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
|news:[email protected]...
|>
|> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
|> news:[email protected]...

|> > festival attendees having a clue or quickly |garnering one from the rampant propaganda that
|> > lets them know staying |on the trail keeps them good enough to keep coming back to enjoy.
|> >
|> > *cough* Greg Herbold *cough*
|>
|> You noticed that too.
|>
|Saw him riding wheelies around the lot on Sunday morning on a dirt bike and |helping pull down the
Sram tent. Seemed like a good guy.

Nice guy (hey, how can anyone who is drinking my Bigfoot be all bad?) but he was doing some crypto
carving because he was riding on the edge during a big group ride.

He caught an earful from what I hear, although I was riding tail when it happened.

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/gotcrypto.jpg

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:57:43 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> |Thanks Fruita, we had a great time, but in the future, remember, you only |have a couple of
> restaurants in town. When the size of the town triples |overnight, stock up on food and don't try
> to close at 9:00 on a Saturday |night. Bikers have no problems eating or drinking beer, and we
> don't mind |paying you to provide it.
>
> Ditto, and someone needs to slap the owner of Diorio's Pizza with a business sense stick.
>
> Why would he stick to his "normal" hours and remain closed on Sunday druing the festival?

Doug no longer runs that store and when he did, it was always open Sundays of the FFTF.
Mis-management has also made their roast beef sandwiches subpar. Next time I see Doug around town,
I'll let him know what's happened to his former domain.

JD